Safari in Kenya

Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Safari in Kenya

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:06:43 +0100, "PeterV"
wrote:

We're planning a trip to Kenya this summer. Does anyone have experience with
Eastern&Southern Safaris ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Peter,

I hope somebody else will chime in with some specific
information.

I just want to point you to some other useful background
information for a Kenya safari, at
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm , particularly the check lists
in the travel preparations chapter.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old March 8th, 2005, 02:27 AM
travelynn

I'd be happy to offer some information to assist in your planning.
Since East and Southern Africa have so much to offer, and I've enjoyed
those offerings on 9 ocassions in the past, here are some questions I
think might be helpful..

::In general is your budget moderate, upscale, cheap as you can go?::

::How long will you be gone?::

::Are you a birder?::How important is photography and getting great
pictures to you?
Is seeing the Big 5 (rhino, lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard--which I
think has been revised to a "spotted cat" for non-traditionalists, so a
cheetah fits the bill) important?
Are you interested in night drives?
Do you want to do some walking?
Would you like to try a short camel safari?
Is your emphasis wildlife--and are there any animals especially near
and dear to your heart?
Would you like some cultural interaction?
Interested in a balloon safari?
Any horseback riding amongst the hooved game?
Are primates important—chimps, gorillas?

You can email me at .

These are my thoughts on pros and cons of the different countries
below.

As to where in Africa...

*_Kenya/Tanzania_* (this assumes you'd do them together)
*Pros:
*The variety and sheer numbers of animals seen for what you spend makes
it the best value
Can see a World Wonder--Ngorongoro Crater
Experience the migration (at the time you're going)
Camel safaris possible
Cultural interactions with Masai (and Samburu) are easy to do
If you go a bit north in Kenya, it is possible to see different species
of zebra, giraffe, and ostrich.
Can see chimps
Closer proximity to the gorillas for less travel time/expense to get
there (if you were to go to Uganda/Rwanda)
For a first safari, it is more typical and common than Southern Africa

*Cons:
*Not as secluded as parts of Southern Africa
Fewer opportunities to walk, although they do exist
Few water activities, boat safaris or canoeing
Fewer night drive opportunities, although they do exist
Open vehicles are less common (and allowed only in private concessions,
not national parks) with pop-ups being used instead

*_Zambia/Zimbabwe
_Pros:*
Adventure--walking, canoeing, boat safaris
Remote, secluded
Pretty good prices
Can do elephant riding in Zimbabwe
Night drives are status quo
Cultural interactions--I know of 2 village stays, one in Zambia and one
in Zimbabwe. Probably more
Can see Victoria Falls, a World Wonder from both countries. I've only
been on the Zimbabwe side, but the area around the falls is
uncommercialized and wild with antelope, mongoose, and monkeys running
around freely. Nice hiking paths too.

*Cons:*
On foot or by boat/canoe, you cannot get as close nor linger with
wildlife. It is afraid of you but not fearful of vehicles.
Good game, but not in the abundance of the Masai Mara, Serengeti,
Botswana, or South Africa.

*_Botswana:_*
*Pros
*Very secluded and beautiful luxury tented camps, not crowded at all
Great game
One of best places to see wild dogs
Can do several days of elephant safaris at Abu's (very expensive and
I've never been there)
A few places allow walking--This summer I'll be in Chitabe where you
walk to an elevated platform to spend the night, then walk out and
spend the next morning on foot.
The Okavango delta, which you can experience on boats or in
mekoros--long narrow boats poled by expert polers.
Many places offer night drives
Can experience the Kalahari Desert--meerkats and San Bushmen

*Cons:*
If you wish to see the "Big 5" you would have to include Mombo, which
has rhino, but costs over $1000 per night. The other game there is
phenomenal, though, and it probably is worth the price.
Expensive--even not at Mombo

_*South_Africa
*_I have no personal experience with safaris here. I think you can see
tremendous game in a short amount of time without too much trouble in
the private reserves. I hope to go some day. The safari experience is
also easily combined with Cape Town (supposedly one of the most
beautiful cities) and the vineyards, to make for a well rounded
holiday. That other non-safari stuff does not hold my interest as
much.

--
travelynn
travelynn's Profile: