7-hour layover in Munich

Old December 29th, 2005, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default 7-hour layover in Munich

Next July (on a Saturday), I will arrive in Munich at 8:00 am but my
connecting flight does not depart until 2:55 pm. I have never visited
Munich before. Is that enough time to go see the city briefly and
maybe eat lunch there? If so, what is the best way to make the trip to
the city, and where should I go? Thank you.
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

AcornMan wrote:

Next July (on a Saturday), I will arrive in Munich at 8:00 am but my
connecting flight does not depart until 2:55 pm. I have never visited
Munich before. Is that enough time to go see the city briefly and
maybe eat lunch there?

Yes.

If so, what is the best way to make the trip to the city,

Take the S-Bahn, hire a cab for the full time or rent a car, depending
on wat you like most and what you are willing to invest.

and where should I go?

To places you are interested in.

Jens
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Take the S-Bahn, hire a cab for the full time or rent a car, depending
on wat you like most and what you are willing to invest.

No car, parking space is scarce in Munich and many places to visit are in
the pedestrians' zone.

7 hours
- 1.5 hours to downtown Munich and back
- 1.5 hours for check-in
- 0.5 hours to be on the safe side
means you have some 3.5 hours in Munich.

Buy a one-day ticket for the S-Bahn, take any train from the terminal and
have a look at the center of Munich. Visit the Frauenkirche, perhaps the
Karl-Valentin-Musäum, stroll across the Viktualienmarkt, watch the carillon
at the Town Hall at 11 a.m., have a beer at the Hofbräuhaus or Weisswürste
at the Donisl and jump into the train back to the airport. That was "Munich
for beginners", just to make you curious.

Have a look into a travel guide for Munich, just to know what you can come
back for.

Or visit
http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/14/index.html (in German)

Old December 30th, 2005, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Turan Fettahoglu turan.fe@invalid wrote:

Buy a one-day ticket for the S-Bahn, take any train from the terminal and
have a look at the center of Munich. Visit the Frauenkirche, perhaps the
Karl-Valentin-Musäum, stroll across the Viktualienmarkt, watch the carillon
at the Town Hall at 11 a.m., have a beer at the Hofbräuhaus or Weisswürste
at the Donisl and jump into the train back to the airport. That was "Munich
for beginners", just to make you curious.

I agree with all the above, except I suggest you have the beer at the
Augustiner Brauhaus, which is a few blocks from the Hofbrauhaus, but has
fewer Tourists, and is more Bavarian (IMHO)

--
Julie
**********
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Turan Fettahoglu wrote:

Buy a one-day ticket for the S-Bahn, take any train from the terminal
and have a look at the center of Munich. Visit the Frauenkirche,
perhaps the Karl-Valentin-Musäum, stroll across the Viktualienmarkt,
watch the carillon at the Town Hall at 11 a.m., have a beer at the
Hofbräuhaus or Weisswürste at the Donisl and jump into the train back
to the airport. That was "Munich for beginners", just to make you
curious.

Sounds more like the "confirmation on Munich prejudice" tour to me :-)

I'd skip Donisl for Weißes Brauhaus (sorry, Julie, Augustiner would only
be second choice) and leave Valentinmusäum for the next visit at least.

Jens
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Jens Arne Maennig wrote:
Buy a one-day ticket for the S-Bahn, take any train from the terminal
and have a look at the center of Munich. Visit the Frauenkirche,
perhaps the Karl-Valentin-Musäum, stroll across the Viktualienmarkt,
watch the carillon at the Town Hall at 11 a.m., have a beer at the
Hofbräuhaus or Weisswürste at the Donisl and jump into the train back
to the airport. That was "Munich for beginners", just to make you
curious.

Sounds more like the "confirmation on Munich prejudice" tour to me :-)

I'd skip Donisl for Weißes Brauhaus (sorry, Julie, Augustiner would only
be second choice) and leave Valentinmusäum for the next visit at least.

I picked Augustiner because it is easy to find, given the rest of the
stuff. I also, on a 3.5 hour layover, would skip all museums.

Julie
--
Julie
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

A visit to the Dachau Concentration Camp is both sobering and
educational. Train and bus departures from downtown Munich; allow 3
hours for the tour. More at websites.