Want to travel!

Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack
[email protected]

Default Want to travel!

Hi everyone,

I've just joined this group because I want to travel around the world
starting in October. Thinking about taking a year out - was made
redundant from a fab job in March and am having trouble finding work,
so thought I would do what I have wanted to do for a while and travel.

The only thing is, I don't know where to start with organising a trip
like this, if any is needed or what I should take with me. Obviously,
I want to travel light and am hoping to kinda work in bars etc to get
more money to move on to somewhere new.

So, if anyone can give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Julia
:-)

Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack
Jim Ley

On 22 Apr 2007 11:37:42 -0700, "
wrote:

The only thing is, I don't know where to start with organising a trip
like this, if any is needed or what I should take with me. Obviously,
I want to travel light and am hoping to kinda work in bars etc to get
more money to move on to somewhere new.

So, if anyone can give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

What matters first is what nationality you are, as that will impact
where you can work...

Jim.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack
Ken Dennis

Julia,

I left Canada back in October 2006 and have been traveling for quite a
few months now. I really just picked up and left, buying the cheapest
ticket to Europe, which for me happened to be to Paris. I looked up a
couple hostels and that was pretty much how I started. I overpacked
way too much crap in my backpack, and I think if I were to do it all
over again, I would seriously take a tooth brush, tooth paste, 2
socks, 2 underwear, 2 tshirts, 1 pants, 2 shorts, and get other stuff
as required on the road. This is especially true if you are heading
to any non-western/european country.

I can't help you on the work part, I've just been traveling... I
haven't actually worked yet... though I've been thinking about it...
Sort of

--
Ken
http://AdventureKen.com/

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack
Jason Kester

I've never even bothered with a Round The World ticket. It just seemed
to limiting, having a date set when you have to move on to another
continent.
My last three RTW trips have been done with One Way tickets to Cape
Town, Bangkok, and Bangkok, respectively. In all but one of those
trips, I ended up buying a couple more point-to-point tickets to hop
over Bodies of water. But mostly, I just traveled by land to wherever
seemed like a good next step.

After about 9 months, I'd get bored and fly back home for a while to
work and save up some more money.

But yeah, I'd agree that Step One is to just buy the ticket. Worry
about planning later. If you have the ticket in hand, it means you
have to actually go! If you try to plan it all first, you'll find
yourself still planning a year from now.

Good luck!

Jason Kester
---
Get your own Travel Blog, with itinerary maps and photos!
http://www.blogabond.com/

Old May 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack
Ken Dennis

Great Advice Jason.

I think on my trip if I hadn't bought the ticket and had it my grubby
little hands I might have procrastinated or found some reason why I
shouldn't go. But now looking back I wouldn't have traded my
experiences for anything.

--
Ken
http://www.AdventureKen.com/