Illegal immigrants - 1800-009-623

Old August 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM
www.poms.co.uk

wrote in message
ps.com...
Report all illegal immigrants, workers & backpackers in Australia:

1800-009-623 or

Toll free, 24 hours a day. $4000AUD award.

Do you get the reward if you report yourself i guess so

----------

FA Australia Pre Pay GSM Sim Card.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Australian-Aus...temZ6552399597
$10 free credit

FA Australia Pre Pay GSM Sim Card.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Australian-Aus...temZ6422774146
$10 free credit

Posted from the UK

Old August 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Frank Slootweg

JohnM wrote:
[deleted]
Indeed. There will be a big campaign here in the UK to attract
immigrants to Oz. I was reading through the list of skills and
apparently if you are a bricklayer, plumber or hairdresser, you're in.

Tell me about it! During our February trip to WA, getting a doctor was
a snap, but a haircut? No way! :-)

Plumbers? We didn't even *try* when our airconditioner flooded our
campervan! :-)

Bricklayers? Don't know. Didn't need them. :-)
Old August 19th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Kerry

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
JohnM wrote:
[deleted]
Indeed. There will be a big campaign here in the UK to attract
immigrants to Oz. I was reading through the list of skills and
apparently if you are a bricklayer, plumber or hairdresser, you're in.

Tell me about it! During our February trip to WA, getting a doctor was
a snap, but a haircut? No way! :-)

Plumbers? We didn't even *try* when our airconditioner flooded our
campervan! :-)

Bricklayers? Don't know. Didn't need them. :-)

I also did a trip around Australia recently. On a couple of occassions I
needed a mechanic. The reply was always the same when I went to a workshop

"Bring it back next week can ya mate"

As you'd expect, I just did the work myself on the side of the road.

Old August 19th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Frank Slootweg

JohnM wrote:
[deleted]
Indeed. There will be a big campaign here in the UK to attract
immigrants to Oz. I was reading through the list of skills and
apparently if you are a bricklayer, plumber or hairdresser, you're in.

Tell me about it! During our February trip to WA, getting a doctor was
a snap, but a haircut? No way! :-)

Plumbers? We didn't even *try* when our airconditioner flooded our
campervan! :-)

Bricklayers? Don't know. Didn't need them. :-)

I also did a trip around Australia recently. On a couple of occassions I
needed a mechanic. The reply was always the same when I went to a workshop

"Bring it back next week can ya mate"

As you'd expect, I just did the work myself on the side of the road.

Our experience was a little better, but indeed most of the time they
are fully booked and, understandably, reluctant to drop scheduled work
to help a 'stranded' tourist. In our experience, some understanding both
ways goes a long way, literally! :-)
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Alan S

was Illegal immigrants

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:39:10 +1000, "Kerry"
wrote:

I also did a trip around Australia recently. On a couple of occassions I
needed a mechanic. The reply was always the same when I went to a workshop

"Bring it back next week can ya mate"

As you'd expect, I just did the work myself on the side of the road.

I can't let that one go. No matter where you go in the world
you'll come across idiots. Shades of the Griswolds.

My experience in 1997 when I wandered the coast from
Rockhampton to the SA Yorke Peninsula and inland as far as
Broken Hill and Lightning Ridge was the opposite. When I
broke a spring in Howard, a tiny town north of Maryborough
(Qld), the local mechanic worked for several hours to remove
it (home-built van, not by me:-), the spring works in
Maryborough made up a new one - and a spare, the RACV paid
for my night in a motel, and the Howard mechanic installed
the new spring the next morning. Spring costs (including
spare) - $40, labour $70.

When the other spring broke in Narrabri - similar service
there, on the spot. In fact, I never had the sort of
problems you mention.

When the car brakes failed near Port Wakefield, the local
mechanic cheerfully did emergency repairs - without charge -
so that we could get to Adelaide safely for a full overhaul.
We had many similar stories over an 8 month trip.

My mum has been wandering around in a solo motorhome for a
few years now - and also has never been stranded like that.
I'd worry if she was - she's 80yo. I think she's somewhere
near Bundaberg at the moment.

Cheers, Alan, Australia