4WD drive & 4WD training

Old February 14th, 2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default 4WD drive & 4WD training

anyone knows what exatcly Britz means by "recognized unsealed roads"?
they only allow their 4WD cars to travel on 'recognized unsealed roads'
but they refuse to give a precise description/definition of that :-(
kind of strange... is it an obvious description of something? not to me
anyhow...

(I'm planning to drive Sydney-Cairns and want to see some outback qld
as well as northern savannah...)

also - I'm planning to rent a 4WD just for the freedom of visiting
anything that's worth visiting, but I'm not too much into
desert/bush/beach off-road driving; for what I know "road" is a broader
term in Australia than in Europe ) I want a scent of wild australia,
but I don't plan to go off-road just for the fun of that (except for
some romantic beaches and Frazer Island perhaps).
Having said that - do you think it makes any sense for me to go to a
4WD driving course?
or as long as I stay on road (be it sealed or unsealed) my regular
driving experience and common sense should be enough?

artur

Old February 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

I'd think they meant any unsealed road that is gazetted and/or maintained by
the RTA or local shire - e.g. yes to the Tanami Road or Birdsville Track, no
to the Canning Stock Route. I'd be a little less clear about unmaintained
tracks such as the Gunbarrel.

As for driving technique, it depends on your experience. For example, I
learned that sand driving is almost exactly the opposite to snow driving;
you need to pay close attention to tyre pressure in changed conditions
(rock/sand/mud); and the like. Preparation is at least as important as
technique (experienced 4x4'ers get stuck more than anyone, largely because
they push the envelope).

Be very careful beach driving - pay heed to tides and high water marks or
you might have a very expensive metallic reef on your hands.

Read up a little (a lot) on Australian 4WD - I can recommend Ron & Viv
Moon's works, for example.

And check to see if my mate Nigel's site is still up:
http://www.nigelandcarol.com - he's as good as it comes on the bush (and a
pom at that!) and very helpful with even the most insipid questions (I speak
from experience).
oups.com...

Old February 15th, 2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

artur wrote:
[...]

Hi
You would be better off taking a bus tour.You don't have to have a 4wd
to drive to cairns and it costs heaps in petrol. You can hire a 4wd
from Hervey Bay oppposite Fraser Island and it comes with all your
camping gear.They hold 11 people and you can jump in with a group and it
will cost about $180p.pAUD for three days.Cars and 4wd are available
everywhere and flights are also cheaper around 60AUD to fly Sydney to
brisbane then hire a car form about 50 AUD. Unsealed roads are
everywhere and anywhere(Fraser an example). Unrecognized unsealed roads
are in smaller towns and can be property driveways.
Not sure what you mean by Northern savannah. This isn't the USA. We
don't have savannah's. Great Barrier reef trips or Outback adventures
are available.It takes 10 hours to drive just from Sydney to Brisbane.
Also Britz and Hertz are expensive look in phone books and see smalletr
cheaper hire companies Hertz about 60AUD+ for a car pick up 10-15
dollars cheaper through smaller companies.
Hope you have a great time.
Nicki
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

The legal term is 'Gazetted Roads'*, which also covers some beaches, and
roads which are not maintained, including some Forestry Tracks. As you've
noted - "recognized unsealed roads" - has no precise meaning in law -
recognised by whom? Britz or the appropriate Government Authority? - so an
extensive insurance claim, or remote vehicle recovery, could entangle you
and them in prolonged, expensive litigation. If they can't/won't clarify
their requirement in writing, I'd give them a miss!

*Non-gazetted Roads are Roads/Tracks not recognised by the Local, State or
Federal Government Authority controlling that area.

oups.com...

Old February 15th, 2006, 04:49 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"artur" wrote in message
oups.com...
anyone knows what exatcly Britz means by "recognized unsealed roads"?
they only allow their 4WD cars to travel on 'recognized unsealed roads'
but they refuse to give a precise description/definition of that :-(
kind of strange... is it an obvious description of something? not to me
anyhow...

Usually its a road maintained by the local council with an as of right
access
to it if the vehcile is road registered. Some council roads require permits
and generally the hire companies deny liabilty on those. Off road use - ie
driving through bush, driving on someone else's property (remember some
private properties have loooong access roads), driving on a beach is
generally considered to be off limits as well.

Access roads into National Parks is considered a "road", but be wary of
heading off into the bush, if in any doubt walk a section of road first.

(I'm planning to drive Sydney-Cairns and want to see some outback qld
as well as northern savannah...)

also - I'm planning to rent a 4WD just for the freedom of visiting
anything that's worth visiting, but I'm not too much into
desert/bush/beach off-road driving; for what I know "road" is a broader
term in Australia than in Europe ) I want a scent of wild australia,
but I don't plan to go off-road just for the fun of that (except for
some romantic beaches and Frazer Island perhaps).
Having said that - do you think it makes any sense for me to go to a
4WD driving course?

It always makes sense to have some training if you are unfamiliar with
a type of vehicle. Driving a 4x4 is a different technique, it has a higher
centre of gravity and handles differently to a sedan car.

or as long as I stay on road (be it sealed or unsealed) my regular
driving experience and common sense should be enough?

Its surprising how often people with common sense get themselves
into serious trouble when driving in remote areas of Australia. Once
you are inland from the populated coastal strip roads can be a bit
lonely, maybe a few vehicles a day on the lesser travelled dirt roads.
On sealed bitumen roads there would be sufficient vehicles that if
you have problems then soemone will be along fairly soon.

Weather is the main problem for travellers, wet weather means travel
is very limited on dirt roads and some councils even close roads to
save them from serious vehicle damage. The distance from Sydney
to Cairns is such that you can easily travel from dry weather to wet
monsoon weather in a couple of days.

artur

Old February 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Nicole,
thanks a lot for your reply.
Buses however are not my favourites )
Maybe I put this too short - I want to take 3 weeks to go from Sydney
to Cairns, see some outback, some national parks, a bit of golden coast
and spend a couple of days diving @ great reef, but I'd much rather
escape from other toursist and crowds of people in general then
follow/join them. So I'll be much more into less popular NPs or dive
spots, and less crowded roads etc.

And as for cheaper/smaller rental companies - can you recommend anyone
in particular?
My only requirements are that they rent 4WD cars for two (like
Bushcamper), offer limited liability and allow renting car in Sydney,
and checking it back in in Cairns.
4WD driving course availability would be appreciated, too. Oh, and of
course they must communicate over the net.
I've truly tried to find something cheaper than Britz, but frankly -
couldn't find it

Old February 15th, 2006, 11:20 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Roger,
I plan to start in Sydney on Apr. 19th and come to Cairns on May 7th.
Any weather problems I should be prepared for?

Oh, and by the way - I arrive at Sydney on Apr. 17th - Easter Monday.
Do you think the stores, museums 'and all' be closed that day?

Old February 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

artur wrote:
[deleted]
And as for cheaper/smaller rental companies - can you recommend anyone
in particular?
My only requirements are that they rent 4WD cars for two (like
Bushcamper), offer limited liability and allow renting car in Sydney,
and checking it back in in Cairns.
4WD driving course availability would be appreciated, too. Oh, and of
course they must communicate over the net.
I've truly tried to find something cheaper than Britz, but frankly -
couldn't find it

Note that a Bushcamper is not a "car", but, as the name implies, a
camper (in Oz mostly called a campervan). When you say "4WD car", people
will assume you mean a passenger car, not a campervan.

"cheaper than Britz"? *Anything* is cheaper than Britz! :-(

Have a look at Apollo and KEA.

Also have a look at the below mentioned agencies.

For the future, not for Sydney/Cairns, Camperworld and Trailmaster.

I can recommend Apollo and Camperworld. Camperworld is cheaper, but
only rents out of Perth (main depot) and probably Darwin and Adelaide
(we rented out of these three cities).

I hope this helps.

Apollo: http://www.apollocamper.com.au

Camperworld: http://www.australiancampervans.com

KEA: http://www.keacampers.com/australia/default.asp

Trailmaster: http://www.trailmaster.com.au

Agencies:

Australian Campervans: http://www.australiancampervans.com

Auto Rentals Australia Wide: http://www.autorentals.com.au/index.cfm

Campervan Rentals: http://www.campervan-rentals.com

Getabout Oz: http://www.getaboutoz.com

Motorhomes Worldwide:
http://www.motorhomesworldwide.com/motorhome/australia.shtml
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"artur" wrote in message
oups.com...
Roger,
I plan to start in Sydney on Apr. 19th and come to Cairns on May 7th.
Any weather problems I should be prepared for?

Nothing unusual, just remember that you will be travelling from
a temperate climate into the tropics. Wear a hat, drink lots of water
and put on sunscreen otherwise you'll fry.

You will be doing a lot of travelling in 3 weeks. Its just
under 2500kms on the coast highway, let alone any side trips. The roads
are nowhere near as fast as in Europe, dual lane freeways are the exception
on that trip and plenty of sections are still just one lane in each
direction
with 100kph speed limit.

The coast from Newcastle upto the tip of Fraser Island is pretty - sandy,
good surf, very clean, some great diving sites. North of Fraser puts you
inside the Barrier Reef and the beaches are pretty but often mud and sand.

The Whitsunday Islands are the cream of the coastal islands - clean, weather
will be great that time of year, diving excellent.

Oh, and by the way - I arrive at Sydney on Apr. 17th - Easter Monday.
Do you think the stores, museums 'and all' be closed that day?

I'd say that a lot of places will be closed, but the large supermarkets and
the
beach suburbs shopping centres will be open. Plenty of 24 hour shopping in
Sydney, just depends on what you need - a doctor is probably the hardest
thing to find on an Easter Monday.

Old February 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Frank,
sorry for that car-camper misunderstanding, but to be quite honest, I'd
much rather take toyota landcruiser than a buchcamper if only it was
cheaper. But to my big surprise it's not
So, the campervan will most probably be my ride

but as for the other rental companies - this sounds strange to me, as I
did check on apollo and kea and they were not cheaper than britz.
hmm... from what I see a Toyota Landcruiser @ KEA costs 260 aud/day and
their cheapest 'cheapa' (not a 4WD) 175 aud/day; when a bushcamper @
britz costs me 200 aud/day.
Anyhow, thanks for all the links - I will certainly check all their
prices again
Thanks a lot.
artur