Easier to Stay Connected on Cruise!

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Easier to Stay Connected on Cruise!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Silversea and thought it would be
of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

SILVERSEA MAKES IT EASIER TO STAY CONNECTED
AT SEA WITH NEW CELLULAR PHONE SERVICE

Most Advanced Wireless Voice and Data Service Now
Available aboard Silver Shadow and Silver Whisper

(Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- May 2, 2006) Silversea Cruises has reached
another milestone in its continuing enhancement of onboard
communications services with the installation of a new, cutting-edge
technology that enables guests to use their own cellular phones and
wireless PDAs while at sea, just as they do on land. The new service
is now available onboard Silver Shadow and Silver Whisper, and will be
expanded to the line's other two ships, Silver Cloud and Silver Wind,
in the coming months.

The ultra-luxury cruise company has partnered with SeaMobile, a
leading global provider of advanced at-sea wireless voice and data
communications services, to offer guests the convenience of using
their personal cell phones during a cruise -- even as their ship may
be sailing many miles away from shore. The new technology works for
both GSM and CDMA mobile phones as well as PDA devices such as
BlackBerries. GSM is the digital standard in Europe and other parts
of the globe, while CDMA is the wireless standard for North America
and the Far East.

"Last year we outfitted our ships with Wi-Fi hot spots so guests could
use their own laptops, and now we're taking things a step further and
giving them the convenience of being able to use their personal cell
phones and PDAs while at sea as well," said Rick Kneale, Silversea's
vice president of information technology and chief information
officer. "In today's world, we know how important it is to stay
connected with family, friends and business associates while on
vacation, and so we're doing everything we can to facilitate that."

Added Kneale, "Although we're pleased to offer this enhanced service,
we realize cell phone use can be disturbing to others, so quiet zones
(areas without reception) such as the restaurants, spa, library and
other public lounges, have been created thereby ensuring the comfort
of all our guests. We will continue to encourage guests to use their
cell phones primarily in their suites."

Rates for the at-sea cellular service will vary, depending on the
guest's wireless provider. Generally, the rates can range from $1.99
to $3.99 per minute, based on different roaming zones across the
world. Charges appear as roaming calls on the guest's regular
wireless bill from their home carrier, which may include additional
taxes and fees charged by various carriers.

When the ship is in port, guests' cell phones will be switched to the
carrier for that geographic area and roaming rates for the country
they are visiting will apply. As with all cell carriers, guests' cell
phones that work while the ship is at sea may not work in some ports.

Silversea Cruises is recognized as an innovator in the luxury segment,
offering guests large-ship amenities aboard four intimate vessels,
Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, and Silver Whisper, all
designed to offer an atmosphere of conviviality and casual elegance.
For the ninth year, Silversea was named "Number One" small-ship line
in the 2005 "Readers' Choice" survey conducted by Condé Nast Traveler
magazine. For the sixth time, Silversea was selected "World's Best"
small-ship line in the 2004 Travel + Leisure readers' poll.

For more information on Silversea Cruises, please contact a travel
agent.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Yup:

Thanks for the update, Ray!

Now, in addition to having to find one of the few spaces on Silversea where
passengers aren't allowed to puff away on cigars or cigarettes, we also need
to locate an area where someone isn't screaming into a cellphone.

Great!

Old May 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

You could mention Siversea in the title so 95% of us can pass the post
without wasting our time!

Old May 7th, 2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from

What a coincidence! I received PLENTY such press releases.

But I don't use them as sleazy come-on as my AD and SPAM for my
DOGHOUSE TRAVEL.

BOYCOTT CRETINS WHO RUDELY SPAM USENET NEWSGROUPS.

Ray GolenAd NOT.