Using O2 (UK mobile) phone in France to phone Uk

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Luton Lad

Default Using O2 (UK mobile) phone in France to phone Uk

According to O2's website, all I need to do is dial the same UK number
from France as I'd dial within the UK, and I'll be connected no problem
(apart from cost!!!).
But in March, this just didn't work. Tried many combinations but O2
pay-as-you go invariably produced a no-no response. Returning to France
this week, so:
Have things recently changed? Anybody successfully just dialled UK
number and got through on O2? Or is there a hidden trick?
TIA,
LL

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:48 PM
David Horne

Luton Lad wrote:

Have things recently changed? Anybody successfully just dialled UK
number and got through on O2? Or is there a hidden trick?

Did you try the number in international format? (i.e. +44 plus rest of
UK number, leaving out initial 0 in area code)

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Deep Freud Moors

Luton Lad wrote in message
According to O2's website, all I need to do is dial the same UK number
from France as I'd dial within the UK, and I'll be connected no problem
(apart from cost!!!).
But in March, this just didn't work. Tried many combinations but O2
pay-as-you go invariably produced a no-no response. Returning to France
this week, so:
Have things recently changed? Anybody successfully just dialled UK
number and got through on O2? Or is there a hidden trick?

I had an O2 phone about a year ago that the salesman assured me would work
in most of Europe, and it didn't. I was never able to successfully make a
call to the UK or anywhere. Whether they changed that I don't know, but me
thinks I got ripped off there. (
---
DFM

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote in message

I had an O2 phone about a year ago that the salesman assured me would work
in most of Europe, and it didn't. I was never able to successfully make a
call to the UK or anywhere. Whether they changed that I don't know, but me
thinks I got ripped off there. (

My parents are currently on holiday in Spain and have managed to sucessfully
call me a few times.

Note that on pay as you go international roaming is enabled by default,
however on the may monthly plans you have to contact them to enable roaming.

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On 15/9/03 2:48 pm, in article
1g1byao.1nkvxpajpxjlkN%i_will_almost_never_read_th , "David
Horne" wrote:

Luton Lad wrote:

Have things recently changed? Anybody successfully just dialled UK
number and got through on O2? Or is there a hidden trick?

Did you try the number in international format? (i.e. +44 plus rest of
UK number, leaving out initial 0 in area code)

You definitely need to do that - and I have used O2 to phone from France
many times - both contract (you need to enable roaming) and PAYG.

J.

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Mxsmanic

Luton Lad writes:

According to O2's website, all I need to do is dial the same UK number
from France as I'd dial within the UK, and I'll be connected no problem
(apart from cost!!!).
But in March, this just didn't work. Tried many combinations but O2
pay-as-you go invariably produced a no-no response. Returning to France
this week, so:
Have things recently changed? Anybody successfully just dialled UK
number and got through on O2? Or is there a hidden trick?

With GSM telephones, dial '+' and the complete number (including country
code) to reach foreign numbers. This works within the country, too, and
is intended to be country-independent. I do this all the time, and it
always works.

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:55 PM
David Horne

Mxsmanic wrote:

With GSM telephones, dial '+' and the complete number (including country
code) to reach foreign numbers.

Not quite wrt "complete number." With UK numbers- you have to remove the
0 from the area code, so for example, a Manchester (0161) number would
be dialled +44161 etc. (44 being the country code for UK.) Dropping the
0 from the area code applies to quite a few countries.

David

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Alec

"Luton Lad" wrote in message
According to O2's website, all I need to do is dial the same UK number
from France as I'd dial within the UK, and I'll be connected no problem
(apart from cost!!!).
But in March, this just didn't work. Tried many combinations but O2
pay-as-you go invariably produced a no-no response. Returning to France
this week, so:
Have things recently changed? Anybody successfully just dialled UK
number and got through on O2? Or is there a hidden trick?
TIA,
LL

You need to have a minimum amount of credit (can't remember how much) before
your calls made abroad are connected.

Alec

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:18 AM
Luton Lad

Thanks, folks.
I'll let you know when I get back if I can't use the ***** thing!

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Luton Lad

Just double-checked the O2 site again. Quote:

2. Make sure your international calling bar has been lifted by calling 4445.

Making a Call

To call home to the UK just dial the full UK number. E.g. 01234 567890. If you're calling another country don't forget to add the country dialling code. The UK code is +44.

In the Direct Dial countries you can also access your Voicemail 901 service, contact O2 Member Service even top-up your mobile by dialling your usual short code numbers:

* Voicemail - dial 901
* Member Service - dial 4445
* Top up - dial 4444

Hope this may help somebody.