Pre-empting the scare mongerers...

Old July 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Pre-empting the scare mongerers...

There is an e-mail going around purporting to show the decapitated and
dismembered body of a woman found in Hillbrow, Johannesburg. The
e-mail claims that the event is typical of the violence one can expect
when visiting South Africa.

The photographs are real, but the description is false. The incident
took place in Jamaica a few years back, and HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO
DO WITH SOUTH AFRICA.

I detest these types of sordid, scare mongering bits of
mis-information that only serve to increase negativity for no reason.
They also waste precious bandwidth.

What bothers me even more, is the mentality of the idiots who
perpetuate or originate the garbage. What DO they hope to achieve?

While I am in no doubt that similar incidents do happen in South
Africa, I can see no reason why someone would need to fake the story.

I wouldn't be surprised if our friend, Neil Watson / Juan Uys / Skye
the rent boy, (Crimexposouthafrica.com) wasn't behind this little
piece of digusting drivel.
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
me[_2_]

On 5 Jul, 18:02, Marc Lurie wrote:
[...]

is this a more balanced opinion ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...l-news-128.xml

Old July 30th, 2007, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Sadly, yes. The Telegraph article is a fact-based article, written
without an apparent agenda. As far as I can see, there's no hysterical
knee-jerk journalism in it, and it doesn't contain mistruths, lies, or
fabrications.

Regards,
Marc

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

On Jul 5, 12:02 pm, Marc Lurie
wrote:
There is an e-mail going around purporting to show the decapitated and
dismembered body of a woman found in Hillbrow, Johannesburg. The
e-mail claims that the event is typical of the violence one can expect
when visiting South Africa.

The fact that the rates of violence are high in some parts of a city
or country doesn't indicate at all that crime would be a risk to
travelers in that country.

Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami and Paris have some very dangerous areas,
but no one talks about refusing to visit those cities for fear of
crime, let alone not visit the US or France. The bad areas are very
far from anything 99% of tourists would ever encounter.

A responsible traveler to South Africa who visits Cape Town, the
Garden Route, and Kruger is probably at a roughly similar risk of
crime overall as they would be in a typical American urban area, not
significantly more or less.

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

You're correct of course, and your comments are those of a person who
looks at the situation with a rational eye, and not with hysteria and
sensationalism.

I don't entirely agree with you though. My feeling is that a tourist
in South Africa is definitely more at risk than a tourist in most
other coutries, but as you say, not significantly so. However, while
the chances of being affected by crime might be similarly slight, the
chances of that crime being disproportionaltely violent is FAR higher
in South Africa than in, say, the USA or Europe. Perseonally, however,
I don't believe that crime in SA should deter tourists from visiting,
they must just be aware of the issue, and the chances are that they
will never be affected.

The point however, of the OP, was that the event portrayed as having
happened in Johannesburg actually happened in Jamaica. This begs the
question of WHY someone might attribute the crime to South Africa and
fabricate the story. What motives do they have in the first place etc.

Unfortunately, the internet is a convenient hiding place for all
manner of kooks and nutcases who use the anonymity of the internet to
spread mistruth, lies, and misdirection for their own ends.

Cheers,
Marc

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:21:36 -0700, wrote:

The fact that the rates of violence are high in some parts of a city
or country doesn't indicate at all that crime would be a risk to
travelers in that country.

SNIP

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

On Jul 31, 3:38 am, Marc Lurie
wrote:
I don't entirely agree with you though. My feeling is that a tourist
in South Africa is definitely more at risk than a tourist in most
other coutries, but as you say, not significantly so. However, while
the chances of being affected by crime might be similarly slight, the
chances of that crime being disproportionaltely violent is FAR higher
in South Africa than in, say, the USA or Europe. Perseonally, however,
I don't believe that crime in SA should deter tourists from visiting,
they must just be aware of the issue, and the chances are that they
will never be affected.

Visitors to Brazil or Mexico, for example, definitely need to be aware
of the risks of crime in those countries. In the larger cities
especially, you have to know which areas are unsafe by day or night,
and what things to watch out for - you don't wander around aimlessly
in strange areas at night, or carry valuable items on your person for
no reason, and you might even divide your money between pockets in
case you are robbed. But it's not like any significant percentage of
visitors become victims, out of the millions who visit those countries
every year, and it certainly shouldn't put anyone off from visiting
those countries or make them too scared to venture outside of a few
resort areas. The situation for visitors to South Africa is similar.

I see your point about how the crimes that do occur against tourists
in South Africa are disproportionately violent crimes. In most
European cities, the worst thing that happens to tourists on a regular
basis is pickpocketing or bag snatching.

The point however, of the OP, was that the event portrayed as having
happened in Johannesburg actually happened in Jamaica. This begs the
question of WHY someone might attribute the crime to South Africa and
fabricate the story. What motives do they have in the first place etc.

While crime is obviously a very serious issue in South Africa, by
making the situation sound much worse than it actually is, are they
trying to discredit the current government?

Old August 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

I don't entirely agree with you though. My feeling is that a tourist
in South Africa is definitely more at risk than a tourist in most
other coutries, but as you say, not significantly so.

Hi Marc,

Let's go to the matter of this distinction, tourist. Having traveled
widely, I can well anticipate some stereotypes (especially ugly
Americans) that lend weight to this heightened risk. Obvious displays
of consumer wealth are a crime magnet anywhere when one is out of
their element. What can a traveler do for camouflage?

I have scanned the online newspapers for crowd scenes to judge what is
being worn (not many Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirts that typify US
vacationers there). What is surprising is that I don't really see any
garb that suggests any national identity. That is, the cut of a suit
can be easily identified as being British or Italian - in the extreme
- but when we submerge into the ordinary street clothes, then I don't
see anything particularly South African. Of course, my examples are
sparse and online news is hardly concerned with those kinds of photo
shots (and "fashion" is as alien from the mainstream in any country as
to be useless as a guide).

So, at the risk of sounding like a come-on, what are you wearing
now? :-)

Do jeans predominate? Would "Dockers" brand one as north American?
Are sandals bohemian or strictly bush? Does a Panama straw hat mark
you Latino? Are jackets worn, or just shirts? Button-down collars?
No collars? How about cardigan sweaters (not that I have any)? Are
tourists the only people who carry cameras? (That would be
unfortunate.) Do you wear ball caps? If so, are they worn
backwards? (Hard to say which way is backwards anymore.) Do certain
colors predominate? How about sunglasses? I won't ask about a fanny-
pack....

Regards,
Richard

Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

On Aug 31, 12:52 am, Marc Lurie
wrote:
If you walked into a Cabela's store and bought a whole range of safari
clothing, you'll stick out here like a sore thumb. ;-)

Hi Marc,

Well, in fact I have bought boots from them in the past. As for their
product line I can appreciate your point (not my style at all). Who
in South Africa (a store) represents the place one would shop for
casual clothes worn around the house and out to market?

That's a great idea to look at crowd photos. I'll have a look around
and see if I can find any. I'll post links on this thread.

Thanks, I will look forward to anything you might find.

Carrying things to the extreme (or rather, the mundane), if we were
wearing khaki, would that mark us as being from the veld? Hicks or
easy marks, so to speak, when in Durban?

Regards,
Richard