Recommendations - perfect climate?

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Recommendations - perfect climate?

The only problem is that you have not described what you want. One
person's perfect climate may well be another's most boring climate.

In general, if you want to avoid earthquakes and volcanic activity avoid
coastal and mountain areas. That should get you down to something
boring. If you mean only within europe I suspect somewhere in the
northern Mediterranean area where there are no coast and no mountains.

Perhaps well in from the coast in south central Spain but not far enough
in to get mountains.

If you mean in the world then perhaps somewhere in central asia well
away from mountains. Perhaps Mongolia although you may find that chilly.

strawberry icecream wrote:
I was wondering where in the world posters would recommend for the perfect
climate?

This would also include factors such as having little danger of hurricanes,
volcanic activity, earthquakes, etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Tony Day" wrote in message

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
The only problem is that you have not described what you want. One
person's perfect climate may well be another's most boring climate.

Very true.

In general, if you want to avoid earthquakes and volcanic activity avoid
coastal and mountain areas. That should get you down to something
boring. If you mean only within europe I suspect somewhere in the
northern Mediterranean area where there are no coast and no mountains.

Er. Britain has coat all round it and some (small mountains). No volcanic
activity for several squillion years and only about two .000001 earth
tremors in the fifty plus years I've been about. The same is true of

almost
every European country.

Apart from Italy, Greece , Yugoslavia etc, most of southern
Europe along the boundary of the European and African
tectonic plates is classed as a seismic hazard zone.

And there is no coast on the north mediterranean? What is th bit where the
sea stops and the land begins called then?

I suspect he meant somewhere away from the coast.

I dunno what you call the north meditarranean, but by any definition it

has
plenty of mountains. By some definitions two of them are volcanic. One
actively.

Rather more than that, Etna, Stromboli and Vesuvius are
all considered active volcanoes

Perhaps well in from the coast in south central Spain but not far enough
in to get mountains.

Crap. No volcanoes in Spain. Mountains ALL near coast! (Sierra Nevada in
south, Pyrenees in north)

You mean apart from the ones that arent, such as the Iberian Mountains,
and Sierra Morena !

Keith

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:55 PM
B Vaughan

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:57:57 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

Apart from Italy, Greece , Yugoslavia etc, most of southern
Europe along the boundary of the European and African
tectonic plates is classed as a seismic hazard zone.

Your sentence is a bit ambiguous. In any case, to clarify, a good deal
of Italy is considered to have earthquake risk.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Frank F. Matthews

There was a reference to earthquakes. They may be uncommon but they do
occur. Britain has occasionally been hit by hurricanes. Again very
uncommon but it can happen. I suppose that the east side might be safe
for disasters.

Tony Day wrote:

[...]

You learnt European geography in the US? Or not at all?

strawberry icecream wrote:

I was wondering where in the world posters would recommend for the

perfect

climate?

This would also include factors such as having little danger of

hurricanes,

volcanic activity, earthquakes, etc.

Any suggestions?

Tony (answering a troll who answered a troll!)

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
There was a reference to earthquakes. They may be uncommon but they do
occur. Britain has occasionally been hit by hurricanes. Again very
uncommon but it can happen. I suppose that the east side might be safe
for disasters.

A bad assumption, Atlantic hurricanes create a massive
storm surge in the north sea which due to the way
in narrows down north to south can produce
extensive flooding on the east coast if it coincides
with spring or autumn tides.

The last such event killed hundreds of people in the
winter of 1953.

Keith

Old May 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM
nightjar

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
There was a reference to earthquakes. They may be uncommon but they do
occur.

There are 200-300 each year in Britain, although most could be mistaken for
a passing lorry. Earthquakes of magnitude 4-4.9 occur about every two years
and magnitude 5 or above, around once every eight years. In June 1931, the
largest recorded British earthquake (one in 1580 may have been larger),
magnitude 6.1 and centred on Dogger Bank, was felt across most of Britain,
as well a fair bit of Europe.

Britain has occasionally been hit by hurricanes.

Technically, a hurricane is a tropical rotating storm and they don't get as
far as Britain. Hurricane force winds in Britain are classed as severe
storms, although the media prefer to call them hurricanes. Records for the
past 70 years show seven windstorms that caused significant structural
damage across the UK, with others causing major damage in localised areas..

...I suppose that the east side might be safe
for disasters.

In 1953, floods devastated the East Coast and Dutch land reclaimation has
removed some of the sea areas that a similar tidal surge might have run off
into.

Colin Bignell

Old May 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The Reids

Following up to Frank F. Matthews

In general, if you want to avoid earthquakes and volcanic activity avoid
coastal and mountain areas.

Scotland has coast, mountains and no earthquakes or volcanos. But
it does have midges. Give me a volcano over a "clegg" any day.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The Reids

Following up to Tony Day

Perhaps well in from the coast in south central Spain but not far enough
in to get mountains.

Crap. No volcanoes in Spain. Mountains ALL near coast! (Sierra Nevada in
south, Pyrenees in north)

except Teide :-) (There are mountains away from coast as well
(Gredos for instance)).
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The Reids

Following up to Frank F. Matthews

Britain has occasionally been hit by hurricanes. Again very
uncommon but it can happen. I suppose that the east side might be safe
for disasters.

In don't think "hurricanes", we had what was called a hurricane a
few years back but I don't think it reached the official wind
speed. I don't think the UK has anything you could call natural
disasters except some flooding from time to time. I don't think
the east is any safer or less safe than the west, most of our
weather comes from the west but the really bad weather always
comes from the east. Not that its bad in world terms.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The Reids

Following up to Wolfgang Schwanke

Rather, avoid tectonic plate boundaries. Sometimes they coincide with
coasts or mountain chains, but not always. And not all coasts and mountains
are plate boundaries.

indeed not, as far as Europe is concerned it runs down through
Iceland under the sea down to the Canaries and then there is the
Africa/Europe collision zone through the Med. In the US of course
the boundary runs down the west coast.