best way to minimize jetlag from west coast to east coast

Old February 8th, 2012, 06:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
techman41973

Default best way to minimize jetlag from west coast to east coast

I fly often between the west coast and east coast. Returning home to
California I have no Jetlag symptoms - I just wake up earlier in the
morning each day after I get home.
But when traveling in the other direction (from California to New
York), I suffer major jetlag.
Please share your tips (that work) on minimizing jetlag (crossing 3
time zones from West to East coast).
Thanks
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_8_]

"techman41973" wrote in message
I fly often between the west coast and east coast. Returning home to
California I have no Jetlag symptoms - I just wake up earlier in the
morning each day after I get home.
But when traveling in the other direction (from California to New
York), I suffer major jetlag.
Please share your tips (that work) on minimizing jetlag (crossing 3
time zones from West to East coast).
Thanks

It is all in the mind. California to New York is a relatively short journey.

--
JohnT

Old February 8th, 2012, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"techman41973" wrote in message
I fly often between the west coast and east coast. Returning home to
California I have no Jetlag symptoms - I just wake up earlier in the
morning each day after I get home.
But when traveling in the other direction (from California to New
York), I suffer major jetlag.
Please share your tips (that work) on minimizing jetlag (crossing 3
time zones from West to East coast).
Thanks

In 50 years of flying including one RTW trip eastabout and one westabout and
a longest non-stop flight of 13 hours I'm not sure there is a single answer.
Eat light foods, keep well hydrated, wear comfortable loose fitting clothes,
no alcohol and preferably no tea or coffee. If you can travel in a
business class that offers a lie-flat seat then do so. Adjust your eating
routine to the new time zone before departure. On an eastbound red-eye if
they offer food after take off, decline, go straight to sleep and take
breakfast when offered. This usually means making slight changes to your
eating routine during the day of departure to have a meal about 10 hours
before when you expect breakfast. Don't overschedule on the day of
arrival, in fact if you can fly a day early, do it.

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
hls

"JohnT" wrote in message

"techman41973" wrote in message
I fly often between the west coast and east coast. Returning home to
California I have no Jetlag symptoms - I just wake up earlier in the
morning each day after I get home.
But when traveling in the other direction (from California to New
York), I suffer major jetlag.
Please share your tips (that work) on minimizing jetlag (crossing 3
time zones from West to East coast).
Thanks

It is all in the mind. California to New York is a relatively short
journey.

--
JohnT

I tend to agree with John T. A 3 hour crossing does not slow me down much.

A 20 hour crossing DOES.

The best way to handle it, I have found, is to stay up and awake in your
destination location until the hour that you normally go to sleep. Then go
to bed and SLEEP. Use OTC medication if you need to.

Old February 9th, 2012, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

Please share your tips (that work) on minimizing jetlag (crossing 3
time zones from West to East coast).

Really, a three hour time change isn't that much. It'd probably help to
start going to bed and getting up early a few days before you go, and
turn off the movies and the laptop and the ipod and everything else and
take a nap on the plane.

R's,
John

Old February 9th, 2012, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Carol Eskra

As a world traveler I do not have a problem flying from coast to coast.
Did suffer jet lag from San Diego to Hong Kong! What an adventure! Lol