Oceania New Marketing & Pricing Policy!

Old November 19th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Oceania New Marketing & Pricing Policy!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Oceania Cruises yesterday. I asked
permission to make it public since I thought it was mainly aimed at
the travel trade. I was given permission to post and think it is most
interesting. I have heard cruise company executives for years say
that this is the type of marketing and pricing policy that they would
like to see adhered to by the industry. Up to now only one tour
company (Tauck) has ever made a serious effort in this regard. If you
have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my web
site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

OCEANIA CRUISES ISSUES NEW MARKETING AND PRICING POLICY

Miami, FL, November 18, 2003
Oceania Cruises announced today its decision to publicly issue a
comprehensive policy, effective January 1, 2004, which provides that
no travel agent or agency will be allowed to advertise or promote
Oceania Cruises’ sailings, on the web, in print or through any other
means, at a price or at discounts which are less than prices that are
generally available to all Travel Agents from Oceania Cruises’
reservations center.

“We believe that all agents and agencies should have the ability to
compete for our business on a level playing field. The distinction
between travel agencies, from a consumer perspective, should be based
on the travel agents’ ability to provide exceptional service to their
clients and promote the value of the Oceania Cruises brand,” said
Frank Del Rio, President and CEO. “We are an upper-premium cruise
line which prides itself on providing the highest level of service,
and we must take this step to protect and preserve the integrity of
our brand. It is our goal to strengthen our relationship with the
travel agency community at large and to provide them with all the
tools they need to remain competitive while at the same time, provide
the highest level of agent support.

“We are very concerned over the recent increase in the advertising of
Oceania Cruises sailings at reduced rates which only serves to erode
the reputation of our business, causes confusion in the marketplace
and reduces agents’ net commissions,” says Jeff Drew, CTC, Senior Vice
President of Sales. “This new policy will reward all travel
professionals who strive to provide outstanding service and properly
promote the excellent value proposition that the Oceania Cruises brand
represents.”

Sales, Marketing and Promotion Policies

It is Oceania Cruises’ goal to strengthen our relationship with the
travel agency community at large and to provide the necessary sales
and marketing support which allow all travel agents to remain
competitive and provide the highest possible level of service to our
guests. The following guidelines apply to all travel agents, agencies
and consortium partners that actively promote Oceania Cruises, Inc.

No travel agent or agency will be allowed to advertise or publicly
promote Oceania Cruises’ products, on the web or in print, or through
any other means, at a price or at discounts which are less than the
published price of the Oceania Cruises product at that time.

Published price is defined as that which exists on the Oceania
Cruises, Inc. website, other electronic sources, and brochures, any
marketing collateral produced in-house by Oceania Cruises that is
direct mailed to consumers or on behalf of other travel agents, or
trade or consumer advertising that is in a publication available in
the general marketplace and which is generally available to all Travel
Agents from Oceania Cruises’ reservations center.

All promotional materials; brochures, shells, print advertisements,
e-mails or any other print or electronic vehicle used to promote
Oceania Cruises, must be approved by Oceania Cruises’ Marketing or
Sales department before finalization, printing/publishing and
distribution. Oceania Cruises, Inc. reserves the right to support any
pricing not duly authorized and approved.

Oceania Cruises reserves the right to adjust bookings that result
because of or are attributed to unauthorized promotions to base
commission structures – such structures defined by Oceania Cruises as
10% on cruise fare only, 5% on air, land, or other commissionable
charges, and 10% on insurance.

No agent or seller of travel for Oceania Cruises, Inc. may state any
business or other relationship with Oceania Cruises, Inc. other than
as defined in a written agreement entered into directly with Oceania
Cruises, Inc., or as set forth in these Brand Management Guidelines,
as they may be amended from time to time.

Oceania Cruises reserves the right to terminate any agency
relationship, including revocation of the right to sell Oceania
Cruises, for failure to observe these Brand Management Guidelines or
for breach of any existing agreement.

Oceania Cruises features two intimate and luxurious 684-passenger
ships, the 5-star REGATTA and INSIGNIA, debuting in 2004. Oceania
Cruises is setting a new, worldwide standard for upper premium
cruising with the finest cuisine at sea, exceptional personalized
service, grand style, and luxurious accommodations coupled with
extraordinary value.

Old November 19th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Emanuel H.

Thank for your news Ray, and Continue with this,
There are no problem for normal people to view and read these information
about cruise Industry, is the best for all traveller !

bye bye

Manu

Old November 19th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Adolfo2

OK. Strike Oceania from my list of possible cruise lines for a future
sailing.

Shall we also start a pool as to when this "List Price ONLY" policy
gets cancelled?? My guess is April 1, 2004 (no connection with April
Fools day) after the first quarter is a BUST!!!

Adolfo2
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Queen of Cruising

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 06:55:09 -0800, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

“We believe that all agents and agencies should have the ability to
compete for our business on a level playing field.

Translation: Our TA's have bitched and moaned that we at Oceania will
start taking reservations from www.cruisequick.com and since we have a
bunny-toothed wimp named Rubacky in our employ, we followed his advice
and caved in.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:15 PM
News Reader

Is this for the US market? Why should an agent operates out of his
apartment charge the same as someone with an office in a mall?
Doesn't sound American to me.

Old November 19th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Queen of Cruising

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:09:37 GMT, jcoulter
wrote:

Did I miss something? I read no advetising of lower prices, the under the
table commission kick backs will occur as will on board credits and other
incentives to book.

Why do they have to be "under the table"? Unreported income? Shame?
Unethical?

No good reason exists unless these payments stink in and of
themselves.
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Queen of Cruising

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:15:50 -0800, News Reader
wrote:

Why should an agent operates out of his
apartment charge the same as someone with an office in a mall?

Overhead is a choice. I don't care where an agent works out of.

Doesn't sound American to me.

Sounds practical to me.
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Cruzinsure

OK. Strike Oceania from my list of possible cruise lines for a future
sailing.

Then you had better cross off some others also. For example, if you're big
enough you can be a "Key Account" with RCI/Celebrity. This gives you access to
rates not generally available to most agencies. Part of he deal is that these
rates can't be advertised. The same also applied to CCL's old "GG" rates
(Guaranteed Group Rates). The agency could offer group rates to individual
bookings but could not advertise them.

I applaud Oceania for doing this. It's important that the smallest agencies be
able to compete with the mega-agencies on more than price. If Mom 'N Pop Travel
runs an ad in the Sunday paper at least they'll know that Mega Travel won't
have an ad right next to theirs showing the same sailing at $100 less per
person. They will have a fair chance of getting a phone call off the ad and the
opportunity to show their expertise or customer service skills to make the
sale. If the client then calls Mega Agency and gets sold on a lower price well
that's business. But at least the little guy has a shot.