US -> Germany tourism down by 20%

Old January 20th, 2004, 08:52 AM
mrraveltay

Default US -> Germany tourism down by 20%

nobody wrote:
BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq, the tourism
industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American tourists.

Have there been significant cuts in air services between USA and Germany since
last year ?

yes

Old January 20th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Ulf Kutzner

nobody schrieb:

BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq, the tourism
industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American tourists.

The Euro got quite expensive for U.S. tourists.

Regards & X-post, ULF
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Me

In article , nobody
wrote:

BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq, the tourism
industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American tourists.

Have there been significant cuts in air services between USA and Germany since
last year ?

I don't know, but one reason for the drop in travel from the states to
Germany (and other European destinations) might be the lousy exchange
rate between the Unted States dollar and the euro.
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

Ulf Kutzner wrote:
nobody schrieb:

BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq,
the tourism industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American
tourists.

The Euro got quite expensive for U.S. tourists.

Apart from the Iraq war and the expensive euro, something close to 20 %
has been the usual annual drop of US tourism to Germany. 2000 to 2001
we had an 18 % drop (see http://www.dzt.de/pdf/marktforschung_03_d.pdf,
page 19) and the following year must have been similar.

From my point of view, this trend reflects more or less the
numbers/percentage of the reduction of US troops in Germany. The
realtives and friends of the GIs used to be a certain quantity in the
German tourism statistics.

We are now thickening the sauce to the real interested travellers.
Less, but with higher per capita expenditures.

Jens

xp & f'up2 rec.travel.europe
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Brian Wasson

nobody wrote in message ...
BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq, the tourism
industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American tourists.

Have there been significant cuts in air services between USA and Germany since
last year ?

I don't believe so... in fact, from my area (Philadelphia, Pa.),
Lufthansa has actually ADDED flights to Frankfurt. As another poster
said, I'd bet that it's the precipitous fall of the dollar vs. the
Euro. My wife and I usually travel to Germany 2x/year, but we're
thinking twice about it this spring. We'll probably still go, but just
be a lot more careful about spending.
Old January 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Michael Thiele

Brian Wasson schrieb:

nobody wrote in message ...

BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq, the tourism
industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American tourists.

Have there been significant cuts in air services between USA and Germany since
last year ?

I don't believe so... in fact, from my area (Philadelphia, Pa.),
Lufthansa has actually ADDED flights to Frankfurt. As another poster

sure about that LH added flights?
isnt it just that the USAIR flight has a codeshare with LH now?

Old January 20th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Fly Guy

Have there been significant cuts in air services between USA and
Germany since last year ?

Didn't Lufthansa have some sort of service into Portland (Oregon) that
was started a year or two ago but has since been cancelled?
Old January 20th, 2004, 05:12 PM
mrraveltay

Brian Wasson wrote:

nobody wrote in message ...

BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq, the tourism
industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American tourists.

Have there been significant cuts in air services between USA and Germany since
last year ?

I don't believe so... in fact, from my area (Philadelphia, Pa.),
Lufthansa has actually ADDED flights to Frankfurt. As another poster
said, I'd bet that it's the precipitous fall of the dollar vs. the
Euro.

Cutting the flights woulnd't decrease the number of people going to
Europe, it's the other way around. Flights were cut because of the
reduction in people traveling.

Old January 20th, 2004, 06:05 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ulf Kutzner wrote:

nobody schrieb:

BBC has reported that since the start of the US invasion of Iraq, the tourism
industry in Germany has seen a drop of 20% in American tourists.

The Euro got quite expensive for U.S. tourists.

Having just returned from three weeks in Europe (Zurich & Vienna), I can
certainly vouch for that! The Swiss franc was worth slightly less in
dollars, which somewhat offset the hike in the value of the euro, but
this last trip cost me considerably more than the previous one! (Not
enough to keep me away from Europe, but enough to make my visits less
frequent.)