Libya: tour groups only?

Old July 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Default Libya: tour groups only?

In considering my options for seeing the eclipse next March 29, I read
in the Lonely Planet guide to Libya that tourists are admitted to the
country only as members of organized tours. Does anybody have contrary
experience or information?

--
(Charles Packer)
ungoogled: mailboxATSIGNcpacker.org

Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
There are several groups organizing eclipse tours, which might be a good
idea to join if you're serious about your eclipses. The maximum eclipse
will occur over remote areas of the desert, not somewhere you want or can
go alone. Google for "libya" "eclipse" "tour".

This turned up serveral tours. Now, how to get to Tripoli? I learned
from a posted newspaper article that British Airways has started flying
there. Any others? Whats the best Web site to search _international_
flights?

Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Pat Anderson

In message .com,
writes

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
There are several groups organizing eclipse tours, which might be a good
idea to join if you're serious about your eclipses. The maximum eclipse
will occur over remote areas of the desert, not somewhere you want or can
go alone. Google for "libya" "eclipse" "tour".

This turned up serveral tours. Now, how to get to Tripoli? I learned
from a posted newspaper article that British Airways has started flying
there. Any others? Whats the best Web site to search _international_
flights?

If you are flying from Britain go to:
http://www.cheapflights.co.uk
There are several carriers to Tripoli from Heathrow. Before the air
embargo was removed my husband flew to Tunisia and then overland from
Djerba into Libya. He flew Tunisair, Egypt Air, Air Malta and Alitalia
whilst he was travelling out to Libya, it was only in the last year he
was working there that he was able to fly direct to Tripoli from
Gatwick (2000) It`s easier now to get there.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Zeyd M. Ben-Halim

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:17:47 +0100, Pat Anderson wrote:

Zeyd,
Are you from Libya I wonder, is Libyan Arab still operating out of
Tripoli and Benghazi?
Shukran.
Pat

Yes, I was there 6 six weeks ago. Libyan Arab only does domestic flights
as far I could tell but not from Tripoli International. You have to
transfer to the domestic airport ar Em3aiteeqa (the old Wheelus field) to
go to domestic destinations including Benghazi. There are no international
flights to Benghazi as far as I know.

Zeyd