singapore sucks, don't go there

Old July 3rd, 2019, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris in Makati

Default singapore sucks, don't go there

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 00:03:32 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article ,
says...
These things always look overly dramatic on TV, but a couple of
streets away life goes on as normal.

Maybe, but as a tourist you do not know what is going on
and where. If out of luck, you might be in the wrong
place at the wrong time.
Better going to Singapore where things are quiet and
relaxed.

That could apply anywhere in the world if you happen to be in the
wrong place at the wrong time.

How many people not directly participating in the protests in Hong
Kong have you heard of being injured?

Maybe things are not so quiet and relaxed as you think in Singapore.
According to local media reports there were at least 3 people killed
in separate murder incidents there just yesterday.

Old July 3rd, 2019, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article ,
says...
Maybe things are not so quiet and relaxed as you think in Singapore.
According to local media reports there were at least 3 people killed
in separate murder incidents there just yesterday.

Well, according to this:

https://knoema.de/atlas/Singapur/Homizide
https://knoema.com/atlas/Hong-Kong/Number-of-homicides

there are more murders in Hong Kong than in Singapore.
Even the number of murders/100000 inhabitants is higher
in Hong Kong.

--
Alfred Molon
https://www.molon.de - Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

On 6/23/2019 7:36 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
It's indeed a bit expensive, but quite nice. Personally
I like it more than Hong Kong.

Both are great cities, but Singapore is a little boring. In Singapore I
like the good public transit, the excellent and safe street food, and
the fact that there is a great selection of very nice moderately priced
hotels. Also, most people speak English which is helpful.

Hong Kong is also really nice.

Personally I like Taipei and Seoul the best of large cities in Asia.
Old July 5th, 2019, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris in Makati

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 18:59:21 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Maybe things are not so quiet and relaxed as you think in Singapore.
According to local media reports there were at least 3 people killed
in separate murder incidents there just yesterday.

Well, according to this:

https://knoema.de/atlas/Singapur/Homizide
https://knoema.com/atlas/Hong-Kong/Number-of-homicides

there are more murders in Hong Kong than in Singapore.
Even the number of murders/100000 inhabitants is higher
in Hong Kong.

I'm sure there are.

How about answering the question is asked?

Old July 16th, 2019, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
hohum

sms wrote in :

On 6/23/2019 7:36 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
It's indeed a bit expensive, but quite nice. Personally
I like it more than Hong Kong.

Both are great cities, but Singapore is a little boring. In Singapore I
like the good public transit, the excellent and safe street food, and
the fact that there is a great selection of very nice moderately priced
hotels. Also, most people speak English which is helpful.

Hong Kong is also really nice.

Personally I like Taipei and Seoul the best of large cities in Asia.

Good public transport, what a joke. Only buses with no routes posted that
I could find. And taxis that won't pick you up off the street (maybe they
don't like white people?). People SUPPOSEDLY speak English but you cannot
understand a word they say, their accent is so heavy and pronuciation so
bad. Moderately priced hotels, you're joking of course. Cheap, fleabag
small room with small bed $100 USD/night. That's not moderately priced by
any stretch of the imagination. You must be on drugs? In Philippines,
things are cheap, I the choice of 4 types of cheap public transport
nearly everywhere. Hotel room even in a nice hotel is around $20/night.
Singapore is a **** town/country or whatever u want to call it. Also you
won't wind up flogged or wind up in jail for criticizing the government.
Old July 16th, 2019, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris in Makati

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 08:24:16 +0000 (UTC), hohum
wrote:

You must be on drugs? In Philippines,
things are cheap, I the choice of 4 types of cheap public transport
nearly everywhere. Hotel room even in a nice hotel is around $20/night.
Singapore is a **** town/country or whatever u want to call it. Also you
won't wind up flogged or wind up in jail for criticizing the government.

I'm not sure who is on drugs here. The Philippines has got some of the
worst value for money hotels SE Asia. I've lived in the Philippines
for over 20 years and I've never seen a "nice" hotel for $20. A
reasonable basic hotel maybe, but nothing most people would describe
as nice.

For the same money you'll get a much better quality hotel in Thailand
or Vietnam than you would in the Philippines.
Old July 16th, 2019, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SMS

On 7/16/2019 1:24 AM, hohum wrote:
sms wrote in :

On 6/23/2019 7:36 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
It's indeed a bit expensive, but quite nice. Personally
I like it more than Hong Kong.

Both are great cities, but Singapore is a little boring. In Singapore I
like the good public transit, the excellent and safe street food, and
the fact that there is a great selection of very nice moderately priced
hotels. Also, most people speak English which is helpful.

Hong Kong is also really nice.

Personally I like Taipei and Seoul the best of large cities in Asia.

Good public transport, what a joke. Only buses with no routes posted that
I could find. And taxis that won't pick you up off the street (maybe they
don't like white people?).

I think the problem is that you never were able to find the MRT and LRT
stations. Here is a map to help you get started:
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaweb/corp/PublicTransport/img/20190422%20SM%20-%20Up%20to%20CRL%20w%20DT4.jpg.
Old July 20th, 2019, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
hohum

Chris in Makati wrote in
:

wrote:

You must be on drugs? In Philippines,
things are cheap, I the choice of 4 types of cheap public transport
nearly everywhere. Hotel room even in a nice hotel is around $20/night.
Singapore is a **** town/country or whatever u want to call it. Also

you
won't wind up flogged or wind up in jail for criticizing the

government.

I'm not sure who is on drugs here. The Philippines has got some of the
worst value for money hotels SE Asia. I've lived in the Philippines
for over 20 years and I've never seen a "nice" hotel for $20. A
reasonable basic hotel maybe, but nothing most people would describe
as nice.

For the same money you'll get a much better quality hotel in Thailand
or Vietnam than you would in the Philippines.

I agree that thailand accomodations are better for the same price or
cheaper. I've lived near Dumaguete for several years now and there are
plenty of nice hotels in the $20 range. Depends on how you define nice.
Compare that to $100 a night for a tiny room with little or no furniture
in Singapore. Really it's a crap town, unless you already have friends
who can accomodate you there and even then it's not worth it. A simple
McDonalds meal is like $8. What a ripoff.
Old July 20th, 2019, 11:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
hohum

sms wrote in
:

[...]

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/l...nsport/img/201
90422%20SM%20-%20Up%20to%20CRL%20w%20DT4.jpg.

I was talking about local transport, not some commuter train. Yeah they
have a train, so what? Many cities have that. But local transport is
almost non-existent. Compare that to Philippines: jeepneys, buses,
motobikes, trikes, everywhere. I have a choice of 3-4 different modes of
transport into town all dirt cheap. Probably a 1km taxi ride, IF you can
get them to stop is like $50 in ******** Singapore.