Oh Goody - Passports anyone?

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:43 AM
miles

Dave Smith wrote:

You were required to show it or you had it with you and offered to show it?
Passports are not required for Americans entering Canada, but I am counting
on reciprocity when the US imposes the passport requirement on Canada.

1) When checking in for a Canada bound flight the ticket clerk would not
issue a boarding pass unless I got out my passport. I was told this had
been the policy for over a year.

2) When going through Canada customs at Montreal the customs agent asked
to see my passport. I had to get it out of my luggage.

3) When leaving Montreal the USA customs agent requested me to show my
passport.

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Rog'

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:
Until this stuff goes into effect you have simply had to show
proof of citizenship and a photo ID. A Drivers License & Birth
Certificate sufficed.

I do not understand the reluctance of U.S. travelers to obtain and
use passports. While a bit pricey, they're good for 10 years and
are much more convenient than other forms of documentation.
Besides, you can collect those neat stamps. =R=

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:49 AM
miles

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

It has not. Until this stuff goes into effect you have simply had to
show proof of citizenship and a photo ID. A Drivers License & Birth
Certificate sufficed.

Thats my understanding as well. However, three times I was REQUIRED to
show my passport. When leaving the USA, when entering Canada and again
Clearing USA customs.

I do know that when crossing the border by foot or car there are warning
signs on the USA side that state for return a Drivers License is not
proof of citizenship. It said a notorized birth certificate is, but
that two valid forms maybe required at the agents descretion.

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:51 AM
miles

Rog' wrote:

I do not understand the reluctance of U.S. travelers to obtain and
use passports. While a bit pricey, they're good for 10 years and
are much more convenient than other forms of documentation.
Besides, you can collect those neat stamps. =R=

Depends on where you go. Years ago when I visited Russia, the pages
were torn out as I left Russia. Not sure why they did that.

I also find a passport a good form of Identification when such is
required such as credit card purchases. A US drivers license is not an
acceptable form of identification in most foreign countries.