How much is a First Class Seat worth to you ... per hour?

Old October 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kev[_4_]

Default How much is a First Class Seat worth to you ... per hour?

On Oct 14, 1:18*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"mrtravel" wrote in message

news

tim..... wrote:

"-hh" wrote in message

A semi-hypothetical question.

Given that a First Class seat is worth 'something more', how much more
is it worth to you on:

a 5 hour flight?
10 hours?
15 hours?

A seat twice the size is worth twice the fare.

Yes, if you think linearly.

If two cars are the same size, are they also worth the same?

The point that I am making (in fact made) is that, personally, the only
thing that I'm prepared to pay extra for on a plane is extra space.

I am not prepared to pay extra for the "extras" that come with upgrading.
Not because they don't add anything to the cost, but because they add no
value to me for the journey.

I know what you mean, but folks were more focused on the linear
suggestion
about "twice the space is twice as much". Most of us don't have that
kind of
linear scale. Also, I enjoy the "wide" more than the long (although I
enjoy the
extra leg room). So I'm typically only gettin about 30% more width.
I do suspect
though that the square footage consumed is about twice though.

The other aspects do have value, but not much. It's nicer
typically
being in BC. The travelers tend to be more experienced, a bit calmer,
and a bit quieter. It's an overall lower stress level up there. But
we aren't
talking whole integer multiples so it only has some much real
multiplicitive
value.
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Traveller[_5_]

It would be an 8 hour overnight, followed by a 10 hour daytime. Same
on the return.

Total per person upgrade cost would be $1000 for the round-trip; base
coach airfare is $1700.

In my view, it's worth the $1000. An 18-hour trip is a monster and you'll
have the added benefit of lounge access, maybe priority checkin and
fast-track security. What's the routing?

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
-hh

"Traveller" wrote:

In my view, it's worth the $1000.

That's the conclusion I came to, so made the call last night.
Unfortunately found that it wasn't available across all segments (or
even all segments one-way), so this has just turned into a
hpypothetical exercise for next time.

An 18-hour trip is a monster and you'll have
the added benefit of lounge access, maybe
priority checkin and fast-track security.

Already have Elite status, so the only extra benefit would have been
lounge access. If I really want that, I can buy that for a lot less
than $1K per person.

*What's the routing?

EWR - AMS - DAR*; reverse for the return. Each way starts with an
overnight flight, transfer in AMS, then a daytime flight.

* - one stop at JRO on way down.

-hh
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

Depends on the airline and the plane.......there is a big difference
between a 777 and a MD-80

---
http://www.moviesitearchive.com/travel

On Oct 13, 5:00*am, -hh wrote:
A semi-hypothetical question.

Given that a First Class seat is worth 'something more', how much more
is it worth to you on:

a 5 hour flight?
10 hours?
15 hours?

Taking the above and normalizing by how many hours the flight is, do
you come up with a "$xx/hour" rule of thumb?

Basic reason for me asking the question is if to burn some miles and
dollars for an upgrade. *It it were miles-only, it would be a no-
brainer, but the dollars adds roughly $25/hour.

-hh