Security alarms and clothing rant

Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom Peel[_8_]

Default Security alarms and clothing rant

I'm getting so tired of discovering when I get to airport security that
some item of clothing I'm wearing sets off the metal detector. It's
happened again now with some new shoes I just bought that have some
metal buried inside them somewhere. I seem to be collecting more and
more clothes that are nogo for flying. The craziest items must be a
pair of trousers made by Patagonia, presumably designed expressly for
travellers, with a hidden pocket that has- yes you guessed, a metal zip,
and the money belt with the - yes you guessed right again, a concealed
metal zip. What a wonderful invention, a concealed money belt that you
have to take off to get through security.

Is there any outlet that supplies clothing that is guaranteed not to
activate metal detectors?

T.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Tom Peel" wrote:
... What a wonderful invention, a concealed money belt
that you have to take off to get through security.
Is there any outlet that supplies clothing that is guaranteed
not to activate metal detectors?

From your local jail... one of those orange jumpsuits;
OR
Pajamas, the kind that tie, not snap in front, and
a terry-cloth bathrobe

Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Makhno

From your local jail... one of those orange jumpsuits;

I do *not* recommend wearing one of these to pass through security,
metal detector or not.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom Peel[_8_]

Rog' schrieb:
"Tom Peel" wrote:
... What a wonderful invention, a concealed money belt
that you have to take off to get through security.
Is there any outlet that supplies clothing that is guaranteed
not to activate metal detectors?

From your local jail... one of those orange jumpsuits;
OR
Pajamas, the kind that tie, not snap in front, and
a terry-cloth bathrobe

That's what you wear??
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Tom Peel" wrote:
Rog' schrieb:
From your local jail... one of those orange jumpsuits; or
Pajamas, the kind that tie, not snap in front, and
a terry-cloth bathrobe

That's what you wear??

Not exactly. But I have seen athletic warm-up suits.
But then, that was a university woman's volleyball team .
Still, they looked darn good.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Larry in AZ" wrote in message
.. .
Waiving the right to remain silent, Tom Peel
said:

I'm getting so tired of discovering when I get to airport security that
some item of clothing I'm wearing sets off the metal detector. It's
happened again now with some new shoes I just bought that have some
metal buried inside them somewhere. I seem to be collecting more and
more clothes that are nogo for flying. The craziest items must be a
pair of trousers made by Patagonia, presumably designed expressly for
travellers, with a hidden pocket that has- yes you guessed, a metal zip,
and the money belt with the - yes you guessed right again, a concealed
metal zip. What a wonderful invention, a concealed money belt that you
have to take off to get through security.

Is there any outlet that supplies clothing that is guaranteed not to
activate metal detectors?

Something as small as a metal zipper shouldn't set off the detectors.

At the height of the lunacy at Heathrow last year a foil packet containing
an insect repellant wipe in my pocket set them off.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom Peel[_8_]

William Black schrieb:

.. .
said:

[...]

Metal foil is much better at setting off alarms than a solid piece of
metal. And yes, metal clothes zippers do set off the alarms. It might be
that the airports I use a lot have the machines turned up super sensitive.

T.
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Tom Peel wrote:

I'm getting so tired of discovering when I get to airport security that
some item of clothing I'm wearing sets off the metal detector. It's
happened again now with some new shoes I just bought that have some
metal buried inside them somewhere. I seem to be collecting more and
more clothes that are nogo for flying. The craziest items must be a
pair of trousers made by Patagonia, presumably designed expressly for
travellers, with a hidden pocket that has- yes you guessed, a metal zip,
and the money belt with the - yes you guessed right again, a concealed
metal zip. What a wonderful invention, a concealed money belt that you
have to take off to get through security.

Is there any outlet that supplies clothing that is guaranteed not to
activate metal detectors?

T.

In colder weather, I wear a pair of Dockers or blue jeans and a long
sleeve pull over shirt with a pair of sneakers and socks. I just dump
the contents of my pockets into a pocket in my carry-on backpack and I
remove my belt before I pass through security. In warmer weather, I wear
short pants and a short sleeve shirt. Never been a problem with my
clothing triggering the security scanner.