Rules for Baggage/carry-ons

Old October 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rudy[_1_]

Default Rules for Baggage/carry-ons

I had just gone to the TSA site. I didn't see the bit about not bringing
rolled up toothpaste tubes. I've never seen a shampoo bottle or toothpaste
tube that was only three ounces.

Go ito Target..they have a section where they sell mini "travel" sized
toiletries..about 99 cents each

Old October 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:36:56 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

Do you need to ship an entire suitcase? If so, pay the $15 and let the
airline handle it.

If not, just ship the shampoo or similar items that you can't carry-on.

I would just take the extra suitcase personally but that wasn't the
original post.

I have seen many people advocate shipping a suitcase for various
reasons including airlines losing the luggage.

Old October 27th, 2008, 07:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

wrote:

Do you need to ship an entire suitcase? If so, pay the $15 and let the
airline handle it.

If not, just ship the shampoo or similar items that you can't carry-on.

I would just take the extra suitcase personally but that wasn't the
original post.

Sure it was.

In message Ken Litwak
was claimed to have wrote:

| I don't want to pay a baggage
| fee just so I can bring my own toothpaste. If I bring an almost empty
| toothpaste tube and an almost empty shampoo bottle, can I bring that in
| a carry-on?

That very clearly indicates that the concern is toothpaste. The obvious
solutions a

1) Buy toothpaste in a smaller container that is within the rules.
2) Buy toothpaste at the destination.
3) Ship toothpaste.
4) Do without.

You could ship an entire suitcase just to carry toothpaste if you
wanted, but personally, if I didn't have time to buy what I needed at
the destination and had special needs that couldn't be bought in a small
container, I'd ship it in a small mailing tube via a courier with
delivery tracking.

I have seen many people advocate shipping a suitcase for various
reasons including airlines losing the luggage.

Yeah, and it's not cheap. I'd almost never recommend shipping an entire
suitcase for that reason either, easier to carry-on or ship a couple
day's worth of clothes and let the airline and/or travelers' insurance
work out the rest if the items disappeared, unless you needed many
custom outfits that couldn't be easily replaced while traveling.
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Doe[_2_]

DevilsPGD wrote:

You could ship an entire suitcase just to carry toothpaste if you
wanted,

No. Put your illegal dangerous terrorist materials such as toothpaste
and shampoo in a ziplok bag. Show it to the check in agent, she will
confirm you can't bring it aboard and then tell her to check it in and
watch her feel guilty charging you $25 for such a small bag, and watch
the airline baggage system unable to handle such a small piece of luggage.

If thousands of passengers did that on some protest day, you would find
airports and airlines quickly changing their minds about prohbiting
toothpaste and shampoo as carry ons.

If that $25 ziplok bag ends up costing airlines far more in manual
handling than $25, you'll find airlines lobbying government to remove
that silly restriction.

And so much the better if your $25 ziplok bag gets stuck and breaks the
baggage system and costs the airline thousands of dollars in delays etc.
Silly rules won't change unless they start costing airlines mucho money
and airlines lobby government to change them.
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Janet Wilder

wrote:

Do you need to ship an entire suitcase? If so, pay the $15 and let the
airline handle it.

If not, just ship the shampoo or similar items that you can't carry-on.

I would just take the extra suitcase personally but that wasn't the
original post.

I have seen many people advocate shipping a suitcase for various
reasons including airlines losing the luggage.

We have a suitcase in transit right now. We are traveling around in
Europe and it's easier with one suitcase each, but we are doing 2
cruises for the last leg of our journey and need more clothes. It is not
cheap! If you just want to save the extra luggage fee, you could pay the
fee many times over for what it costs to ship a bag.

JMTCW
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Dad

Ken Litwak wrote snip

I don't want to pay a baggage fee just so I can bring my own toothpaste.

Ken - How BIG are your teeth ?