Chirac warns of 'African flood'

Old July 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Mxsmanic

Default Chirac warns of 'African flood'

B Vaughan writes:

They won't support family planning programs that include abortion.

Why not? Abortion is a legitimate and effective form of birth control
when other methods fail.

Old July 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Mxsmanic

B Vaughan writes:

You just can't sell fertility control to a population whose children
die off at an alarming rate.

The societies with exploding populations do not have children dying
off at alarming rates; that's why their populations are exploding.

Old July 16th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:13:26 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Large parts of Africa cannot support dense populations.

You mean they cannot produce enough food for them?

Neither Hong Kong nor Singapore nor many other nice and wealthy
places can produce enough food for its inhabitants.

Nowadays, with world trade, to grow enough food is no longer a
requirement.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:16:41 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Relieving poverty does not cause a reduction in birth rate. Education
does, however.

The main path of relieving poverty is through education, which
leads to increased productivity.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On 15 Jul 2006 04:57:19 -0700, Hooverphonic wrote:

reducing the population would resolve all the other worldly problems
that we face.

While that is true, there may still be better ways. A large
population has its advantages as well.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Dave Frightens Me

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:23:19 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jim Ley writes:

how does the licensing scheme work?

They take an exam. If they pass, they can have children. If they
don't, they can't. Just like becoming a pilot.

I'd love to see what type of exam that would entail, and just how they
would stop the failers from breeding.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
NightRaven

Jim Ley wrote:
On 15 Jul 2006 14:16:52 -0700, "R. Lander"

wrote:

Many biologists conclude that 2 billion may be the maximum
sustainable level after oil peaks and crashes.

And in the 60's many believed 4 billion based on food, turned
out to
be complete bunkum just like wherever that url might've taken
me.

The only reason we are able to uphold our standard of living,
(and not starve), is because the third world is starving today.
It's that simple, we just pushed the problems of a too large
population over on third world countries, the results can be seen
today in the massive hunger catastrophies in other countries.
Eventually it will catch up to us though, it's like a tree
lighting setting it's roots on fire to stop from freezing to
death.
We *are* too many people today, but the answer is not in reducing
the population in Africa, but rather in Europe, US, Mexico and
Japan for instance.

- NightRaven

Old July 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Whitedog

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:20:36 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:13:26 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Large parts of Africa cannot support dense populations.

You mean they cannot produce enough food for them?

Neither Hong Kong nor Singapore nor many other nice and wealthy
places can produce enough food for its inhabitants.

Nowadays, with world trade, to grow enough food is no longer a
requirement.

While that's true it's not a good thing IMO. In parts of rural Kenya
(& the same may be said of many other places) there will be
undernourished people, especially during prolonged dry seasons. In my
local supermarket I can buy all year round, "fresh" Kenyan produce
like mange tout peas for example.
There is an inbalance somewhere in that. I'm sure that precious water
is being diverted for these export crops, water that many Kenyans
would rather use for their own crops or livestock. Big business, with
its connections to government officials can take liberties with the
rural poor which wouldn't be allowed elsewhere.
The other issue is "food miles". It's really crazy to fly fresh food
around the world, polluting the environment for short term gain, I
hope we'll see an end to this soon. It won't be taking jobs from
Africans really as the few jobs these businesses create are short
lived and unsustainable.

There are places in the world where the land can sustain a certain
local permanent population, the carrying capacity. In many cases in
Africa this has been exceeded and the consequences for people too poor
or otherwise unable to escape this are dire.

What a miserable thought. Who's got some fantastic photos to share
with us all this week???
--
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old July 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
JohnT[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jim Ley writes:

how does the licensing scheme work?

They take an exam. If they pass, they can have children. If they
don't, they can't. Just like becoming a pilot.

You are totally mad.

JohnT

Old July 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc

JohnT wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jim Ley writes:

how does the licensing scheme work?

They take an exam. If they pass, they can have children. If they
don't, they can't. Just like becoming a pilot.

You are totally mad.

He's a damn good pilot though. The only time he's crashed that I
remember from his blog was when he went to do some washing and left the
game, sorry, simluator on auto-pilot.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org