Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old June 24th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Avoid Delta and Atlanta

We are Europeans living near Birmingham and have often business and personal
friends visiting us. In recent months, we have heard from 2 couples and
several single travelers that European travel agencies are warning to stay
away from Delta (long waiting times at check-in and poor service,
particulaly eastbound over the Atlantic) and Atlanta ( very slow arrival
clearance with baggage that has to be recovered, handled and checked in
again. Long lines in front of uninterested customs people etc.)
Why are Atlanta and Delta singled out?

Old June 24th, 2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Well, it confirms my own experience. I have been flying out of Atlanta to
Frankfurt/Germany quite frequently for more then 15 years. AFAIK, Delta has
declared bankruptcy and seems to operate with a minimum of service persons.
I have switched to Lufthansa for most of my travel to Europe, but last week
I tried Delta's new service to Düsseldorf / Germany. Check-in in Atlanta
took 1.5 hours just to get the luggage weighted and then you still get your
luggage back and have to go to another counter and wait again! During the
long night flight not a single flight attendent showed up to even offer a
cup of water! I used to love Delta........

news

Old June 24th, 2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Why are Atlanta and Delta singled out?

Delta being in bankruptcy probably has something to do with it.
Atlanta being the busiest airport in the country also probably has
something to do with it. If possible, connect through Cincinnati
(CVG), as it is much less busy than Atlanta (ATL). The queues
at CVG are not near as long.

Pete

Old June 25th, 2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Some of those samaritan-type City of Atlanta downtown helpers
might/oughtabe re-positioned to the airport during the busiest times if
the situation is as cruddy as it appears to be, though I suppose the
regular employees whom are being layed-off or kept from getting
over-time would not agree.
Hey, it's only an idea--not necessarily realistic nor adaptive to
Delta's crisis situation. I think the State should subsidize 'em in any
legal, helpful ways we can, though I'll fly Air Tran to save a buck,
and, helle yes, I'm a fool-hypocrite.

Old June 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air

In article ,
Herb Ludwig wrote:

In recent months, we have heard from 2 couples and
several single travelers that European travel agencies are warning to stay
away from Delta (long waiting times at check-in and poor service,
particulaly eastbound over the Atlantic) and Atlanta ( very slow arrival
clearance with baggage that has to be recovered, handled and checked in
again. Long lines in front of uninterested customs people etc.)

Delta is a fairly mediocre airline, but certainly no worse than
European carriers. As for Atlanta, it's a model of efficiency and
good customer service compared to a big European airport (with very
few exceptions like Schiphol).

Old June 25th, 2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air

My 3c worth:

Ever since reading this group I can' stop wondring about the number of
posts suggesting that Airline X is worth less than all others, or
Airport B is worth less than all olthers.

Guys, please understand that you are reporting individual experiences,
and even if you flew, say, once a month, they will remain individual
experiences. Only a well-designed and impartial survey could really
differentiate between airlines and airports Such surveys do exist,
although I don't have a link at hand.

In the particular case of airline and and airport, Delta is no worse
than any other major US airline; bankrupcy or no bankrupcy. I was
recently on an Air France flight where the flight attendants closed
themselves off behind curtains immediately after serving dinner and
were very angry if someone tried to lift the curtain to ask them for
something. "Don't you see we are having dinner?" was one response. The
other was "Don't you see we are having rest?" Some crews are better
than others within one airline -- I had previously experienced very
good service on AF, so I really won't generalize on this single
experience.

As for checking in luggage, yes, you have to get it weighted and then
you have to carry it yourself for TSA inspection. But this has nothing
to do with Delta -- it's a federal requirement. All other airlines in
the US are currently obliged to do the same.

So guys, tried to grow up a little and look at things from a distance.
There is no question that the overall standard of air travel have
declined immensely in recent years. But singling out particular
airlines and/or airports really needs some solid statistical data.
Otherwise, it just serves the purpose of venting your individual
frustrations, however justified, and is thus completely unhelpful to
other members of this group.

Again, this was my 3c worth.

jrk

Old June 25th, 2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote:
In the particular case of airline and and airport, Delta is no worse
than any other major US airline; bankrupcy or no bankrupcy. I was
recently on an Air France flight where...

= I agree. Extrapolating one bad experience, like one marriage, to
an entire fleet (or gender) don't make a whole lot of sense, without
a valid statistical sample.

As for checking in luggage, yes, you have to get it weighted and then
you have to carry it yourself for TSA inspection. But this has nothing
to do with Delta -- it's a federal requirement. All other airlines in
the
US are currently obliged to do the same.

= At Virgin Atlantic in Orlando, I had to hand carry my luggage out the
door we just came in to hand it off to a screener. With Virgin, like
most
airlines, allowing online check-in, at least we didn't have to wait in
the
1.5-hour line. It was well worth the inconveniece of finding an
internet
service at my destination for our return flight. Besides, that way, I
could
lord it over the fools in the long-line and feel superior to them, even
tho
I was in the same sardine-class cabin.

Old June 25th, 2006, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Herb Ludwig wrote:
We are Europeans living near Birmingham and have often business and personal
friends visiting us. In recent months, we have heard from 2 couples and
several single travelers that European travel agencies are warning to stay
away from Delta (long waiting times at check-in and poor service,
particulaly eastbound over the Atlantic) and Atlanta ( very slow arrival
clearance with baggage that has to be recovered, handled and checked in
again. Long lines in front of uninterested customs people etc.)
Why are Atlanta and Delta singled out?

The procedure of rechecking baggage when connecting from an
International flight is normal all over the US. You don't usually have
to do anything other than hand the bag to an airline employee just past
Customs. It is normally already tagged with your destination.

One thing that confuses me.. You indicate you are near Birmingham, but
you posted from an AT&T dialup address in ATLANTA,
240.131.77.12.in-addr.arpa 240.131.77.12.in-addr.arpa name =
240.atlanta-04-05rs.ga.dial-access.att.net.

Are you sure you aren't just some redneck in Atlanta that just doesn't
like tourists?
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In article .net,
Hilary wrote:

It's not clear whether DL will keep flying

It seems very clear that DL will keep flying, bankruptcy or no
bankruptcy.

and therefore people booking a
year in advance may want to consider other alternatives.

Why on earth would anyone book an air ticket a year in advance?

Old June 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air

It's not clear whether DL will keep flying

It seems very clear that DL will keep flying, bankruptcy or no
bankruptcy.

Since you obviously can foretell the future, why haven't you made a
fortune in the stock market? No, it is not "clear" that Delta will keep
flying. It is likely but hardly clear. If the price of oil takes another
upwards leap, a few airlines will be in trouble.

and therefore people booking a
year in advance may want to consider other alternatives.

Why on earth would anyone book an air ticket a year in advance?

Booking a frequent flier award ticket far in advance may be the only
way to ensure getting specific dates.

Pete