Comments on itinerary [Yosemite, Zion, Death Valley + more]

Old December 30th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Zeyd M. Ben-Halim

Default Comments on itinerary [Yosemite, Zion, Death Valley + more]

Peter Ibrahim wrote:
At first glance, local company FOX looked quite cheap, however their cost of
CDW jacked the price up quite a lot. Avis' quote included unlimited
mileage, without having to worry about what states we could/could not enter,
and included 'additional drivers insurance' or something along those lines,
which I believe was similar to CDW.

Beware "additonal insurance" is NOT the same as CDW. It usually just offers
higher limits than your normal insurance. CDW is a racket but is a necessity
if your credit card doesn't cover it (and CC don't cover 'loss of use' but
it's better than nothing). It seems that all car rental companies are primarily
in the insurance business.

Enterprise was the most expensive out
of the lot, it appeared that you pay the underage drivers fee per each
underage driver, which meant very little savings with multiple people. Have
not heard of Trailfinders, will check them out!

Checkout orbitz.com, it shows a concise matrix of all companies and all their
car class and the cost.

As far as radios are concerned I had a Taurus from Payless in Denver back
in September (Ford Granada size) and it came with a radio and CD player.
Given the distances I would suggest that with 3/4 of you anything smaller
would be a false economy.

Don't rely on just a radio if you need something to listen to. 3 days of
nothing but the single country music station is enough to drive you over
the many cliffs in the southwest :-)

My biggest concern was where we'd fit all our luggage, and given the
relatively inexpensive cost of upgrading to a larger size car, I think we'll
get something with room to spare. I've not seen anywhere any options for
manual drive instead of automatic drive - have you come across this option
at all? None of us have ever driven automatics before, and what with having
to get used to right-lane driving, would be nice to have a system of driving
we're used to. Otherwise we should probably practice with automatics a
little in Britain before we go.

It'll take you all of 5 minutes to get used to an automatic.

Zeyd

Old December 30th, 2003, 12:28 PM
uk_2_usa

A few friends and I are looking to travel to the USA next Summer. We plan
on spending 3-4 weeks there, flying into Phoenix and then heading to a few
various National Parks, coupled with some of the big cities on the West
Coast. More specifically, this is what I've considered as a plan:

-Flying into PHX
-Driving to Flagstaff
-Visiting the Petrified Forest before heading North to Monument Valley
-From there, heading SW to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon
-Travelling into Utah to see Zion National Park, and then heading SW again
to Las Vegas.
-From Las Vegas, heading NW through Death Valley, to Yosemite National Park.
-We then plan on travelling to San Francisco, before driving down Highway 1
to LA, and further, San Diego.
-From San Diego (which isn't a definite stop on our trip) to Joshua Tree
National Park.
-Heading NE to the old Route 66 road between Seligman and Kingman, and
hopefully visiting Havasupai (?).
-Finally heading back towards Flagstaff, before driving south through Sedona
to return to PHX.

Peter,

I'd go from Monument Valley up into Utah, maybe Colorado as one of
your other respondents said and hit the South Rim of the Grand Canyon
on your way back from Kingman to Flagstaff. It make better sense as a
route. At Monument Valley consider staying at Gouldings Lodge. Its
fantastic to wake up and see the Mittens through your window.

You can read about and see pictures of many of the places you intend
to visit on
http://www.uk-2-usa.com