17 mile drive by motorbike

Old July 6th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Turby

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:08:34 +0200, "C.d.N.P."
wrote:

CIAO!

We are two people coming from Italy and next august we'll make the US coast
to coast tour with our italian motorbike;

departu New York arrival: San Francisco.

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific coast
(from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion about this
trail?

First of all: We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Does it really worth it?

It is very pretty with some very expensive houses, but if you have
limited time, don't bother. (Back in the 60's, you could sneak in from
the top ridge on a bike and avoid the toll. Not now.)

Do ride Hiway 1 down the Big Sur coast! It's incredible. If you are
going to do a round trip from Monterey or San Francisco, you can do a
nice loop. Go down 1 to Cayucos or Morro Bay, then go inland to Paso
Robles. Head back north on G14, which goes to Jolon on Hunter Liggett
miltary base, then to King City and up to Greenfield. There you should
take G16, which is Carmel Valley Road.
While Hiway 1 is spectacularly beautiful and a fun road to ride,
Carmel Valley Road is much more fun on a bike, especially a sport
bike. It will give you a good experience of what back country roads in
America can be. (If you're going coast-to-coast, you're going to spend
plenty of time on major highways and you'll need an antidote.)

By the way, for a foreign tourist, I think there are a handful of
sights in America that everyone should see. Mind you, as a westerner,
I am biased, but don't miss: San Francisco, Big Sur, Yosemite, Las
Vegas at night, the Grand Canyon, and New Orleans.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Kitchen Man

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:54:20 -0700, "Paul Calman"
wrote:

You got that right. Best 100 miles you'll ever ride.
http://home.comcast.net/~vickman/trip8.htm

The 30 miles of the Amalfi drive in Italy is far more interesting, but a lot
slower

That would be the Amalfi to Sorrento bit, I'll wager. Get to the tour
bus early if you want a seat on the downhill side. Gotta do that bit
on a motorbike someday. Someday...

Old July 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM
PC Paul

C.d.N.P. wrote:

CIAO!

We are two people coming from Italy and next august we'll make the US coast
to coast tour with our italian motorbike;

departu New York arrival: San Francisco.

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific coast
(from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion about this
trail?

First of all: We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Does it really worth it?

Thank you for the attention and for the kind reply you will give us.
Regards

Matteo and Stella

mailto: (remove NOSPAM)

Varese - Italy

The 17 Mile Drive through Carmel is closed to motorcycles at all times.

--
PC Paul

Trip pics at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/paul1cart

"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to
society" - Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Turby

wrote:

You got that right. Best 100 miles you'll ever ride.
http://home.comcast.net/~vickman/trip8.htm

The 30 miles of the Amalfi drive in Italy is far more interesting, but a lot
slower

That would be the Amalfi to Sorrento bit, I'll wager. Get to the tour
bus early if you want a seat on the downhill side. Gotta do that bit
on a motorbike someday. Someday...

A buddy of mine who rides bikes rented a car with his wife. He said
the bikers on that road are insane. Passing tour buses on blind
corners at speed was the norm.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:31 AM
??

C.d.N.P. wrote:

CIAO!

We are two people coming from Italy and next august we'll make the US coast
to coast tour with our italian motorbike;

departu New York arrival: San Francisco.

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific coast
(from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion about this
trail?

First of all: We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Does it really worth it?

Thank you for the attention and for the kind reply you will give us.
Regards

Matteo and Stella

mailto: (remove NOSPAM)

Varese - Italy

Matteo and Stella--

How many days of travel do you have? Would you like any suggestions of
twisty, or scenic roads to ride? Do you know your approximate route? I
am a motorcyclist myself and can suggest some good roads to ride in
Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Utah.
(I've ridden Stelvio, Gavia, and Spluegen.)

Wilber Jones
Princeton, WV
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Icono Clast

C.d.N.P. wrote:
We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific
coast (from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any
suggestion about this trail?

The Seventeen Mile Drive is about 27km. It's about 200km from San
Francisco to Monterey.

If your machine is two cycle, be aware that we do not have gasoil
pumps. You'll have to do your own mixing in pints, quarts, and
gallons. Also, our tire pressure is expressed in pounds per square
inch but once you know what yours should be, all you have to do is
remember it.

Your concern about 27km causes me to wonder whether you're aware that
it's farther than 4,000km from New York to San Francisco.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Fletis Humplebacker

PC Paul wrote:
C.d.N.P. wrote:

CIAO!

We are two people coming from Italy and next august we'll make the US
coast to coast tour with our italian motorbike;

departu New York arrival: San Francisco.

We would like to ride the famous "17 mile drive" along the pacific
coast (from Monterey to San Francisco). Could you give any suggestion
about this trail?

First of all: We heard that motorcycles are not allowed. Is it true?

Does it really worth it?

Thank you for the attention and for the kind reply you will give us.
Regards

Matteo and Stella

mailto: (remove NOSPAM)

Varese - Italy

The 17 Mile Drive through Carmel is closed to motorcycles at all times.

I lived there in '81-'82 and only had a 2 wheeled beemer so if
it's off limits to bikes it's changed since then. I would guess it
has more to do with loud pipes than anything else, they do like
their tranquility, even if it's only superficial.

Old July 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Rayvan

Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

I lived there in '81-'82 and only had a 2 wheeled beemer so if
it's off limits to bikes it's changed since then. I would guess it
has more to do with loud pipes than anything else

That's perfectly fine to have a loud pipes rule. I can understand that,
but what about the folks with stock bikes? GoldWings are perty dern
quiet. Why are they banned? Why can I take an open piped old hotrod on
17 mile drive? What's the real deal?

Old July 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Turby

On 7 Jul 2005 08:38:14 -0700, "Rayvan"
wrote:
Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

I lived there in '81-'82 and only had a 2 wheeled beemer so if
it's off limits to bikes it's changed since then. I would guess it
has more to do with loud pipes than anything else

That's perfectly fine to have a loud pipes rule. I can understand that,
but what about the folks with stock bikes? GoldWings are perty dern
quiet. Why are they banned? Why can I take an open piped old hotrod on
17 mile drive? What's the real deal?

They're Republicans, what'd you expect? ;-)

--
Turby the Turbosurfer
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Paladin

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:08:00 GMT, Bownse wrote:

In many cases a rider
could cross multiple counties (or eastern US states) in less time than
it takes to cross Tx (or CA the long way).

You got that right. In '70 I was discharged from the USAF, Robins
AFB, Georgia, late afternoon. Took off in the car and did not stop
until I was over the state line into Alabama. Next day I crossed
Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and just into Texas. Next day I was
*STILL* in Texas. Last day I left Texas, crossed New Mexico,
Arizona, California (short way) to San Diego then north to Los
Angeles.