Visiting Belize from UK - any tips?

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Jeffers

Default Visiting Belize from UK - any tips?

Hi all,
I'm the world's worst traveller and avoid it if at all possible, but
I'm obliged to visit a friend in Belize for a few days within the next
month and I haven't a clue how to get there with minimum stress and
hassle. I'm rather tall and find the average plane seat very cramped
and am dreading the prospect, to be honest. Can anyone give me any tips
as to how to go about arranging this trip. I've sorted out my
innoculations so it's 'just' the travel and stop-over accommodation I
need to work out. Where do I start? I need some pointers! Help!!
-Jeff.

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Riaz

Can you spend more money and travel Economy Plus, Business class or
First class?

Old October 15th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Jeffers

AFAIK, there's only Cattle Class to Central America from GB. OTOH., if
you're flying between NY and London, you're spoiled for choice. Not so
on the 'less-travelled ways' where it seems you have to grab what you
can get.

Old October 15th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Charles Newman

"Jeffers" wrote in message
oups.com...
AFAIK, there's only Cattle Class to Central America from GB. OTOH., if
you're flying between NY and London, you're spoiled for choice. Not so
on the 'less-travelled ways' where it seems you have to grab what you
can get.

I dont think he could go to Belize without a stop in America

Old October 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"Charles Newman" wrote in message

"Jeffers" wrote in message
oups.com...
AFAIK, there's only Cattle Class to Central America from GB. OTOH., if
you're flying between NY and London, you're spoiled for choice. Not so
on the 'less-travelled ways' where it seems you have to grab what you
can get.

I dont think he could go to Belize without a stop in America

It seems that there are only:
American Airlines: . Direct flights from Dallas/Ft. Worth, Miami.
Continental Airlines: Nonstop from Houston.
Taca (El Salvador): Direct flights from Houston, Miami.

who fly there.

tim

Old October 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Frank F. Matthews

tim (moved to sweden) wrote:

"Charles Newman" wrote in message

"Jeffers" wrote in message
groups.com...

AFAIK, there's only Cattle Class to Central America from GB. OTOH., if
you're flying between NY and London, you're spoiled for choice. Not so
on the 'less-travelled ways' where it seems you have to grab what you
can get.

I dont think he could go to Belize without a stop in America

It seems that there are only:
American Airlines: . Direct flights from Dallas/Ft. Worth, Miami.
Continental Airlines: Nonstop from Houston.
Taca (El Salvador): Direct flights from Houston, Miami.

who fly there.

tim

It appears that you can fly to Belize from Jamaica. I suspect that you
can get there from europe without going thru the US. It might also be
possible to go thru El Salvador but I am not as confident of access to
there from europe.

Old October 15th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Jeffers

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

It appears that you can fly to Belize from Jamaica. I suspect that you
can get there from europe without going thru the US. It might also be
possible to go thru El Salvador but I am not as confident of access to
there from europe.

Thanks, Frank (and others). Whichever way I do it, It will involve one
stop-over in Miami, Dallas or DC. or Jamaica, it seems. It's only the
long-haul part across the Atlantic that I'm dreading legroom-wise so I
guess I could maybe arrange two seperate return trips; say
London-Miami-London (pre-booked with legroom) and Miami-Belize-Miami
(cattle-class when I actually get to Miami). What are the chances of
pulling this off and would it cost more than the usual method of
booking the whole trip with one carrier?

Old October 15th, 2005, 09:08 PM
John R. Levine

guess I could maybe arrange two seperate return trips; say
London-Miami-London (pre-booked with legroom) and Miami-Belize-Miami
(cattle-class when I actually get to Miami). What are the chances of
pulling this off

Excellent. Just call up a travel agent and ask them to do it.

and would it cost more than the usual method of
booking the whole trip with one carrier?

Depends. If you book the trans-Atlantic part in premium economy or
business class, it's probably cheaper to buy a through ticket in biz
class than two tickets, even though the Miami-Belize flight is only
available in coach. I'm not sure it's worth it, though. I'm 6'4" and
not skinny, and I have flown coach across the Atlantic many times and
lived to tell the tale. Look for an airline with 34 or 35 inch seat
pitch in coach.

By the way, a little poking around looking for connections reveals
that you can't fly from London to Belize without spending the night
in a connection city. The flights from London to the US all arrive
in the afternoon, and the flights from the US to Belize all leave
in the morning. Going the other way the connections work fine,
arrive in the US in the afternoon and leave for the UK in the
evening.

R's,
John
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:02 AM
chilly

"Jeffers" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,
I'm the world's worst traveller and avoid it if at all possible, but
I'm obliged to visit a friend in Belize for a few days within the next
month and I haven't a clue how to get there with minimum stress and
hassle. I'm rather tall and find the average plane seat very cramped
and am dreading the prospect, to be honest. Can anyone give me any tips
as to how to go about arranging this trip. I've sorted out my
innoculations so it's 'just' the travel and stop-over accommodation I
need to work out. Where do I start? I need some pointers! Help!!

I can't help too much with your flight arrangements, however, I do recommend
that you select your seat at your earliest opportunity.

If you can get a bulkhead seat, you get more leg room. In the absence of
that, select an aisle seat. That way you can stretch your legs out a bit
from time to time.

Since I'm not eligible, I never get to sit in the emergency aisle seats
either but I've heard that they get assigned last. Perhaps you can ask for
one of those seats at the gate. Anyone else around that knows more about
this?

Old October 18th, 2005, 11:22 AM
DB

...leg room...

Ah, yes the challenge of all us tall ones.

I use SeatGuru to find the best seats with the airline choices that are
before me:

http://www.seatguru.com/

DB