Contacting Spirit of Tasmania from the US

Old October 3rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
Brian Chick

Default Contacting Spirit of Tasmania from the US

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to contact the
Spirit of Tasmania bookings office directly from the United States? I
see the freecall number on their web site, which I guess would only be
usable from within Australia. I have sent two email booking requests
to them (via their web site)without any response and was hoping to be
able to talk to them directly.

Any help is appreciated!
Brian
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Daniel Bowen

"Brian Chick" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to contact the
Spirit of Tasmania bookings office directly from the United States? I
see the freecall number on their web site, which I guess would only be
usable from within Australia. I have sent two email booking requests
to them (via their web site)without any response and was hoping to be
able to talk to them directly.

In the phone book there is a local 13 number listed, which may or may not
work. From the US it would be +61 132010. (From the US, you put "011" in
front of this to dial international, I believe.)

I also found a local number in Devonport for their Administration arm, which
hopefully could put you through to the right people: +61 3 6421 7311.

They also have a direct e-mail res (at) spiritoftasmania.com.au which might
work better than their web site.

When you do get in contact with them, be sure to tell them you didn't get a
response from their web site.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen at custard dot net dot au

Old October 4th, 2003, 01:14 AM
4000 psi

In the phone book there is a local 13 number listed, which may or may not
work. From the US it would be +61 132010. (From the US, you put "011" in
front of this to dial international, I believe.)

what is the city code for this #?

Old October 4th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Daniel Bowen

"4000 psi" wrote in message
In the phone book there is a local 13 number listed, which may or may

not
work. From the US it would be +61 132010. (From the US, you put "011" in
front of this to dial international, I believe.)

what is the city code for this #?

13 numbers don't have a city code - they are national (for the price of a
local call in Australia). Which is why I said it may or may not work - I've
had conflicting reports on whether or not you can dial a 13 number from
outside Australia. Commonwealth Bank, for example, advertise that you can
dial theirs, but my sister in England has been unable to dial other 13
numbers. I think it probably depends on where the company involved has
specified to the phone company that they want to receive calls from.

Daniel

Old October 4th, 2003, 02:48 AM
4000 psi

i got ya BTW ... what are the local charges and what are the long distance
charges roughly?

"Daniel Bowen" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 4th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Daniel Bowen

"4000 psi" wrote in message
i got ya BTW ... what are the local charges and what are the long distance
charges roughly?

Local is AU$0.40 from a payphone (more from some privately owned payphones)
or about AU$0.25 from a home phone (varies according to provider and plan).
Untimed calls.

Long distance varies widely according to payphone or home phone, which
provider, which plan, where you're calling, time of day. Timed calls, often
with a flagfall (small fixed cost per call).

Daniel

Old October 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Brian Chick

"Daniel Bowen" wrote in message . ..
In the phone book there is a local 13 number listed, which may or may not
work. From the US it would be +61 132010. (From the US, you put "011" in
front of this to dial international, I believe.)

I also found a local number in Devonport for their Administration arm, which
hopefully could put you through to the right people: +61 3 6421 7311.

They also have a direct e-mail res (at) spiritoftasmania.com.au which might
work better than their web site.

When you do get in contact with them, be sure to tell them you didn't get a
response from their web site.

Daniel

Thanks for the info. I tried the "13" number and a recording told me
the number was not available from where I was calling from. So, I
guess it's the other number. I'll have to time the call to make sure
someone's around when I call. I tried just now and there was not even
a voice mail answering machine on the number - it just rang forever.

Cheers,
Brian
Old October 4th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Daniel Bowen

"Brian Chick" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the info. I tried the "13" number and a recording told me
the number was not available from where I was calling from. So, I
guess it's the other number. I'll have to time the call to make sure
someone's around when I call. I tried just now and there was not even
a voice mail answering machine on the number - it just rang forever.

Right... try during the week. Tasmania is 10 hours ahead of GMT.

When you do get hold of them, be sure to point out how difficult it has been
to contact them. It must be counterproductive to their business.

Daniel

Old October 6th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Ed Barron

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 08:56:57 +1000, "Daniel Bowen"
wrote:

"Brian Chick" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for the info. I tried the "13" number and a recording told me
the number was not available from where I was calling from. So, I
guess it's the other number. I'll have to time the call to make sure
someone's around when I call. I tried just now and there was not even
a voice mail answering machine on the number - it just rang forever.

Right... try during the week. Tasmania is 10 hours ahead of GMT.

Sorry, its now 11 hours ahead of GMT - "summer" time started early
this morning!

When you do get hold of them, be sure to point out how difficult it has been
to contact them. It must be counterproductive to their business.

Daniel

Regards,

Ed Barron
Old October 9th, 2003, 02:10 AM
Drala'Fi

In article ,
"Daniel Bowen" wrote:

"4000 psi" wrote in message
i got ya BTW ... what are the local charges and what are the long distance
charges roughly?

Local is AU$0.40 from a payphone (more from some privately owned payphones)
or about AU$0.25 from a home phone (varies according to provider and plan).
Untimed calls.

Long distance varies widely according to payphone or home phone, which
provider, which plan, where you're calling, time of day. Timed calls, often
with a flagfall (small fixed cost per call).

If I may add comments to the phone thread (as I have no advice on contacting
Spirit of Tasmania)...

the phone system is radically different from North America, enough that I was
still wrapping my brain around it weeks later. These bits of info might come in
handy for you:

If you find you need to call a cell, aka mobile phone, and can only call from a
payphone... have a Telstra phone card handy (the ones you can just stick into
the unit). Whoever calls the mobile pays for the call, and payphones cut you off
after about 40 seconds no matter how much actual money you put into it. You also
have to include the 04 in front of all cell numbers, since they act like long
distance no matter where they actually are

1-300 numbers act as local calls, while 1-800 are *usually* free of charge even
at pay phones.

No area codes aside from a 2-digit state code if you're calling long distance.

Cheers!

--
remove "_spmfri" from email to reply privately