Fisherman's Wharf to Oakland Airport

Old October 30th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Lee

Default Fisherman's Wharf to Oakland Airport

Hi,
I need help on how to get from the Sheraton on Mason St/North Point to
Oakland Airport at 7am on a Thursday. I'm told I need to take the BART to
Coliseum but how do I get on the BART from my hotel please? Do I need to
take a bus to the nearest BART station?

Thanks, Lee
Derby UK.

Old October 30th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Ken

"Lee" wrote in :
I need help on how to get from the Sheraton on Mason St/North Point to
Oakland Airport at 7am on a Thursday. I'm told I need to take the BART to
Coliseum but how do I get on the BART from my hotel please? Do I need to
take a bus to the nearest BART station?

You're about 2 miles from the nearest BART station. You could walk along the
Embarcadero or catch a bus or a trolly or a cable car. There are lots of
public transit options in San Francisco and the major lines run very
frequently.
Old October 30th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Peter L

"Lee" wrote in message
Hi,
I need help on how to get from the Sheraton on Mason St/North Point to
Oakland Airport at 7am on a Thursday. I'm told I need to take the BART to
Coliseum but how do I get on the BART from my hotel please? Do I need to
take a bus to the nearest BART station?

The simplest way is to ask your hotel concierge. Taking a taxi is the
easiest way. It's only a short ride. You'll be going very early in the
morning, so a taxi is probably your best option. Make sure you know how to
ride BART and how to get a ticket ahead of time, so you won't be trying to
figure it out with all your luggage in toll.

Thanks, Lee
Derby UK.

Old October 30th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:57:27 +0000, Ken wrote:

"Lee" wrote in :
I need help on how to get from the Sheraton on Mason St/North Point to
Oakland Airport at 7am on a Thursday. I'm told I need to take the BART to
Coliseum but how do I get on the BART from my hotel please? Do I need to
take a bus to the nearest BART station?

You're about 2 miles from the nearest BART station. You could walk along the
Embarcadero or catch a bus or a trolly or a cable car. There are lots of
public transit options in San Francisco and the major lines run very
frequently.

It's not clear from the post whether the poster needs to be at
OAK at 7:00 or needs to leave SF at 7:00. If he needs to be at
OAK at 7:00 it's going to be a bear getting there. There is a
BART train leaving Embarcadero Station at 6:27 arriving Coliseum
at 6:45, which would allow 15 minutes for the shuttle to the
airport, taking the next earlier train might be prudent; it
leaves Embarcadero at 6:12 and arrives Coliseum at 6:30. It's the
Dublin-Pleasanton train.

The connection can be done at the Powell Street BART station by
taking the Hyde Street cable car, but, frankly, the cable cars
are just unreliable enough that they shouldn't be counted on for
mission-critical use. There's only one cable car departure
"scheduled" early enough to make the BART connection. Anyone who
has used the cable cars very often knows why I put "scheduled" in
quotes.

The F-line trolley can take you to Embarcadero Station, but you'd
have to catch the earliest one at 5:47, and it's a few blocks
from Mason and Northpoint.

My suggestion is to take a cab to the BART station. If the cabby
takes the Embardero to Embarcadero Station, tell him to let you
off at the Ferry Building and then walk across the park to the
Station; otherwise you'll pay for him to circle a block or two.

Do not, under any circumstances, take a road vehicle, cab, bus,
shuttle, or otherwise, to Oakland at that time on a weekday
morning.

See http://www.transitinfo.org for info.

Old October 30th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:27:31 -0800, "Peter L"
wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message
Hi,
I need help on how to get from the Sheraton on Mason St/North Point to
Oakland Airport at 7am on a Thursday. I'm told I need to take the BART to
Coliseum but how do I get on the BART from my hotel please? Do I need to
take a bus to the nearest BART station?

The simplest way is to ask your hotel concierge. Taking a taxi is the
easiest way. It's only a short ride. You'll be going very early in the
morning, so a taxi is probably your best option.

Surely you jest. The Bay Bridge and the Nimitz Freeway can be
zoos after 5:30 in the morning. More importantly, a single
fender-bender can jam up the bridge.

It's also a very long, expensive ride in a cab.

Old October 30th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Peter L

wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message
Hi,
I need help on how to get from the Sheraton on Mason St/North Point to
Oakland Airport at 7am on a Thursday. I'm told I need to take the BART

Coliseum but how do I get on the BART from my hotel please? Do I need

take a bus to the nearest BART station?

The simplest way is to ask your hotel concierge. Taking a taxi is the
easiest way. It's only a short ride. You'll be going very early in the
morning, so a taxi is probably your best option.

Surely you jest. The Bay Bridge and the Nimitz Freeway can be
zoos after 5:30 in the morning. More importantly, a single
fender-bender can jam up the bridge.

It's also a very long, expensive ride in a cab.

I was not clear. I meant take a cab to the nearest BART station.

Old October 30th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:23:36 -0800, "Peter L"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The simplest way is to ask your hotel concierge. Taking a taxi is the
easiest way. It's only a short ride. You'll be going very early in the
morning, so a taxi is probably your best option.

Surely you jest. The Bay Bridge and the Nimitz Freeway can be
zoos after 5:30 in the morning. More importantly, a single
fender-bender can jam up the bridge.

It's also a very long, expensive ride in a cab.

I was not clear. I meant take a cab to the nearest BART station.

Oh. Well. I certainly can't argue with that.

Old October 30th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Alan Follett

"Lee" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I need help on how to get from the Sheraton on Mason St/North Point to
Oakland Airport at 7am on a Thursday. I'm told I need to take the BART to
Coliseum but how do I get on the BART from my hotel please? Do I need to
take a bus to the nearest BART station?

Thanks, Lee
Derby UK.

There are at least four MUNI routes which would take you to BART from
your hotel:

- The Route F trolley, running on Beach Street, one block north of
North Point, will take you to the Embarcadero BART station; debark at
Market and Drumm.

- The Route 15 bus, on Powell Street, one block east of Mason, will
take you to the Montgomery Street BART station.

- The Route 10 bus, on North Point, crosses Market at 1st Street,
between the Embarcadero and Mongomery Street BART stations (and a
short walk along Market to either).

- If you're going for local color, the Powell and Mason cable car line
ends at Bay and Taylor, two blocks from the hotel, and will take you
to the Powell Street BART station. Lines to board the cable car
shouldn't be bad at 7:00 a.m., but I'd allow a bit of extra time if
you're going to use this option.

MUNI information can be found at:

http://www.sfmuni.com/home/home50.htm

Alan Follett
Hercules, CA
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:38 PM
TanQ10

You would have to catch a bus to get to the nearest BART station. Why
not just arrange for a taxi service to pick you up from your hotel and
take you to Oakland? They are usually around $20 or less one way. Look
in the yellow pages under 'Airport Shuttle'. I used them on my last
business trip and it was very convenient.

-A