Best time of the year to visit Australia?

Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:13 AM
Paul

Default Best time of the year to visit Australia?

Best time of the year to visit Australia?

My wife and I (late 40’s) are planning to visit Australia for the first
time.
We live near Los Angeles and are interested in a combined package flying
Quantas
and staying 4 nights in Sydney, 4 in Melbourne and 4 in Cairns-Great Barrier
Reef.

We are considering going either in April (for her birthday) or in late
December, for the
holidays. We know December is the beginning of summer and should be warmer
than
April, but what about rain? We would not want to go in full rainy season, if
there is such
thing. And although we could look up the weather at many other sites, I
believe nothing is
better than to hear from people who have been there.

The question is:

How is the weather in April or December for the 3 cities we plan to visit?
Any additional comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Paul

Old February 3rd, 2005, 05:45 AM
David Bennetts

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

For the statistics, go to http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/

April isn't bad normally for Sydney and Melbourne, though it does fluctuate
considerably in terms of rainfall and temperature.
In Cairns, neither month is ideal, on average, as you're either going into
or out of the tropical wet season. It should be quite humid, but in the
tropics you often get heavy showers with a fair amount of sunshine.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:18 AM
roy

dont forget the electrical storms during the tropical wet season are
some of the most spectacular you will ever see.

seems you live in a city, why bother with others during so short a
hoilday.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:24 AM
GTRad

December's great in the southern two-thirds of the country - where
Sydney and Melbourne are. It's not so great in the top third. It's in
the Tropics. Very hot and very humid, with loads of rain, maybe even a
cyclone. Afterall, it's their "Wet" season up there. Best time for
northern third is from late April to October. But you can luck out and
get some fine weather up north during the "Wet". You may not get any
rain at all, or if there is, it'll be heavy but brief, leaving you most
of the day to enjoy, although it'll still be quite humid. That's not to
say you won't get rain in Melbourne or Sydney during December either.
They can get a bit of odd, stormy summer weather during summer, like
yesterday - practically flooded out in Melbourne.

Be aware that during the "Wet", beaches near the shore in the northern
part (north of Tropic of Capricorn) are unsafe due to poisonous
jellyfish. Outer reef okay though. And beaches in Cairns are yukky,
mostly mudflats. Head 20km north and then all along there toward Port
Douglas, to get fantastic beaches. Some beaches have jellyfish nets, so
stick to those if you come in December and head north and want to enjoy
the beach.

Other tips: can't stress sunscreen enough. Our summer sun can be
lethal. Ozzie Osbourne described his 20 minute attempt to get a suntan
during a visit to Perth, as akin to being f****** nuked or napalmed.

As a rule, we don't tip, although I keep hearing that goes on, mostly
in the east. Grrrrr. I'd rather you didn't, as we don't exactly want
this encouraged. We have lots of BYO restaurants (not the posh ones),
so you can save a bit if you want to enjoy a good Aussie wine, or beer,
while eating out, by hitting the bottle-o (liquor store) first.
Restaurants will charge something for corkage.

Use Sydney's ferries as much as you can, it's actually a great way to
sightsee the harbour area which is so pretty. Lots to see and enjoy
there. Melbourne too - they have these great old-fashioned trams but
they're real, useful public transit, not tourist traps.
Have fun. Hope you have a great time.

Old February 10th, 2005, 05:48 AM
GTRad

Also be aware that school holidays can mean places are booked out or
just very busy.

Here's a link to the school terms of all the states, includes 2006 as
well:
http://www.dest.gov.au/schools/dates.htm

Seems like most of the country's schoolkids are off in April, all but
Victoria. At least your kids will have other kids to play with at
campgrounds or the hotel pool. This is not to say that everyone is
travelling and booking up hotels and flights, but it will be busier
than normal. So book early.

Old February 10th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Ross

We're heading for Adelaide in a week or two. We want to spend a week or so
in McLaren Vale.

Mc Laren Vale district grows the best Shiraz in Oz (I.M.H.O.) and there are
some great winemakers there, too.

Mc Laren Vale is just South of Adelaide and an easy self drive or take a
tour so you can take a taste or too.

Wineries to look out for : Magleri and Noon just to name two.

Enjoy!

Ross

"Paul" wrote in message
Thanks again for the all info, I really appreciate it.

Yes, we will enjoy Australian wines. We frequently buy them in Los Angeles
stores.
It will be great to taste them down there.
And of course there will be much more to see on a second trip.
I just have to set a date and book the vacation, which I'll do this same
week.

Thanks again
Paul

"Mike McBain" wrote in message
"Paul" writes:

The trip as planned by Quantas is: Arriving at Adelaide (2 nights),
then ferry to Kangaroo Island (2 nights); plane to Cairns (4 nights);
plane to Sydney (4 nights); return home. Hotels and transportation
are included in the package and there are optionals such as 1/2 day
sightseeing in Sydney; full day rainforest visit in Cairns; etc.

I'll appreciate any opinions on this new, revised itinerary.

{It's Qantas--no 'u']. Adelaide is like a country town. The second day, a
car
trip through Adelaide Hills and some wineries would be nice (unless
you're Mormons, in which case you'll see some 19th century housing).

Kangaroo Island is interesting enough--lots of bloody koalas eating
themselves
into oblivion.

Cairns itself isn't that interesting, but the Atherton Tableland and
rainforest
areas are. The Kuranda Skyrail is worth it (cable car skimming over the
top
of the rainforest). Port Douglas is a much nicer place to stay, about 1
hour north of Cairns.

Sydney is a cosmopolitan global city around a magnificent harbour. Do the
Opera House, climb the Bridge, travel by ferry, go up the Centrepoint
Tower,
etc. Fit in a Blue Mountains day trip--spectacular scenery.

You haven't even touched the major physical attractions--Ayers Rock,
Kakadu, Nullarbor Plain, Gibson Desert, South-western Tasmania, south-
western Western Australia, the Kimberley, Lake Eyre, or the Great Barrier
Reef
[although you might manage it from Cairns or Port Douglas], Gulf Country,
Great Ocean Road, Macquarie Lakes or the whole alpine region. But, then,
you have to leave something for the next time, don't you?

Mike McBain