Tipping at Pinnacle Grill, was HAL Tipping Policy

Old June 15th, 2004, 03:41 PM
RTCReferee

Default Tipping at Pinnacle Grill, was HAL Tipping Policy

Charles lid wrote:

Someone posted, I think it was rtcreferee, that it has not been proper
to call female server a waitress for twenty years! Maybe that is a
California or San Francisco affectation? As far as patronizing,
"server" sounds more patronizing.

Yes, Charles, it was me who first said it is not proper to call out
"Waitress!".

Do you mean that it sounds patronizing to CALL out "Server!" to get someone's
attention? If so, then we are in agreement. That's not what I suggest one do.

But to refer to the POSITION in the way in which one would normally find it
listed in professional ads (at least in the San Francisco Bay Area, an area
known for excellent dining) for fine establishments is not the same as calling
out to someone to get their attention.

IF it were to become necessary to call out to the person who serves my table, I
would use the terms "sir" or "ma'am" if I do not know their name, since I feel
that service people deserve the same courtesy that they show me. On a cruise
ship, however (and in many restaurants), names are prominently displayed and
servers introduce themselves. I see no need—and I feel it is
discourteous—to call out "Waitress!" to get the attention of the female who
serves my table.

To further clarify, as it appears necessary to spell it out to some of the
readers here, I do not call out "waitress" or "waiter" or "server" or snap my
fingers at someone to get their attention. That is just plain rude. Usually a
polite nod or raise of an index finger is all it takes to get the attention of
your server.

If you do a search of employment ads (in the trades) for fine establishments in
the Bay Area, you will usually see the word "server" listed. It is most
definitely NOT an affectation.

Old June 16th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Mason Barge

On 15 Jun 2004 14:41:00 GMT, ando (RTCReferee)
wrote:

Charles
lid wrote:

[...]

RTC, you are a model of political correctness and I am just the
opposite LOL. But we do agree about this and I think in real life we
would get along just peachy.

I usually say "excuse me" to get the attention of a (gag) "server". I
don't go so far as to say "sir" or "ma'am" but I wouldn't be rude. On
cruises, of course, I usually know the name of my waiter or waitress.

And in general, I tip waitresses and waiters the same amount for the
same level of service.

Believe it or not, btw, I'm a civil rights plaintiffs' attorney LOL.
I've spent my life suing employers for race/gender/religion/etc.
discrimination.

If you do a search of employment ads (in the trades) for fine establishments in
the Bay Area, you will usually see the word "server" listed. It is most
definitely NOT an affectation.

From my point of view, it is an affectation.
Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Mason Barge" wrote in message

I usually say "excuse me" to get the attention of a (gag) "server". I
don't go so far as to say "sir" or "ma'am" but I wouldn't be rude. On
cruises, of course, I usually know the name of my waiter or waitress.

That's what I do too, Mason..even though she/he has introduced themselves by
name, I feel more comfortable doing that when in a restaurant...
If it is on a ship and they are the same person serving us all week long, I
feel comfortable using the name that they have introduced themselves with
and that is on their name tag..

And in general, I tip waitresses and waiters the same amount for the
same level of service.

Same here, it's the level of service that counts, not the gender.

Believe it or not, btw, I'm a civil rights plaintiffs' attorney LOL.
I've spent my life suing employers for race/gender/religion/etc.
discrimination.

Then I'm sure that you could write a book, both sad and humorous!!

--Jean