Looking for Advice on All-Inclusive Destinations

Old January 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM
LT

Not hard, there are public buses running all the time, they take US dollars.
Why downtown? Most of the party bars are in the hotel zone, not
downtown.....
LT

wrote in message
How easy is it to get from Club Med to downtown if a person wanted to
do that a couple of nights? I don't necessarily think we will want to
do that every night, but it might be fun for a couple of nights.
Regards,

Slacker

Old January 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Mike H

Taxi will run about $10 - 15 each way, or the bus picks up just at the
Club Med entrance (but it's a 15 minute walk to the entrance). The club
usually has a 'semi-official' "go downtown and party" outing once a week.
It's not as convenient as some of the resorts on the main strip, but being
a little away from the strip has some advantages also.

For Myan ruins, I'd suggest Chichen Izta. There are others closer (Coba
and Tulum) but they are not as impressive. (We've been to all three.)
It is a full day trip (2.5 - 3 hours each way). The Club Med does offer
a very nice trip that has an extra bonus of being able to utilize the
Club Med Archological village just outside the entrance to Chichen Izta.
(Check my Club Med Cancun review from 2002 for more details on this.)

Mike

Old February 1st, 2005, 01:38 AM

Thanks for all the good information. All you responders are helping
out a lot with great information. Our first big decision is to just
decide if we go to the Riviera Maya, Cancun, or Cozumel, in no
particular order. Any input anyone could have on pro's and con's for
each of the three would be greatly appreciated. Our interests are a
good and lively nightlife, good daytime activities (snorkeling, diving,
good pools, sailing, jet-skiing, water-skiing), proximity to Chichen
Itza for a day-trip, a little shopping and exploring, and finally a
good place to chill out and relax for two days of the week. I realize
that this is a lot of information, and everyone will have their own
perspectives, but any information and opinions anyone could provide
would be greatly appreciated. It really seems like we couldn't go
wrong with any of the three, and each has it's strengths and weaknesses
in the interests listed above.
Regards and thanks again for all your input,

Slacker
Old February 5th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Steven Goodman

The closest place to catch the bus from Club Med is in front of the
Westin; the big pink hotel next to Club Med. Just walk along the beach,
and walk between the Westin and the next hotel, and there is a bus stop
right at the main road. When you come back, if you want to go to the CM
entrance make sure you get a bus that goes that far, many turn around at
the Westin.

If you are willing to be "adventureous" going into town is interesting.
If you get a few blocks off the main streets it becomes less touristy,
but few people speak English. But they still all take dollars!

There is a cute little ruin in the Cancun hotel zone; Ruinas sel Sol (or
something). It is close to CM, right on the main road so you can take
the bus. It is a nice place to go see and get a break from CM. Worth
maybe an hour of walking around, more if you bring lunch. They were
building a museum next to it, but I have no idea if it is finished.

Steven Goodman

Old February 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Sam

I would advise against Cozumel. I wasn't impressed with their beaches.
Playa Del Carmen or the Riviera Maya is a lot more peaceful and full
of Europeans. I would recommend staying at the Riu Palace there. But,
beware, the hotels in that region have very hard beds and the
buildings are not concrete like in Cancun. So, if noise from your
neighbors or the cleaning crew is an issue, I would not stay in Playa
Del Carmen. But, Playa is nice, but personally, I prefer Cancun.

wrote in message
[...]
:
: Slacker
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Sam

"David E. Bath" wrote in message
:
: I've only stayed at two resorts in Cancun since we are not party
: people and prefer very remote locations. I've stayed at Royal
Solaris
: and Blue Bay Village. Royal Solaris is a much nicer resort.

Yes, compared to the two, the RS is a nicer resort but only because BB
is such a poor hotel, IMHO. Golden Crown Paradise is very good so is
the Omni. I have also heard good things about the Piramides and the
Riu Cancun. The RS is very old and not kept up very well. They have a
sister hotel now called the GR Solaris near Club Med.
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Sam

I dunno, I would get really creeped out going to a place where I know
they used people as human sacrifices. That' explains why I haven't
and won't go to Chichen Itza. It's *kinda* like visiting the
Auschwitz concentration camp.

"LT" wrote in message
: Chichen Itza is very cool, all day trip between the drive and ruins.