Rent or buy camp stove in Dar es Salaam

Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Allison[_1_]

Default Rent or buy camp stove in Dar es Salaam

Hi all,
I am planning a trip to Tanzania, leaving in two weeks, November 4. We
are going to be camping and I am trying to figure out how to handle the
stove and fuel issue. We can't bring fuel on the plane, so we need to
bring a stove for which fuel is readily available in Tanzania. I would
prefer not to have to buy a new multifuel stove here in Canada. The
most likely one I've seen here is $130 (Cdn). Another option would be
to buy or rent a stove in Dar es Salaam when we arrive.

Does anyone know of a good location in Dar to buy or rent a stove?
Alternatively, does anyone know where I could buy or rent a stove in or
near Ottawa, Canada that would work with Tanzanian gas cylinders.

Thanks,
Allison

--
Allison
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:09 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Hi Allison,

You can usually buy the disposable Camping Gaz cylinders (for the
Bluet 206 style stove, not the "easy clic") in Dar es Salaam (the most
likely place to find them is at Shoprite in Nyerere Road), but there
is no absolute guarantee that there will be stock at all times. The
heads for these stoves are relatively inexpensive and very compact, so
it would be a good idea to take one along if you have one.

Depending on where you will be going, cooking can often be done on an
open fire using available wood, or with charcoal purchased in towns
and villages. You could always buy a small "braai grid" at the
Shoprite which can be used as a general purpose cooking grid on an
open fire.

Regards,
Marc