Yellowstone vs Smoky Mountains

Old February 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Yellowstone vs Smoky Mountains

In article ,
Todd Michel McComb wrote:

I'll probably just annoy people by saying this, but it can sure
be boggling how rude "parking lot" people are compared to people
you meet on trails.

How about the ones that think the road is a parking lot just
because there are a couple bison near by.

--
http://yosemitephotos.net/
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

In article , wrote:
How about the ones that think the road is a parking lot just
because there are a couple bison near by.

Heh, yes... that seems to be a very common trait, and it can be
maddening, especially at Yellowstone where the drives are so long.
Actually, I was talking to staff about this, and as they say "these
are our highways." But yeah, it's the same mentality... don't even
bother to pull to the side of the road, just block everyone. Hey,
I've seen a bison... 100s of 'em.

Anyway, yes, these sorts of "peeve" discussion probably aren't going
to go anywhere productive, so I should bite my tongue/fingers.

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

And if you do go to Yellowstone, make a point to visit the Grand Tetons.
Wonderfully majestic. Dunno, but I would not at all be surprised if those
Budweiser football playing horses commercials are filmed there. And if not
there, then someplace very much like it.

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Todd Michel McComb wrote:

Heh, yes... that seems to be a very common trait, and it can be
maddening, especially at Yellowstone where the drives are so long.

I was bad in October; I can only imagine what it must be like
in the summer.

--
http://yosemitephotos.net/
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:04:55 +0000, ruth wrote:

Hi there

We're thinking of visiting one of the National Parks in the US and would
really welcome opinions on Yellowstone and the Great Smoky Mountains;
both look lovely and so we're not yet sure which we would like to visit.

We're thinking of going at some point in the summer months and would be
going for a couple of weeks. There's a lot of info out there on both but
it would be useful to have any pros and cons too!

Yellowstone, by all means.

The Smokey Mountains National Park is nice, particularly in the Fall
when all the leaves turn, but Yellowstone (and the surrounding area) is
spectacular. Absolutely, no comparison. Only problem is by mid-June to
the end of August, Yellowstone is very crowded. I usually go there the
first week or so of June or September, before the Summer crowds arrive or
after they've left. Weather can be iffy. The last time I was there, in
September, it snowed 18" the day after I left.

And take the time -- a few days, at least -- to visit the Gran Teton Park
and the city of Jackson Hole, which has become kind of a trendy artists'
colony.

Stef
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

(However my guess is that Yellowstone is a lot more crowded in the
summer than the Smokies.)

I was in Yellowstone last October. The parking lot at Old Faithful
was almost empty but its size was frightening. The place must get
a lot of people in the summer.

--
http://yosemitephotos.net/

If you do a hike into the (back-)country you will be alone
within minutes!

Jan j.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

Hi Stefan

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:04:55 +0000, ruth wrote:

Hi there

We're thinking of visiting one of the National Parks in the US and would
really welcome opinions on Yellowstone and the Great Smoky Mountains;
both look lovely and so we're not yet sure which we would like to visit.

snip

Yellowstone, by all means.

The Smokey Mountains National Park is nice, particularly in the Fall
when all the leaves turn, but Yellowstone (and the surrounding area) is
spectacular. Absolutely, no comparison.

OK, that's pretty definite-sounding then!

Only problem is by mid-June to
the end of August, Yellowstone is very crowded. I usually go there the
first week or so of June or September, before the Summer crowds arrive or
after they've left. Weather can be iffy. The last time I was there, in
September, it snowed 18" the day after I left.

He he, I'm used to iffy weather from the UK and so hopefully we'll be able to
take that as it comes!

And take the time -- a few days, at least -- to visit the Gran Teton Park
and the city of Jackson Hole, which has become kind of a trendy artists'
colony.

Brilliant - thanks very much for the tips - I'm doing lots of reading up online too.

Kind regards

Ruth
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

Hi Keith

wrote in message
Hi there

We're thinking of visiting one of the National Parks in the US and would
really welcome opinions on Yellowstone and the Great Smoky Mountains;
both look lovely and so we're not yet sure which we would like to visit.

snip

The Smokies are nice but not very different from forested mountain
regions anywhere in the world.

Yellowstone is unique and the trip of a lifetime, there's no contest
go to Yellowstone (and dont miss Grand Teton NP while there)

Yes, many people have mentioned this too....

Accomodation in the park is in short supply , go online and
book NOW

He he - yes, I'm sure that accommodation gets snapped up pretty fast and
so thanks very much for the advice!

Kind regards

Ruth
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

Hi George

In article .com,
"george" wrote:

Yellowstone and Grand Teton have the beautiful scenery, the large
thermal areas, and abundant wildlife. You should be able to horseback
ride in either place.

Many thanks for your help George.

All the best

Ruth
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

Hi Brian

In article .com,
"BrianW" wrote:

I agree: The Smokys are nice, but not really worth a two-week stay IMO.

Aha - OK.....that makes sense given what other people are saying....

Yellowstone and its environs are magnificant, and are well worth
seeing. I'd consider taking a few days of your trip and heading up to
Glacier National Park on the Montana/Canada border. It's a bit of a
drive from Yellowstone, but very pretty country.

Fab - thanks very much for the advice - it sounds as if there will be a
lot to see!

Kind regards

Ruth