E-docs... what do you think?

Old December 18th, 2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default E-docs... what do you think?

Now that most of the cruise lines have some sort of way to produce E-tickets
instead of the traditional paper tickets, I was wondering how people feel
about E-docs in general.

To me, as a cruiser, getting the cruise documents is a part of the fun of
planning and going on a cruise. But... truthfully, I seldom look at them.
With most lines demanding pre-cruise online registration, they really are
not necessary.

On my Princess cruise last week... I printed out my boarding pass and that
and my credit card was all that was needed to board the ship. Check-in took
less than 5 minutes.

As a travel agent, I have to admit that I am in love with the idea of
E-docs. Yesterday I spent over $400 on postage and year after year, postage
continues to be one of my larger expenses.

So what do you think... Yea or Nay to cruise E-docs?

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm
May 12, 2008 - 5 nt New Orleans http://www.cruisemaster.com/fantasy.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm

Old December 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

George Leppla wrote:
Now that most of the cruise lines have some sort of way to produce E-tickets
instead of the traditional paper tickets, I was wondering how people feel
about E-docs in general.

To me, as a cruiser, getting the cruise documents is a part of the fun of
planning and going on a cruise. But... truthfully, I seldom look at them.
With most lines demanding pre-cruise online registration, they really are
not necessary.

On my Princess cruise last week... I printed out my boarding pass and that
and my credit card was all that was needed to board the ship. Check-in took
less than 5 minutes.

As a travel agent, I have to admit that I am in love with the idea of
E-docs. Yesterday I spent over $400 on postage and year after year, postage
continues to be one of my larger expenses.

So what do you think... Yea or Nay to cruise E-docs?

It works well for the airlines, so why not for the cruise lines? Either
way, it doesn't matter to me.
Just wondering where and when you got the luggage tags.

Ermalee ---my two pennies worth
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

George Leppla wrote:
Now that most of the cruise lines have some sort of way to produce E-tickets
instead of the traditional paper tickets, I was wondering how people feel
about E-docs in general.

To me, as a cruiser, getting the cruise documents is a part of the fun of
planning and going on a cruise. But... truthfully, I seldom look at them.
With most lines demanding pre-cruise online registration, they really are
not necessary.

For our Jan. 5th Emerald Princess cruise we have our first e-docs and I
don't mind them at all. It was always exciting getting our traditional
docs, but they served very little purpose and were just something else
to throw out after our cruise.

sue

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Ermalee wrote:

Just wondering where and when you got the luggage tags.

Princess sends your luggage tags in their pre-cruise package that has
the shore excurtion info and other stuff.

sue
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Ermalee" wrote

So what do you think... Yea or Nay to cruise E-docs?

It works well for the airlines, so why not for the cruise lines? Either
way, it doesn't matter to me.
Just wondering where and when you got the luggage tags.

Princess mails them. Royal Caribbean has a system where they can send tag
stock to your TA and he/she can print them. (I hear this is a real PIA and
doesn't work well).

Mostly, you just wait until you get to the pier and have the porters put
tags on your bags right there. They always have a ship's passenger manifest
and a supply of tags.

Old December 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

George, Waiting till you get to the pier for your luggage tags is just
one more delay to an already huge Cluster Fu*k. Bus traffic, taxis,
vans, personal cars and 3000 people looking for their first buffet
without having to make sure the baggage handler puts the right color
luggage tag on is not a solution. Not everyone has access to a computer
or printer either. I think a single sheet of paper with a bar code
scanner with luggage tags is all that need to be sent. Not these huge
coupon books they send now. I don't know if you looked at the luggage
tags I just got but they were paper and They needed to be stapled to
the luggage handle. So now I'm supposed to travel with a stapler or
roll of tape. What was Carnival thinking?? They rip right off the bag.
But I am all in favor e-tickets or 1 page bar code tickets so long as
they send luggage tags.

I also put on my comment card that all island immigration forms should
be sent ahead of time with the tickets. Not waiting till we get to the
terminal to fill them out. I hate having to fill out forms while
holding travel docs, passport and luggage all while walking. This trip
we had two forms to fill out One for the Bahamas and the other for
Antigua or Tortola (I forget). It would sure speed up check in if
everything was filled out ahead of time.

Old December 19th, 2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Ermalee wrote:
It works well for the airlines, so why not for the cruise lines? Either
way, it doesn't matter to me.
Just wondering where and when you got the luggage tags.

Well, the airlines didn't send anything interesting other than
legalese with the ticket. The cruise lines sent some moderately
interesting stuff.

For NCL last summer, we had to print our own luggage tags and
they sucked. I did not put them on prior to our flights since we
were flying NY to Hawaii and when we got there the NCL rep had
to twist it closed to get it to stay on. I was surprised when we
actually got our luggage in our cabin. I would have MUCH
preferred having real luggage tags with our cabin number and
sticky backs to put on the bags in the airport.

Bill
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "George Leppla" :

Now that most of the cruise lines have some sort of way to produce E-tickets
instead of the traditional paper tickets, I was wondering how people feel
about E-docs in general.

To me, as a cruiser, getting the cruise documents is a part of the fun of
planning and going on a cruise. But... truthfully, I seldom look at them.
With most lines demanding pre-cruise online registration, they really are
not necessary.

On my Princess cruise last week... I printed out my boarding pass and that
and my credit card was all that was needed to board the ship. Check-in took
less than 5 minutes.

As a travel agent, I have to admit that I am in love with the idea of
E-docs. Yesterday I spent over $400 on postage and year after year, postage
continues to be one of my larger expenses.

So what do you think... Yea or Nay to cruise E-docs?

Oh hell yeah! Like you, mailing them out is a certified pain. Mainly
because I do use certified. I get the e-docs, make sure they're
square, and forward them. And I have a copy, just in case.

From the passenger's point of view, TSA has basically made sure that
you have to do a whole boat load of stuff before you ever show up, so
the cruise lines are having you do the rest. Our last few cruises
have been "flash the passports, swipe the card, here are your keys,
step to your right, please remove your hat and glasses and looke
here". Four minutes last time. I checked.
--
dillon

I used to think the horse's name was Bob.
And the angel's name was Hark.
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "George Leppla" :

"Ermalee" wrote

So what do you think... Yea or Nay to cruise E-docs?

It works well for the airlines, so why not for the cruise lines? Either
way, it doesn't matter to me.
Just wondering where and when you got the luggage tags.

Princess mails them. Royal Caribbean has a system where they can send tag
stock to your TA and he/she can print them. (I hear this is a real PIA and
doesn't work well).

They didn't work real well in my HP ink jet printer. Tech support at
RCI suggested a Canon color laser printer. Great!

Old December 19th, 2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake (RICK DAVIS) :

George, Waiting till you get to the pier for your luggage tags is just
one more delay to an already huge Cluster Fu*k. Bus traffic, taxis,
vans, personal cars and 3000 people looking for their first buffet
without having to make sure the baggage handler puts the right color
luggage tag on is not a solution. Not everyone has access to a computer
or printer either. I think a single sheet of paper with a bar code
scanner with luggage tags is all that need to be sent. Not these huge
coupon books they send now. I don't know if you looked at the luggage
tags I just got but they were paper and They needed to be stapled to
the luggage handle. So now I'm supposed to travel with a stapler or
roll of tape. What was Carnival thinking?? They rip right off the bag.
But I am all in favor e-tickets or 1 page bar code tickets so long as
they send luggage tags.

Rick, on our first cruise, we didn't have our room assignment until we
got to the pier. The luggage handler looked up our name and whipped
out a HUGE wad of tags and got the correct ones on.

On our last trip, we had e-docs and, yes, the tags were crap (less,
actually). But the handler just looked us up and whipped out an even
larger wad of tags.

While it is true that the ship sizes and passenger loads have gone up,
so have the number of porters. And proportionally greater.

I also put on my comment card that all island immigration forms should
be sent ahead of time with the tickets. Not waiting till we get to the
terminal to fill them out. I hate having to fill out forms while
holding travel docs, passport and luggage all while walking. This trip
we had two forms to fill out One for the Bahamas and the other for
Antigua or Tortola (I forget). It would sure speed up check in if
everything was filled out ahead of time.

Disney has been doing this. Unfortunately, from what I've heard and
seen, very few people can figure out how to fill them out. Heck, few
people get the customs declaration card filled out for re-entry to the
US.