Interrail Supplements Germany

Old April 30th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Sim?o Mata

Default Interrail Supplements Germany

Hi,

I'm travelling this year with an InterRail pass to zones C and D.

I would like to see an updated list of all supllements for these
countrys, especially germany.

I don't seem to find an updated list, I heard that supplements changed
this year!

Thanks for your help.

Simão Mata
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Lennart Petersen

"Sim?o Mata" skrev i meddelandet
om...
Hi,

I'm travelling this year with an InterRail pass to zones C and D.
I would like to see an updated list of all supllements for these
countrys, especially germany.
I don't seem to find an updated list, I heard that supplements changed
this year!
Thanks for your help.
Simão Mata

As for Germany AFAIK you don't need supplements for travelling EC,IC,IR
trains as those supplements are abolished. You do need a supplement for
travelling ICE,InterCityExpress trains. As for the NZ and CNL night trains
you need a reservation for sleeper,couchette but also ordinary seat
accommodation. You're granted a discount on the THALYS trains running from
Cologne.
Be aware of the many new established private railways replacing DB-services
and not honoring Interrail.
You don't need supplement for Austria,Switzerland nor Denmark except the EC
trains Copenhagen-Hamburg. Be aware again of the ,especially in
Switzerland,many private railways. Arriva in Denmark accepts Interrail ,so
do MOB,BLS,RhB,SOB in Switzerland and GySEV in Austria,Hungary.
In zone I think you need supplements for ECtrains.

Old April 30th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Sim?o Mata

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Do you know where I can get the prices of the supplements for those trains?

Again, thanks for your help.
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Siebrand Tilma

[Crossposted to misc.transport.rail.europe]

(Sim?o Mata) schreef:

[...]

You can find some information on the official Interrail-site
http://www.interrailnet.com/, but the information is not always
up-to-date.

For nightttrains in and to Germany http://www.nachtzugreise.de/
(only in German) is a good starting point. With Interrail, you only
pay the supplement/Aufpreis. A seat will be about 3-10 euro, a berth
in a 6-person compartment about 15-25 euro.

In Denmark your pass is not valid on most private lines. It is valid
on Arriva and Vestbanen; the Nordjyske Jernbaner give you a discount.

Groeten, Siebrand

Old April 30th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Martin Stock

"Sim?o Mata" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
Hi,

I'm travelling this year with an InterRail pass to zones C and D.

I would like to see an updated list of all supllements for these
countrys, especially germany.

Covered are all local trains of DB (S-Bahn, RB, RE, IRE) plus IR, IC, EC and
D trains.
Also nearly all local trains operated by private companies, e.g.
http://www.vogtlandbahn.de
http://www.nordostseebahn.de
http://www.alexpress.de/
and a few dozens more.

You have to pay supplements if you want to use ICE trains or night trains
For the CityNightLine trains you can find them on their homepage, e.g. for a
seat
http://www.citynightline.ch/preise/ruhe.cfm
under Aufpreis (supplement) - bottom of the page.
Other night trains are cheaper than the CityNightLine trains.

The supplement for an ICE train is the price difference between a IC train
and the ICE train on the same route. Thus you can estimated the supplement
when comparing IC and ICE prices at the DB timetable. However sometimes
these trains fellow not exactly the same route. Supplements are 2 - 25 Euro
depending on the route.

Best is to plan with the DB timetable
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/english.html
and select "without ICE" instead of "all products". If you miss an IC train
don't want to wait 1 or 2 hours for the next, you could still jump on the
next ICE train and pay the supplement to the conductor.

If it's not just for the price, you can also ask there for the connection to
any tram or bus stop. Or under "advanced" just give the address. This
timetable covers virtually all public transport in Germany, but you'll get
prices only as long as the DB tarriff applies.

Not covered are
http://www.interconnex.com/ InterConnex Gera/Zittau - Berlin - Rostock/Binz
http://www.met.de/ Metropolitan Cologne - Hamburg
Not covered are also most museums or touristic railways
e.g.
http://www.harzbahn.de/ (Harzbahn)
http://www.zugspitze.de/zugspitze/index_en.php (Zugspitzbahn)

If in doubt with private railways: ask
(if you are going to use one of them at all - which is normally not too
likely)

I don't seem to find an updated list, I heard that supplements changed
this year!

Indeed. Until last year approx. supplements where given on the brouchure
about InterRail of DB
http://www.bahn.de/pv/view/mdb/image...e_april_04.pdf
but even they gave it up now. Only what is free and what discounts are
available elsewhere is now listed.

Thanks for your help.

Simão Mata

Old May 1st, 2004, 08:51 AM
Phil Richards

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:36:11 +0200 Martin Stock
said...

I'm travelling this year with an InterRail pass to zones C and D.

I would like to see an updated list of all supllements for these
countrys, especially germany.

Covered are all local trains of DB (S-Bahn, RB, RE, IRE) plus IR, IC, EC and
D trains.
Also nearly all local trains operated by private companies, e.g.
http://www.vogtlandbahn.de
http://www.nordostseebahn.de
http://www.alexpress.de/
and a few dozens more.

Any idea where a definitive list of what private German operators accept
Inter Rail (& other rail pass products like Euro Domino) plus FIP?

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:21 PM
Siebrand Tilma

"Martin Stock" schreef:

"Sim?o Mata" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. com...
[...]

How did you get this information? Did you contact all the companies,
or is there a list somewhere? I would be nice to know where my
Interrail pass is valid, for future trips to Germany.

Groeten, Siebrand

Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:03 AM
Lennart Petersen

"Martin Stock" schreef:

[...]

I've mailed some of them. One ,EVB ,answered as
"Thanks for your mail
Sorry,but the questioned passes are unfortunately not valid on EVB trains as
we do not get any money for those passes by Deutsche Bahn AG.
Anyway,we would be pleased to welcome you on our trains.
Best regards xxxx"
As you I would really like to see an official confirmed list of those
operators honoring rail passes in Germany.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:08 AM
David Eerdmans

Siebrand Tilma wrote in article

How did you get this information? Did you contact all the companies,
or is there a list somewhere? I would be nice to know where my
Interrail pass is valid, for future trips to Germany.

Indeed. I always found it amazing that you can buy a pass without anyone
telling you where it's valid. :-/

In my (limited) observation, I think that most "new" transport companies,
who took over the transport from DB Regio after a bidding process, often
accept InterRail (and DB tariffs); while "old" private railways often do
not. But I'm not sure wether this observation true fro all Germany.

Regards,
David

Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
tim

"David Eerdmans" wrote in message

Siebrand Tilma wrote in article

How did you get this information? Did you contact all the companies,
or is there a list somewhere? I would be nice to know where my
Interrail pass is valid, for future trips to Germany.

Indeed. I always found it amazing that you can buy a pass without anyone
telling you where it's valid. :-/

I think that this is the difference between theory and practice.

In theory there is a list (I was given one once) available to
purchasors of the card.

In practice the ticket sellers don't a have a supply of this list
to give to purchasors.

In my (limited) observation, I think that most "new" transport companies,
who took over the transport from DB Regio after a bidding process, often
accept InterRail (and DB tariffs); while "old" private railways often do
not. But I'm not sure wether this observation true fro all Germany.

This was my observation to. It seems to match the railways that
accept Lander and Happy weekend tickets. It could be that this
is an obligation of taking over those contracts. Not working this
way would would lead to anomalies where the 'privatised'
companies share tracks and routes with DB.

tim

Regards,
David