Western Australia: September or February?

Old March 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM
Frank Slootweg

Default Western Australia: September or February?

We are in the initial stages of planning our next trip to/in Oz, this
time to Western Australia. We will probably have about 4 weeks and will
be starting and ending in Perth.

Our first major decision is whether to go in September or in February.

According to our information, the maximum temperatures in September
will be about 20 degrees C in Perth, 17 in Albany and 22 in Kalgoorlie
(no info yet for further north). In February these numbers are 30, 24
and 31.

Our first draft route is Perth, up the coast to Karratha, down
through Newman, Meekatharra, Wiluna to Kalgoorlie, and, time-permitting,
down to Esperance, Albany and back to Perth.

We will be driving a 4WD campervan and enjoy nature, so we will visit
a number of (accessible) National Parks along the route.

We think that September may be too cool and probably also wetter (but
not really wet). Last time we were there from October 15 (Port Hedland)
through 31 (Esperance), so quite a bit later. Port Hedland to Perth
(October 26) was still OK, but the south-west (Yallingup, Pemberton and
(especially) Albany) was much cooler/colder and we had quite a bit of
rain in Albany.

So our current thinking is February (early February to Early March).
(Yes, we realize that this means we will be missing the wildflowers
again, but you can't win them all.)

Opinions? Suggestions? Etc..

Note that we don't like things to get crowded, but on the other hand
(nearly) no people at all for days is no fun either (we had that last
November on the Silver City Hwy, Sturt NP, Innamincka, Coongie Lakes,
Birdsville (Track), Oodnadatta (Track), Dalhousie Springs).

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:14 AM
Les Chandra

"Tom Johnstone" wrote in
:

"Raffi Balmanoukian"
a wrote in message
news:BC8327B8.222A9%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , Frank Slootweg
at lid wrote on 3/21/04 10:51 AM:

So our current thinking is February (early February to Early
March). (Yes, we realize that this means we will be missing the
wildflowers again, but you can't win them all.)

Frank, I've been in WA in February and that would be my suggestion
for

your
itin - Cap Le Grand, Esperance, etc. are magnificent then and Perth,
while warm, isn't stiflingly hot. Meeka etc. might be a tad
uncomfortable then, though. Kal is tolerable at either time.

Depends what Frank would find uncomfortable. The trip from Karratha
down to Kalgoorlie would be very hot at that time of the year - expect
max temps around 40 much of the time. But I agree that it's the
perfect time to see the SW. The whole south coast is magnificent
around then, although it's always possible to get some rain down that
way.

Perth is fun in Feb too. It's really a summer city - people will be
filling the sidewalk cafes/restaurants and beer gardens, and the beach
is great. Maybe hire a catameran on Perth water, or down near Penguin
Island in Rockingham. Go snorkelling off Rottnest Island. Lots to do.

-Tom

I wouldn't come to Perth in February, if this year is anything to go by.
Day after day in the high 30s, with 3 days around 40 deg (and power
restrictions meaning no air conditioners allowed). Also, if you are in
the city itself, the concrete effect means that it doesn't cool down much
at night. We are in the middle of another burst of 40 degree days right
now. September/October was fine.

BTW, I don't know where people get the idea that there is 'lots to do' in
Perth. I'd disagree. The cafe/restaurant/nightlife/shopping scene is
nothing compared to, say, Melbourne. The sand on the beaches is nice, but
that is about it for them (don't expect any other attractions). The
surrounding hills and countryside are nowhere near as pretty as Adelaide
or as spectacular as the Blue Mountains (Sydney).

There is a 2 page spread in Saturday's 'West Australian' (daily
newspaper) about why young people are leaving Perth for the eastern
states - basically it is dullsville.

Les

Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:40 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome back to Oz!

I don't want to tell you what is the better of the two times to come,
although I have my own preferences.

For climate statistics I suggest you look up
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...wa_names.shtml
You'll find that Newman for instance has an average maximum of 37.2 in
February. That would make any walking in Karijini NP awfully hot!
Similar temperatures are in vogue all over the area nborth of the Tropic of
Capricorn and inland south of that like Kalgoorlie.
As others have said the south coast is great in February. Maybe leave the
north and just fully explore the south, including Fitzgerald NP (need a 4WD
to do that properly).

Maybe when you have checked out the climate bit and have made a considered
decision you can ask more pointed questions.

I am sure there are many knowledgable people about WA on this newsgroup who
can give the right answers. :-) BTW don't expect them from me after 5 th
April as we are going to ther Netherlands and Canada for 6 months then.

Gerrit