New 5 Euro notes

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan[_2_]

Default New 5 Euro notes

On 14/05/2013 15:00, Tom P wrote:
On 05/14/2013 10:15 AM, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 09:48:45 +0200, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

Hands up who knew these were coming (and have now arrived)?

One hand up.
[Haven't seen them yet, though]

Me too on both

How long before Italy goes back to the Lira? I still have 600,000. :-)

I've got a 20 Schilling Austrian, and a couple of notes I kept as
souvenirs - the extremely beautiful 5 DM note, and the 50FF with the St
Exupery image. Too good as works of art to swap for a pile of boring
old bridges and windows.

Non-existant bridges too. A metaphor for the entire Euro ideology.
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

wrote:

Hands up who knew these were coming (and have now arrived)?

One hand up.
[Haven't seen them yet, though]

Me too on both

How long before Italy goes back to the Lira? I still have 600,000. :-)

I've got a 20 Schilling Austrian, and a couple of notes I kept as
souvenirs - the extremely beautiful 5 DM note, and the 50FF with the St
Exupery image. Too good as works of art to swap for a pile of boring
old bridges and windows.

but not DM500 of useless Lira, thanks to the Italian government
changing the final date when the Banca Italia would change them into
real money, with almost no warning.

Ouch.

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 05/13/2013 06:33 PM, tim...... wrote:
well they kept that quiet,

Hands up who knew these were coming (and have now arrived)?

tim

Saw the first one today.

Old May 15th, 2013, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim......

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 May 2013 18:27:33 +0200, Tom P wrote:

On 05/13/2013 06:33 PM, tim...... wrote:
well they kept that quiet,

Hands up who knew these were coming (and have now arrived)?

tim

Saw the first one today.

Forged or real? :-)

1 and 2 cent Euro coins are the next to go according to our local
newspaper.

as in go completely?

won't be missed, PITA

tim

Old May 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 5/15/2013 2:33 PM, tim...... wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 May 2013 18:27:33 +0200, Tom P wrote:

On 05/13/2013 06:33 PM, tim...... wrote:
well they kept that quiet,

Hands up who knew these were coming (and have now arrived)?

tim

Saw the first one today.

Forged or real? :-)

1 and 2 cent Euro coins are the next to go according to our local
newspaper.

as in go completely?

won't be missed, PITA

I agree with you entirely; tho' in my case, it would refer to the 1 and
5 cent US coins (pennies and nickels) but there is an amazing
sentimental attachment to them.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 05/15/2013 06:41 PM, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 18:27:33 +0200, Tom P wrote:

On 05/13/2013 06:33 PM, tim...... wrote:
well they kept that quiet,

Hands up who knew these were coming (and have now arrived)?

tim

Saw the first one today.

Forged or real? :-)

The cashier at the supermarket showed me one to look at and feel (the
banknote, that is). I offered to take it down to the bank and check if
it was genuine, but she declined ;=)

1 and 2 cent Euro coins are the next to go according to our local
newspaper.

Yep, I tip out the contents of my purse every few days and put all the
small change in a jar. Every few months when the jar gets too heavy to
carry I lug the whole lot down to the savings bank, they've got a
machine where you tip the stuff in, it goes chug chug chug and spits out
a receipt. It's amazing how much you can get together.

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:26 AM
newhotelus newhotelus is offline
Banned

Location: www.newhotelus.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim...... View Post
well they kept that quiet,

Hands up who knew these were coming (and have now arrived)?

tim
eating some food, drink and cigarette
Old May 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 5/15/2013 5:25 PM, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 22:16:22 +0200, Tom P wrote:

[...]

Keep an eye on any UK banknotes that you have. They seem to have built
in obsolescence.

I am against weighting down my pockets with coins and refuse to carry a
purse. I dump any coins I receive into a jar at night and take them to
my bank, which has a free counting machine, about once a month. I try to
use a credit card for most purchases.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan[_2_]

On 16/05/2013 13:59, James Silverton wrote:

I am against weighting down my pockets with coins and refuse to carry a
purse. I dump any coins I receive into a jar at night and take them to
my bank, which has a free counting machine, about once a month. I try to
use a credit card for most purchases.

Yes and with a cashback card I get back 1% on all purchase.