Ireland - Short Road Trip

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Mike

Default Ireland - Short Road Trip

Day One - Dublin to Waterford

We will be driving and leaving Dublin at 0900 and need to be at the
Waterford factory by 1530 (last tour starts at 1600) on a Sunday in July.
Any suggestions as to most interesting route and must see sights? any
suggestions as to a good lunch spot?

After the tour if I can still afford it we will do dinner. Any suggestions
as to where in Waterford?

Day two - Waterford to Cork

Any suggestions as to most interesting route and must see places or
attractions? Any suggestions as to a good lunch spot? How about a Dinner
recommendation in Cork or within about 30 minutes of Cork.

Day three - Cork to Shannon

We need to end up at our motel near Shannon Airport by 1730 or so. The day
is way too short to do it all. We decided to save the Ring drive for another
trip. Any suggestions as to must see places or attractions and most
interesting (based on our limited time) route?

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Dan Stephenson

In article DP4re.42866$x96.35047@attbi_s72, Mike
wrote:

Day One - Dublin to Waterford

We will be driving and leaving Dublin at 0900 and need to be at the
Waterford factory by 1530 (last tour starts at 1600) on a Sunday in July.
Any suggestions as to most interesting route and must see sights? any
suggestions as to a good lunch spot?

The drive through the Wicklow mountains is nice. There are monastic
ruins at Glendalough which are free, and pleasant if you like that sort
of scenic historical thing.

After the tour if I can still afford it we will do dinner. Any suggestions
as to where in Waterford?

Day two - Waterford to Cork

Any suggestions as to most interesting route and must see places or
attractions? Any suggestions as to a good lunch spot? How about a Dinner
recommendation in Cork or within about 30 minutes of Cork.

Day three - Cork to Shannon

We need to end up at our motel near Shannon Airport by 1730 or so. The day
is way too short to do it all. We decided to save the Ring drive for another
trip. Any suggestions as to must see places or attractions and most
interesting (based on our limited time) route?

If your hotel is reserved with a card you can arrive any time. At this
time of year you have lots of daylight. If you don't drive the Ring of
Kerry, I recommend driving in the Beara Penninsula. If you do drive
the Ring of Kerry, take the offshoot called the Skellig Ring. And if
you arrive at your motel at 10pm, so what.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Mike

wrote:

Day three - Cork to Shannon

We need to end up at our motel near Shannon Airport by 1730 or so. The day
is way too short to do it all. We decided to save the Ring drive for another
trip. Any suggestions as to must see places or attractions and most
interesting (based on our limited time) route?

If your hotel is reserved with a card you can arrive any time. At this
time of year you have lots of daylight. If you don't drive the Ring of
Kerry, I recommend driving in the Beara Penninsula. If you do drive
the Ring of Kerry, take the offshoot called the Skellig Ring. And if
you arrive at your motel at 10pm, so what.

We have pre paid dinner at Bunratty castle around 6:30 pm so we really
need to be there before then.

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:20 PM
tessabine

just got back from ireland and have to say the shannon area was my
favorite! if you have to be at bunratty castle anyway, why not spend the
afternoon in Ennis. we loved it, it's close, and a very small cute irish
town. or try ADARE which i didn't get to, but everyone says it's the most
picturesque town in all of ireland.

Old June 14th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Mike

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:20:42 -0400, "tessabine"
wrote:

just got back from ireland and have to say the shannon area was my
favorite! if you have to be at bunratty castle anyway, why not spend the
afternoon in Ennis. we loved it, it's close, and a very small cute irish
town. or try ADARE which i didn't get to, but everyone says it's the most
picturesque town in all of ireland.

Great suggestions. we were going to stay in Adare, but we have an
early flight out of SNN and wanted to be close by. Thanks for taking
the time to answer.
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Mike wrote:

Day two - Waterford to Cork

Any suggestions as to most interesting route and must see places or
attractions? Any suggestions as to a good lunch spot? How about a Dinner
recommendation in Cork or within about 30 minutes of Cork.

Kinsale has some very good restaurants and pubs - sorry I can't recall
the name of the one we were at - it may have been the Kinsale Yacht
Club - good music in the pub later on.

Sheila

Old June 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Marc J. LeClere

My two cents. This is an ambitious schedule for only three days. I did the
reverse, two years ago, from Shannon to Dublin (including the Ring of Kerry)
but then had the luxury of three days in Dublin to recover. The distance
does not look like much on the map, but it is a decidedly different driving
experience than here in the States. From Dublin to Waterford, I suggest
Tintern Abbey in New Ross.
After the Waterford tour (which I think is time well spent), I would
recommend pushing on to Lismore and staying at Buggy's - see their webpage
at http://www.lismore.com/ A charming place that remains one of our
memorable, serendipitous finds. Great food, nice accommodations, cozy bar,
...... Located on a country lane 'far from the madding crowd'. You would
then be well-positioned to drive into Cork the next day. Near Cork, I
recommend Cobh and its Heritage Centre. Avoid the Blarney Stone unless you
enjoy cultural kitsch. For the best Guinness pint in Dublin, go to John
Mulligan's. It surpasses the pint they pour at the Guinness Storehouse.
Enjoy your trip!

Old June 14th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Clohogue

wrote:

just got back from ireland and have to say the shannon area was my
favorite! if you have to be at bunratty castle anyway, why not spend the
afternoon in Ennis. we loved it, it's close, and a very small cute irish
town. or try ADARE which i didn't get to, but everyone says it's the most
picturesque town in all of ireland.

Great suggestions. we were going to stay in Adare, but we have an
early flight out of SNN and wanted to be close by. Thanks for taking
the time to answer.

For the Dublin to Waterford trip I would suggest Kilkenny. The drive from
Dublin to Waterford will take about 2.5 hours in total (N7 to start with,
then N9 to Waterford, 1.5 hours minimum to Kilkenny then just under a
further hour to Waterford, this is the most direct route ). Kilkenny is only
4 miles from the main Dublin/Waterford route and is a wonderful medieval
city, with a beautiful castle, gardens and lovely restaurants (I'm not a bit
biased am I? OK I live the-)See http://www.kilkenny.ie/ for some info on
the city. As you need to be in Waterford by 3.30pm I would not suggest going
too far off the main route or beaten track as though distances may seem
small here, the roads aren't great (now there's the understatement of the
year:-) and journey can be quite time consuming.

Old June 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Bill Lederer

Shannan Airport is a short drive from Bunratty castle. It's
unfortunate you didn't stay at one of the great B&B's right down the
street from the castle. It will take you a half day to tour the
"village" at the castle. Besides having a pint at Dirty Nellies.

Bill & Cathy