Family Vacation in Seattle tips?

Old August 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM
calberto22

Default Family Vacation in Seattle tips?

Hi all, we will be in Seattle for 4 days with our 5 year old boy. any
tips on fun things to do? my husband had suggested going to Mount
Rainier for a few days, renting a cabin and have fun exploring. i am
concerned the hikes will be too long for my son to hold his attention.
he loves "exploring" but not if he has to walk 5 miles! is this a good
park for kids? if not, do you have any fun suggestions for the area?
he loves to look for treasure, explore, find bugs, feed animals, etc.
i'd like something outdoors since it's nice this time of year over
there. we were in Victoria last year and LOVED it but we'd like to do
something different. Any tips on a fun vacation near seattle that a 5
year old boy would enjoy? thanks for any tips, Carla

Old August 7th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Keith W

"calberto22" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, we will be in Seattle for 4 days with our 5 year old boy. any
tips on fun things to do? my husband had suggested going to Mount
Rainier for a few days, renting a cabin and have fun exploring. i am
concerned the hikes will be too long for my son to hold his attention.
he loves "exploring" but not if he has to walk 5 miles! is this a good
park for kids?

FANTASTIC, there are lots of short hikes and amazing countryside.

if not, do you have any fun suggestions for the area?
he loves to look for treasure, explore, find bugs, feed animals, etc.
i'd like something outdoors since it's nice this time of year over
there.

Then a cabin sounds ideal. We stayed at one of the Jasmer's cabins
2 years ago and it was magical. Judging by the comments in the
vistors book we werent alone. The deer came right up to the
cabin to feed and there was lots of exploring and bug hunting
to be done

http://www.jasmers.com/

Keith

Old August 8th, 2005, 04:35 PM
PeterL

x-no-archive

calberto22 wrote:
Hi all, we will be in Seattle for 4 days with our 5 year old boy. any
tips on fun things to do? my husband had suggested going to Mount
Rainier for a few days, renting a cabin and have fun exploring. i am
concerned the hikes will be too long for my son to hold his attention.
he loves "exploring" but not if he has to walk 5 miles! is this a good
park for kids? if not, do you have any fun suggestions for the area?
he loves to look for treasure, explore, find bugs, feed animals, etc.
i'd like something outdoors since it's nice this time of year over
there. we were in Victoria last year and LOVED it but we'd like to do
something different. Any tips on a fun vacation near seattle that a 5
year old boy would enjoy? thanks for any tips, Carla

If you are going to be Seattle for 4 days how many days are you going
to visit Mt. Rainier. Yes it can be streneous for a 5 year old. There
are lots of exploration options in Seattle. Take ferries to a couple
of the islands. The ferry ride will be great fun for a 5 year old.

Old August 8th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Mimi

"calberto22" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, we will be in Seattle for 4 days with our 5 year old boy. any
tips on fun things to do? my husband had suggested going to Mount
Rainier for a few days, renting a cabin and have fun exploring. i am
concerned the hikes will be too long for my son to hold his attention.
he loves "exploring" but not if he has to walk 5 miles! is this a good
park for kids? if not, do you have any fun suggestions for the area?
he loves to look for treasure, explore, find bugs, feed animals, etc.
i'd like something outdoors since it's nice this time of year over
there. we were in Victoria last year and LOVED it but we'd like to do
something different. Any tips on a fun vacation near seattle that a 5
year old boy would enjoy? thanks for any tips, Carla

What time of the year will you be going to Mt. Rainier? It can start snowing
in September, and there is still lots of snow on the ground in early July.
Within that window of time, early August is my favorite time for the
mountain wildflowers. A day or two at a cabin would be enough for the
5-year-old, I think. In the southeast corner of the park there are 2
kid-friendly locations, (1) the Grove of the Patriarchs, big old trees a
short walk off the road, and (2) a nature walk to Silver Falls.

Back in Seattle, there's the zoo (activities:
http://www.zoo.org/educate/vstr_prgrms/pprograms.htm), the aquarium, the
Children's Museum and the Science Center at Seattle Center, the public
market, the beaches, the locks and the salmon ladder, the park at Camp Long
(see http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/E...t/camplong.htm). Somebody
else mentioned the ferries.

If you want to be outside Seattle, you might like to take a ferry to the San
Juan Islands. The biggest, San Juan Island, has 2 historic sites from the
Great Pig War between the US and Britain, kinda fun:
http://experiencewashington.com/Regi...106600_R7.html

Well, that's enough to get you started.

Marianne

Old September 18th, 2005, 02:09 AM
kharwood kharwood is offline
Member

I think Mt. Rainier would be fantastic. There is great hiking and wildflowers just behind Paradise Inn at the Paradise vistors center. We hiked there for two full days with a 3 year old. We stayed at Three Bears Lodge which is a family friendly cabin rental near Mt. Rainier. Their website is www.threebearslodge.net. They have a very kid friendly vacation lodge with toys, XBox, videos and even cribs etc. The hiking was the best though. We loved eating at the Wild Berry Restaraunt in Ashford.
Old September 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM
george

calberto22 wrote:
we will be in Seattle for 4 days with our 5 year old boy. any
tips on fun things to do? my husband had suggested going to Mount
Rainier for a few days, renting a cabin and have fun exploring.

Consider also going to the Olympic Peninsula. Your boy would probably
enjoy the beaches and rainforests. It could also be combined with a
ferry ride to get across the Sound.

George