Istanbul, Turkey - any good for Vegetarians?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:50 PM
Steltzjr

Default Istanbul, Turkey - any good for Vegetarians?

You're going to Istanbul but make it sound as if it's a third world country.
Sure there are poor there - the population is huge and many have moved in from
all over Anatolia. But many have money - and Istanbul is as least a second
world city if not higher.

The reason you'll find plenty of vegetables and fruit is that the Turks love
them. I lived in Istanbul for two years and some of my best memories concern
all the wonderful fruits that came in season in such vast quantities.

It's not like going to the U.K. or Germany - in Turkey you'll have no trouble
finding veggies. I doubt if any other country has as many ways of cooking
eggplants.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Bill Moore

In article ,
Steltzjr wrote:
You're going to Istanbul but make it sound as if it's a third world country.
Sure there are poor there - the population is huge and many have moved in from
all over Anatolia. But many have money - and Istanbul is as least a second
world city if not higher.

You mean they're communists? ;-)
Old September 3rd, 2004, 11:57 PM
Richard Cline

In article ,
(Steltzjr) wrote:

We just returned from three weeks in Turkey. I agree that Turkey is a
very easy country to find good food. If you stay in the European side
of the city (close to the scenic areas) you will find numerous street
restaurants and/or food stands. The Asian side of Istanbul is more of a
business district with large hotels and larger gaps between services.

The restaurant food is good and the variety is wide. Although I did not
seek out vegetarian food, there appeared to be a good selection. They
tend to minimize the meat as it is expensive to produce.

It is good to carry some immodium with you. Chances are you will never
need it but being prepared is wise.

You need to use common sense in eating fresh fruits by washing them.
The apples and peaches we purchased were some of the largest I have ever
seen. The tap water is supposed to be OK to drink but everybody drinks
bottled water. Buy the gallon sized containers of water.

Dick

Old September 4th, 2004, 01:58 AM
JX Bardant

"Steltzjr" a écrit dans le message de
You're going to Istanbul but make it sound as if it's a third world

country.
Sure there are poor there - the population is huge and many have moved in

from
all over Anatolia. But many have money - and Istanbul is as least a second
world city if not higher.

Figures are about Isparta, not Istanbul,but you'll get the idea about meat
and fish consumption...

http://www.ntvmsnbc.com/news/241822.asp?cp1=1

Consumption of red meat / white meat / fish

Every day 2.1% / 3.2 % / 0.8%
Every 3 days 5.6% / 12.3% / 3.2%
Every week 18.8% / 37.1% / 21.6%
Every 2 weeks 12.8% / 18.1% / NA
Every month 23.7% / 23.7% / 21.9%
Kurban bayrami 21.7% / NA / NA
Never 10.3% / 4.2% / 12.3%

(Kurban bayrami is a yearly holiday during which a sheep is sacrificed).