Adelaide to Melbourne...thursday 16th dec 2004

Old October 5th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Brizze

Default Adelaide to Melbourne...thursday 16th dec 2004

G'day all

Could any one please tell me the best way to get from Adelaide to Melbourne
on thursday 16th in max 2 days.
I've surfed the net and found 2 or 3 travel agencies that does this, but
because of not updated sites i have also found, that this is not possible
afterall
So now im asking you natives if you know of any such travel agency(with
updated sites who could help me. Unless some of you give me a brilliant
idea i belive we will rent a car for the two days......because i would very
much like to see the Great Ocean Road.
And what about The Grampians, could any one tell me what exactly this place
is? and is it possible to see it on your own, the national park ect...

Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Brian

Old October 5th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Peter

In article , Brizze
says...
G'day all

Could any one please tell me the best way to get from Adelaide to Melbourne
on thursday 16th in max 2 days.
I've surfed the net and found 2 or 3 travel agencies that does this, but
because of not updated sites i have also found, that this is not possible
afterall
So now im asking you natives if you know of any such travel agency(with
updated sites who could help me. Unless some of you give me a brilliant
idea i belive we will rent a car for the two days......because i would very
much like to see the Great Ocean Road.
And what about The Grampians, could any one tell me what exactly this place
is? and is it possible to see it on your own, the national park ect...

I've driven from Melbourne to Adelaide in two leisurely days along the
coast, stopping at the various attractions, so presumably the reverse is
likewise practicable, and indeed, I can thoroughly recommend it as a
trip.

The Grampians are an area of national park and mountains in the middle
of Victoria. I haven't been there, but I haven't heard anything but
glowing reports.

Pete, positively Victorian
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Alan

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:30:16 +0200, "Brizze" wrote:

G'day all

Could any one please tell me the best way to get from Adelaide to Melbourne
on thursday 16th in max 2 days.
I've surfed the net and found 2 or 3 travel agencies that does this, but
because of not updated sites i have also found, that this is not possible
afterall
So now im asking you natives if you know of any such travel agency(with
updated sites who could help me. Unless some of you give me a brilliant
idea i belive we will rent a car for the two days......because i would very
much like to see the Great Ocean Road.
And what about The Grampians, could any one tell me what exactly this place
is? and is it possible to see it on your own, the national park ect...

Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Brian

The Grampians are a range of (high by our standards and low by everyone
else's standards:-) hills in NW Victoria. Look at your map - west of
Ararat. Interesting sights and walks, but the sort of place you want to
spend a few days to wander in the bush, not to rush through en-route to
Melbourne.

If you are driving, go via Mt Gambier to see the Blue Lake, then the
coast via Nelson and stay overnight in Warrnambool. That's easily
achievable in a relaxed day, and gives you a full day to drive via the
great Ocean Road to Melbourne the following day. I'd drop in on the
Coorong if there was time before Mt Gambier, but it sounds like you're a
bit pushed for that. You could probably include a deviation via Goolwa
to see Lake Alexandrina and the Murray Mouth.

I can't comment on buses, and the train goes via the inland, nowhere
near the coast.

Cheers, Alan
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Brizze

Thanks, Peter and Alan, for your promt answers.

And Alan, i can tell you that The Grampians will be even higher by Danish
standards, since the highest point in Denmark is just shy of 150 meters

Cheers,
Brian

news

Old October 5th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Peter

In article , Brizze
says...
Thanks, Peter and Alan, for your promt answers.

And Alan, i can tell you that The Grampians will be even higher by Danish
standards, since the highest point in Denmark is just shy of 150 meters

That'd be the Lego Tower just outside Copenhagen, then?

Pete
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Brizze

Well, no not quite.....the Lego park, with the lego tower is on the
penninsula Jylland (Jutland) about 320Km west of Copenhagen
Maybe in Oz 320Km is "just outside" but in Denmark it's the opposite end of
the country

But we have a small, very small "mountain" i guess its a hill, called
Himmelbjerget(skymountain) you can laugh! it's "peak" ,which is not covered
with snow , is ca. 146meters above waterlevel. Its also to be found in
Jylland close to a town called Silkeborg.

Brian

"Peter" skrev i en meddelelse
T...
In article , Brizze
says...

Old October 5th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Alan

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:44:10 +0200, "Brizze" wrote:

Well, no not quite.....the Lego park, with the lego tower is on the
penninsula Jylland (Jutland) about 320Km west of Copenhagen
Maybe in Oz 320Km is "just outside" but in Denmark it's the opposite end of
the country

But we have a small, very small "mountain" i guess its a hill, called
Himmelbjerget(skymountain) you can laugh! it's "peak" ,which is not covered
with snow , is ca. 146meters above waterlevel. Its also to be found in
Jylland close to a town called Silkeborg.

Brian

Hi Brian

I was in Switzerland last year, so I felt it might be a little
presumptuous to call the Grampians "high". Our highest peak doesn't
reach 2500m (Kosciusko).

Your problem is time. Places like the Grampians deserve at least a few
hours of just wandering around in the bush in no particular hurry.

By the way, if you do take the coast road, we met a very drunk (on
eucalyptus) large Koala in the Mt Richmond National Park (20 km short of
Portland) last year. Can't guarantee she'll still be there, and it's a
long deviation. Take the little side tracks if you get the time, like
the back roads to Cape Nelson or Cape Bridgewater (with some fascinating
hillside cave formations) near Portland. Or Tower Hill near Koroit, or
Koroit itself, a sleepy little town. Or the Glenelg national Park,
upstream on the Glenelg river from Nelson on the SA/Vic border.

But I'm different, I wander a bit with no particular place to go and
without much of a daily agenda. Same way I wandered Europe. I allow a
week or two to get somewhere, maybe with a deadline at the finish, but
no specific places in between. Then, if it's interesting, I hang around
an extra day or two. If it's not, wander on. In fact, in mid-December,
you're likely to pass me somewhere on the roads as you approach
Melbourne:-)

Cheers, Alan
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Brizze

Hi Alan,

Yeah i know all about the Switz alps i visited them 5 years ago. Hiked on
glaciers and climbed a couple of small peaks.

To me its not about the hight though, but all about the view. Which is also
true with your Blue Mountains, which i saw in 2000 and it was a magnificent
sight. So i certainly would'nt want to rush through The Grampians, what i
would do was to maybe drive through them and get a more beautiful journey
that way.
And you are right "time is our problem" my wife and i only have a month, and
since we only had the opportunity to go in december its even more important
that we plan everything because of the big summervacation in Oz, so i've
heard.
Ofcourse it would be ideal to go where we want to go at a more relaxed pace
but unfortunately we dont have the time, and we dont want to miss out on
something because we did'nt book "well in advance" as they say.
also this will be the last vacation before we have kids, so we want to make
the best of it

We'll be looking out for you as we approach Melbourne
Brian

news