CA health care/insurance for non-citizens?

Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,talk.politics.medicine,rec.travel.usa-canada,can.general
Liam[_2_]

Default CA health care/insurance for non-citizens?

I'll be attending a university in Ontario next year, with my wife and
sch00l age daughter.
As I understand it, as a student I will have basic health coverage as
part of my tuition, or at least have to pay $750 a year for basic
coverage.
I also understand that as soon as my wife gets work she'll be covered
for social health care.
Questions:

1. What about our daughter? Are there any programs that will cover
her, or will he have to buy private insurance for her as long as we're
there?

2. My wife has a chronic condition that requires regular meds and
doctor visits; will this disqualify her from being able to use the
social healthcare regardless of employment?

3. (More a US insurance question) When we return to the U.S. after I
graduate, will she be considered as having been uninsured and will
need to pay the higher rates and uninsured waiting period before
coverage for pre-existing conditions are covered?

Thanks for any feedback or info!
Liam
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,talk.politics.medicine,rec.travel.usa-canada,can.general
James Silverton[_2_]

Liam wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:40:23 -0700 (PDT):

1. What about our daughter? Are there any programs that will
cover her, or will he have to buy private insurance for her as
long as we're there?

2. My wife has a chronic condition that requires regular meds
and doctor visits; will this disqualify her from being able to
use the social healthcare regardless of employment?

3. (More a US insurance question) When we return to the U.S.
after I graduate, will she be considered as having been
uninsured and will need to pay the higher rates and uninsured
waiting period before coverage for pre-existing conditions are
covered?

Careful! "CA" is not an abbreviation for Canada but for California.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,talk.politics.medicine,rec.travel.usa-canada,can.general
Liam[_2_]

On Oct 3, 3:51*pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
*Liam *wrote *on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:40:23 -0700 (PDT):

1. What about our daughter? Are there any programs that will
cover her, or will he have to buy private insurance for her as
long as we're there?
2. My wife has a chronic condition that requires regular meds
and doctor visits; will this disqualify her from being able to
use the social healthcare regardless of employment?
3. (More a US insurance question) When we return to the U.S.
after I graduate, will she be considered as having been
uninsured and will need to pay the higher rates and uninsured
waiting period before coverage for pre-existing conditions are
covered?

Careful! "CA" is not an abbreviation for Canada but for California.

With the exception of Web URLs. i.e.: amazon.ca
But I get your point. Thanks.
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada
S P Arif Sahari Wibowo

Subject: CA health care/insurance for non-citizens?

wrote:
Careful! "CA" is not an abbreviation for Canada but for
California.

With the exception of Web URLs. i.e.: amazon.ca

But it is in lower case, though. :-) Personally I will use lower
case or the 3 letters code (CAN for Canada) when I want signify
a country with shorter letter code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

--
(stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
_____ _____ _____ _____

Disclaimer: IANAL, IANALP, IANAMD, IANAMP, IANAAP
my statements - if any - should be treated as such.
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada
S P Arif Sahari Wibowo

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Liam wrote:
As I understand it, as a student I will have basic health
coverage as part of my tuition, or at least have to pay $750 a
year for basic coverage.

I don't think it is part of the tuition, so will be the second
one. You will actually be required to have a health coverage.

I also understand that as soon as my wife gets work she'll be
covered for social health care.

Not necessarily.

Being a spouse of an international student may make her eligible
to change her status to be under an open (unrestricted) work
permit, which allow her to work for any employer anytime in the
permit validity duration; however in Ontario does not give her
eligibility to provincial health care (OHIP).

Alternatively a employer sponsored work permit will give her
eligibility to provincial health care (OHIP), but the employer
need to sponsor her, including possible HRSDC approval (require
the employer prove no Canadian or PR can take the job), months
of processing, and restriction that she can only work for that
employer.

Note that this provincial health coverage limitation is a
specific Ontario issue. Other provinces may not have that
limitation.

1. What about our daughter?

Generally, the health plan which you get to fulfill the
requirement of being international student will have plan for
spouse and dependent children as well. Of course you need to pay
more.

2. My wife has a chronic condition that requires regular meds
and doctor visits; will this disqualify her from being able to
use the social healthcare regardless of employment?

Preexisting condition will not affect provincial health plan
(such as OHIP) eligibility.

I don't think it will affect eligibility for standard health
plan for international student, either. But I think you should
direct the question to the specific plan provider.

Old October 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,talk.politics.medicine,rec.travel.usa-canada,can.general
Canuck57[_2_]

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Liam wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:40:23 -0700 (PDT):

1. What about our daughter? Are there any programs that will
cover her, or will he have to buy private insurance for her as
long as we're there?

2. My wife has a chronic condition that requires regular meds and doctor
visits; will this disqualify her from being able to
use the social healthcare regardless of employment?

3. (More a US insurance question) When we return to the U.S.
after I graduate, will she be considered as having been
uninsured and will need to pay the higher rates and uninsured waiting
period before coverage for pre-existing conditions are
covered?

Careful! "CA" is not an abbreviation for Canada but for California.

So google.ca is California?

LOL.

CA is an abreviation for both, as a country it belongs to Canada, as a US
state it is Califonia. Maryland is close enough to the border you know we
don't live in igloos in July either.

Old October 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,talk.politics.medicine,rec.travel.usa-canada,can.general
Jim Humphries

TO which I can only add - AMEN

--
Jim Humphries,
Former Visa Officer
"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article
,
Liam wrote:

I'll be attending a university in Ontario next year, with my wife and
sch00l age daughter.
As I understand it, as a student I will have basic health coverage as
part of my tuition, or at least have to pay $750 a year for basic
coverage.
I also understand that as soon as my wife gets work she'll be covered
for social health care.
Questions:

Rather then going by the advise of total strangers on a travel-related
newsgroup, call the university and ask them. Call the medical insurance
authorities in Ontario too and ask them. Good luck.

Old October 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,talk.politics.medicine,rec.travel.usa-canada,can.general
Dave Smith

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,
Liam wrote:

I'll be attending a university in Ontario next year, with my wife and
sch00l age daughter.
As I understand it, as a student I will have basic health coverage as
part of my tuition, or at least have to pay $750 a year for basic
coverage.
I also understand that as soon as my wife gets work she'll be covered
for social health care.
Questions:

Rather then going by the advise of total strangers on a travel-related
newsgroup, call the university and ask them. Call the medical insurance
authorities in Ontario too and ask them. Good luck.

It is the Ontario Health Insurance Program...... OHIP.
Old October 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,talk.politics.medicine,rec.travel.usa-canada,can.general
James Silverton[_2_]

Canuck57 wrote on Sun, 5 Oct 2008 09:32:09 -0600:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
Liam wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:40:23 -0700 (PDT):

1. What about our daughter? Are there any programs that will
cover her, or will he have to buy private insurance for her as long
as we're there?

2. My wife has a chronic condition that requires regular
meds and doctor visits; will this disqualify her from being able to
use the social healthcare regardless of employment?

3. (More a US insurance question) When we return to the U.S.
after I graduate, will she be considered as having been
uninsured and will need to pay the higher rates and
uninsured waiting period before coverage for pre-existing
conditions are covered?

Careful! "CA" is not an abbreviation for Canada but for
California.

So google.ca is California?

Written lower case as ".ca" it's an Internet extension. I don't know of
any other use where CA would be understood as any thing but an
abbreviation for California. I did not want to raise the hackles of
umbrageous Canadians but was simply trying to avoid confusion.

For proud Canadians, California's population is slightly greater than
that of Canada.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old October 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM posted to misc.immigration.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada
Rudy[_1_]

For proud Canadians, California's population is slightly greater than
that of Canada.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Thats all fine but note that:

1.ALL Canadians have medical insurance and,
2. we aren't asking 'dad' for a $ 7 BILLION advance on our allowance.