skype

Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
me@home

Default skype

Does anyone remember if they have skype installed on computers on HAL
ships.Looking for a cheap alternative to phones. TIA
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

me@home wrote:
Does anyone remember if they have skype installed on computers on HAL
ships.Looking for a cheap alternative to phones. TIA

They don't. No way they would want you to have a cheap alternative to a
service they sell.

--
Charles
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Bill wrote:

And I suspect that they block the port if you try to use it on your
own machine. I've heard that other lines do.

I heard that but I managed to make two Skype calls from the Skype iPhone
App over HAL Wi Fi while at sea on the Veendam. I was surprised. Not
sure if the cruise lines block it or if there might usually not be
enough bandwidth and I was lucky.

--
Charles
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 10/3/2010 5:45 PM, Charles wrote:
wrote:

And I suspect that they block the port if you try to use it on your
own machine. I've heard that other lines do.

I heard that but I managed to make two Skype calls from the Skype iPhone
App over HAL Wi Fi while at sea on the Veendam. I was surprised. Not
sure if the cruise lines block it or if there might usually not be
enough bandwidth and I was lucky.

Dunno, I was told that by some of the Royal Caribbean Singers and
Dancers who I sat next to at a free Wifi hotspot at one of the ports on
our Southern Caribbean trip a couple of years ago.

Bill
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Bill
wrote:

Dunno, I was told that by some of the Royal Caribbean Singers and
Dancers who I sat next to at a free Wifi hotspot at one of the ports on
our Southern Caribbean trip a couple of years ago.

I have been told that too. It is reasonable to assume like the singers
and dancers that they would block Skype. Don't know if I was just lucky
or not on the HAL Veendam. Possibly there was a lapse and they left it
unblocked. The only other ship I tried to make a Skype call on was the
Crown Princess last year. The phone number I was calling would actually
ring which sounds like the port was not blocked but then there was some
kind of failure with the connection and the call ended.

--
Charles
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joe C

We tried skype on NCL, it was sporadic at best. I believe there was not
enough bandwidth.

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Michael Bednarek

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 17:25:18 -0400, Bill wrote in rec.travel.cruises:

On 10/3/2010 3:06 PM, Charles wrote:
me@homescoates@... wrote:
Does anyone remember if they have skype installed on computers on HAL
ships.Looking for a cheap alternative to phones. TIA

They don't. No way they would want you to have a cheap alternative to a
service they sell.

And I suspect that they block the port if you try to use it on your own
machine. I've heard that other lines do.

Skype is geared to use ports 80 or 443 when no other ports are
available; those always are.