emigrating to canada

Old February 6th, 2004, 12:58 AM
iaink

Default emigrating to canada

Originally posted by Su
Thanks, Allan Meltzer and

iaink, just for info we are thinking of
emigrating under the investor

class, but are in two minds whether to
go for the entrepeneur class as

we both own 5 businesses between us.
The only problem with both of

these are that as an investor, it ties a
fair amount of money up

within the Canadian government and as an
entrepeneur it would mean we

have to turnover so much within a year.
This wouldn't be a problem as

2 out of the 5 we businesses we have do
nearly a million each, but if

we have to work our nuts off to reach a
target, we might as well stay

in England and let it all go to the
legal robber, oops, I mean Mr Tax

man over here!

We would like to buy a property and turn it into a

guest house, as
someone else as already suggested, and as I am a

personal tax
advisor/bookkeeper and Administrator I would like to

offer a business
service to all guests staying on business trips. How

do you think
this would do?

Just a couple of
thoughts....

Canada doesnt exactly have a reputation as a tax
haven...look into how much you are likely to have to fork over here
before you jump from the frying pan to the fire.

Your accounting
experience will not be worth much if it is not in the Canadian arena...
should look into licensing requirements for what you are proposing to
do. You may have to take additional exams etc, which it sounds like you
might not have time for at first if you are trying to get a business up
and running.

Don't underestimate the winter, if you think 63F is cold,
you aint seen nothing yet. Its been -20 or below for the last month,
and this is near lake ontario. at -20, doesnt matter if that is F or C.
Too cold to go out and enjoy the sunshine, unless you want to risk
frostbite with the windchill. I still prefer it to the winter rain in
the UK though, even if you dont have to shovel rain

Iain

Old February 6th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Mike from Ottawa

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 00:58:39 +0000, iaink
wrote:

snip
Don't underestimate the winter, if you think 63F is cold,
you aint seen nothing yet. Its been -20 or below for the last month,
and this is near lake ontario. at -20, doesnt matter if that is F or C.
Too cold to go out and enjoy the sunshine, unless you want to risk
frostbite with the windchill. I still prefer it to the winter rain in
the UK though, even if you dont have to shovel rain

Iain

It depends -- on what you do during the winter, on how your body
thermostat is set, etc.

I was playing outdoor shinny (ice hockey) 4 weeks ago when it was
about -30 C, and even lower with the wind chill. We lasted an hour,
then went for beer and wings. We've formed a Wednesday Night Hockey
League at work, for all who want to go down the street to the local
outdoor rink and play some shinny. We have 1 Israeli, 1 Romanian, and
a bunch of Canucks of varying skill levels. It's been a blast. Wings
and beer afterwards, as per our charter.

If you can keep active during the winter, it really isn't that bad.
Skiing, of all flavours, skating, hockey, snowshoeing, winter camping,
etc can all make the winter speed by. If you're more sedate or for a
change of pace, you can make trips to local or nearby cities to stay
in fancy hotels and do some shopping.

---
Mike from Ottawa
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:00 PM
iaink

Originally posted by Mike From Ottawa
On Fri, 06 Feb

2004 00:58:39 +0000, iaink
wrote:

snip

[...]

I enjoy XC skiing in the winter too, but once it
gets down to -20, thats it, I'm staying indoors.

How many Brits do you
know who come over and are able to skate well enough to play Hockey? I
was a pretty good field hockey player in the UK, and learned to skate
when I came over, but there is no way I am close to playing Hockey here
at any level...especially when its -30 Brrrrr!.

I guess if you are
used to it, then its OK, but by UK standards it is a nasty shock, at
least at first.

Iain

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Mike from Ottawa

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:00:26 +0000, iaink
wrote:

snip
I enjoy XC skiing in the winter too, but once it
gets down to -20, thats it, I'm staying indoors.

Sure, your tolerance levels may not be the same as the next guy's. It
also depends on the humidity of the air and presence/absence of wind
chill. A cold -20 C with no wind chill and low humidity can actually
seem "warmer" than a -5 C with high humidity and a stiff breeze.

How many Brits do you
know who come over and are able to skate well enough to play Hockey? I
was a pretty good field hockey player in the UK, and learned to skate
when I came over, but there is no way I am close to playing Hockey here
at any level...especially when its -30 Brrrrr!.

You don't need to play hockey; you just need the desire to give
skating a try. Most Canadian cities offer outdoor rinks, for both
hockey and recreational skating. Ottawa has a 6 km stretch of the
Rideau Canal that's used for recreational skating during the winter
(no hockey).

I mentioned winter camping, although that's just not for me. I'm just
trying to say that folks have to find something they like to do during
the winter, even if it's indoor sports (bowling, etc). Many cities
offer indoor golfing using computerised screens, and I know of several
pubs that offer darts. I play badminton at a local school -- it costs
about $20 and lasts almost for the duration of school (Sept-March).

I guess if you are
used to it, then its OK, but by UK standards it is a nasty shock, at
least at first.

I know some Brits are used to scuba diving in the frigid waters around
the Isles. I've been to shops in Edinburgh during November, and the
damp made everything very chilly -- I was wearing a ski jacket and
still felt cold, while the shop assistants were in short sleeves.
Maybe it was the whiskey (i.e., their use of it, and my need for it).
;o)

---
Mike from Ottawa