Internet access via hotel line

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Alexander Kluge

Default Internet access via hotel line

Frst, I apologize if this is a FAQ. As the majority of you is american
and you obviously have internet access, you are the experts:
Local calls are free in the US and most hotels pass this through-they
offer free local calls. If you want to access the internet from the
hotel line, how are you doing this?
Do you just dial your provider number (but the provider will charge the
hotel days after you left it)?
Is there a "local call" ISP?
A short-term ISP-contract (netzero uses a proprietary dial-in software
which I detest).

Any other tips?

Thanks
Alexander

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Doug McClure

I think most nationwide ISP's will have local numbers you can call
(like AOL, MSN, Earthlink, etc.).

Some hotels are offering high-speed connections (DSL or cable). For
example, I stayed at a Hilton and you would just plug into their RJ
plug. Furthermore, you would get charged $10 or so for your entire
hotel stay, no matter how much (or how little) you used the
connection.

Many US libraries have free Internet access (for 15-30-60 minutes at a
time), shops like Kinko's have paid short-term access, and there are
more and more wireless connections, some free (isn't Starbucks trying
this?).

DKM

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:17:01 +0100, "Alexander Kluge"
wrote:

Frst, I apologize if this is a FAQ. As the majority of you is american
and you obviously have internet access, you are the experts:
Local calls are free in the US and most hotels pass this through-they
offer free local calls. If you want to access the internet from the
hotel line, how are you doing this?
Do you just dial your provider number (but the provider will charge the
hotel days after you left it)?
Is there a "local call" ISP?
A short-term ISP-contract (netzero uses a proprietary dial-in software
which I detest).

Any other tips?

Thanks
Alexander

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example .]
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Alexander Kluge"

Local calls are free in the US and most hotels pass this through-they
offer free local calls. If you want to access the internet from the
hotel line, how are you doing this?

Some hotels will charge you a small fee for local calls, say $1 per call, while
many will not. One hotel we stayed at had free calls up to 30 minutes, then a
large fee kicked in. Ask at the desk ahead of time.

With an account on, say, AOL there is no problem finding local numbers when I
travel to mid-sized or larger cities, you just log on to AOL and ask for
numbers in a given area code. However for smaller towns sometimes the calls
will be long-distance so you have to be careful or you'll end up with
unexpected charges. For example, we were able to find local access in most
small Colorado towns last year while photographing for two weeks but in Aspen
we thought we were making a local call but were billed about $30 extra since
the calls were actually long-distance to a nearby town.

So basically you can get access with the larger on-line services in many if not
most cities, but check with the hotel to see if local calls are free or have a
nominal charge, and make sure the actual connect call to the service is a local
call and you'll be OK.

Do you just dial your provider number (but the provider will charge the
hotel days after you left it)?

Different numbers for different locations.

Is there a "local call" ISP?

Most of the time, depending on the size of the town and how popular your
service is.

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Peri

Alexander Kluge wrote:

Is there a "local call" ISP?
A short-term ISP-contract (netzero uses a proprietary dial-in software
which I detest).

Any other tips?

Alexander, AOL (which I would never recommend otherwise) offers a "light usage"
plan for $4.95 a month, which gives you three hours of connect time. There's a
$2.50 per hour fee for additional hours, but generally, if you log on and
download your e-mail, you should be finished in no time. Read it offline, write
your responses, and log back on to send.

There are local AOL numbers just about everywhere, so if local calls are free,
this is a very effective and inexpensive way to go. Many of us with cable
connections/ISPs also find it's not a bad idea to have some sort of dial-up backup.

~ Peri

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Brian K

I've read through this thread and there's a lot of good advice here.
However, there is one key factor that should not be overlooked. If you
have a dial-up modem attached to your computer, don't assume you can
just unplug the hotel's phone and jack in. Many hotels use phone
systems that are incompatible with dial-up modems. If you jack-in you
will fry your modem. Always ask about dial-up connections before you
reserve and again upon check-in. If your room has a jack labeled data
port this may be ok to use. But ask before you plug-in and power up.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:56 PM
DS

great suggestions Doug... and there are Kinko's stores in virtually every
city ---

Also, many hotels (full-service or newer limited service properties) will
have a business center with the computers hooked up and ready to go. The
service is usually free when you are staying at the hotel and you use your
room key to access the area. When you are booking, ask about the amenities
offered.

Another hotel tip when coming to the US is 'long-term-stay' properties.
Most of these properties are new and the rooms have full kitchens.
They accept one- night reservations and often for a good price.
(i.e. Detroit MI / new long-term-stay hotel can be as low as $60-80 / night
where a comparable regular hotel is over $100).

-Dawn

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Marie

If your laptop is Wi-Fi enabled there are a lot of options. Here is a
link to find areas in advance.
http://pcworld.jiwire.com/index.htm

---

Old March 24th, 2004, 06:19 PM
JamesStep

If you want to access the internet from the
hotel line, how are you doing this?

Basically there are 2 ways to access the internet from your
hotel room...

1) Some hotels now have high-speed access built into the
rooms; you just plug your laptop computer into a special data
jack (usually it's on the phone) and you'll instantly have high-speed
access. The hotel will probably add a fee to your bill if you want
this feature turned on, though, but it can be very convenient.
You tend to find this feature mostly at hotels that are higher
priced or that cater to business travellers.

2) You could sign up yourself with an Internet Service Provider
(ISP). You pay them a monthly fee and in exchange they'll
give you access to the Internet. At your hotel you plug your
laptop computer into the phone jack and have your modem
call the ISP's access number.
Make sure that the ISP has an access number that's a local
call in the city where you'll be staying; otherwise the hotel will
add a fee for a long-distance call. (Some hotels also charge
for local calls; be sure to ask.) Most big ISPs such as AOL
have access numbers all over the country.
I've heard that the phone equipment at some hotels makes it
difficult to access the internet. I don't know if that's true as
I don't travel with a laptop, but it probably wouldn't hurt to
check with the hotel when making your reservation.

AOL...offers a "light usage" plan for $4.95 a month...

I think AOL has a free introductory offer in which your first
month is free. So if your trip to the U.S. if for less than a month,
it shouldn't cost you anything at all if you join AOL and then quit
before your free trial is up.

However, for some reason I'm thinking that you have to have a
U.S. billing address to sign up for AOL in the U.S. I might be
wrong, but if I'm not you could always have a friend in the U.S.
open a temporary account for you.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Peter L

"Alexander Kluge" wrote in
message ...
Frst, I apologize if this is a FAQ. As the majority of you is american
and you obviously have internet access, you are the experts:
Local calls are free in the US and most hotels pass this through-they
offer free local calls. If you want to access the internet from the
hotel line, how are you doing this?

If the hotel offers free local calls, then you can call the ISP's local
number. The bigger question is can you plug your computer into the hotel's
phone line.