Travelling from USA to Canada back to USA any problems

Old March 25th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Alan Pollock

Default Travelling from USA to Canada back to USA any problems

gman99 wrote:

I'm UK citizen..

Hope you're white and do not have any ties to the middle east....recently a
Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport was travelling back to Canada via
the US, he was deported to Syria although he was / is a Canadian citizen.
He was promptly tortured by the Syrians...took almost a year to get back to
Canada.

Was it the RCMP or CSIS that alerted the US authorities to his probable
terrorist links? Nex
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:17:48 -0000, "Ben Organ"
wrote:

Would I need to let the border control know of the places I intend to stay?

They may ask but they don't generally care even if they do ask.

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Ben Organ" wrote:

I will be travelling from San Francisco north to Portland, Seattle, into
Vancouver, round the Canadian Rockies for 2 weeks, then train across to
Toronto, to Montreal, then back into USA to New York and finally flying down
to Houston.

The whole trip lasts 70 days

Am I likely to encounter any problems re. VISAs, immigration etc since I am
leaving the US and then re-entering a few weeks later?

That depends. Which nation's passport do you carry?
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Ben Organ" wrote:

"gman99" wrote in message
"Ben Organ" wrote:
I will be travelling from San Francisco north to Portland, Seattle, into
Vancouver, round the Canadian Rockies for 2 weeks, then train across to
Toronto, to Montreal, then back into USA to New York and finally flying
down to Houston.

The whole trip lasts 70 days

Am I likely to encounter any problems re. VISAs, immigration etc since I
am leaving the US and then re-entering a few weeks later?

Regards

You don't need anything except a valid ID to cross the border. A passport
is a good idea though. No visa's required (if you are a US citizen). If
you're not a US citizen you might be deported to Syria or anywhere else

for
that matter (and that's before you get to Canada)...

I'm UK citizen..

In which case, you should have no problem.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Ben Organ

"Ben Organ" wrote in message
I will be travelling from San Francisco north to Portland, Seattle,

into
Vancouver, round the Canadian Rockies for 2 weeks, then train across

Toronto, to Montreal, then back into USA to New York and finally

flying
down
to Houston.

The whole trip lasts 70 days

Am I likely to encounter any problems re. VISAs, immigration etc

since
am
leaving the US and then re-entering a few weeks later?

No, as along as you are within the 90 days permitted by the visa

waiver
form
you'll be OK. Do NOT hand in the Green stub when you first cross
in to Canada, you'll need it to get back in to the US

What Green stub?

The one stapled into your passport when you enter the USA
under the visa waiver program. This has to be surrendered
when you finally leave the US to ensure that the record shows you
left within the 90 day period allowed.

I see - the airline give us this right?

Keith

Old March 26th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Ben Organ

"gman99" wrote in message
"Ben Organ" wrote:
"gman99" wrote in message

I'm UK citizen..

Hope you're white and do not have any ties to the middle
east....recently

Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport was travelling back to

Canada
via
the US, he was deported to Syria although he was / is a Canadian
citizen. He was promptly tortured by the Syrians...took almost a year
to get back

Canada.

Yes white and of English/Irish descent.

Would I need to let the border control know of the places I intend to
stay?

Are you coming from the US or UK ?

From UK to US to Canada to US to UK

If UK you should have no trouble coming
into Canada. We even have a reciprical Health Care agreement I beleive.

You
only need to state the nature of your trip...business or pleasure. Once

you
say pleasure you should be pretty much in the clear. They'll likely ask

how
long you intend on staying...all the regular BS.

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Ken Pisichko

You might want to look at the following page - it has a bunch of "official"
canadian government information and (I think) a FAQ and contact information.

If you are a Uk citizen then you won't need a visa entering Canada. Check with
the US Embassy in London on something like a "multiple entry visa" for the USA
because you seem to be entering and leaving the USA two times while on the North
American side of the Atlantic. Your "circle trip" is done by LOTS of travellers
every year.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/menu-en.asp

Ken
Winnipeg, Canada

Old March 26th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Ben Organ" wrote in message

The one stapled into your passport when you enter the USA
under the visa waiver program. This has to be surrendered
when you finally leave the US to ensure that the record shows you
left within the 90 day period allowed.

I see - the airline give us this right?

The airline gives you the form to fill in. The US immigration official
keeps most of it, stamps your passport and fixes the stub into
it. The airline takes out the stub when you check in for your
return flight.

Keith