Flying and crusing swollen feet

Old November 7th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Queen of Cruising

Default Flying and crusing swollen feet

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:54:21 -0500, Sue and Kevin Mullen
wrote:

Even perfectly healthy people will have a little bit of
swelling from the salt.

Complete crap.
Old November 7th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Cal Ford

FWIW - Airplanes have not been a problem for me, even really long flights. I do
as Howard suggests elsewhere and get out of my seat and stroll around whenever I
can. It really helps I think. My feet used to swell up on Cruises but not for a
long time now. Worst time was on the Mardi Gras back in '78. My feet would not
fit into my shoes and I had to wear slippers to Dinner. Bet that looked
strange......

My main problem is that on the first day I will get carried away by the Sun, the
Sea Air, the Drinks, and I will Sunburn the tops of my feet. That hurts.

Cal Ford
http://www.lidodeckcruises.com
800-511-4417

In article , MsPatty4 says...

remembers flying to Israel - 14 hours non stop - and
haveing a terrible time for a couple of days being unable to wear any
footwear at all.

Just curious, how long does it take for the swelling to go down. I flew last
Monday (6hrs) and my feet are still swollen.

~ Patty

Old November 7th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Mike Quint

Sunny
I think you are right. For me it is also the flying which is another reason
to fly to port a day early. Actually I read once that there is a percentage,
although very small, of people who get blood clots while flying and die
because of them. I always will walk around the cabin, in my stocking feet on
longer flights even if I have to fain going to the head. (Lu for Sunny G)
Mike

The only time I experience swollen feet are on a cruise or when I used
to fly.
However careful I am on a ship nothing helps.
I just bring along a pair of very comfortable sandals and hope for the
besrt

SUNNY.........remembers flying to Israel - 14 hours non stop - and
haveing a terrible time for a couple of days being unable to wear any
footwear at all.

S'nd I.

Old November 7th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Karen Selwyn

EileenMcDonald wrote:

The only thing that seems to help is a daily visit to the ships sauna and
steam room... gets rid of the fluid....'course, it DOES come back, again,
the next day. You need to visit daily.

Another strategy is to spend some time swimming or even walking laps in
the swimming pool. Water pressure is 16 times greater than air pressure.
The water in the pool acts like support hose to drive the fluid from
your legs. Of course, like trips to the sauna and steam room, using the
pool is a daily activity.

Karen Selwyn

Old November 8th, 2003, 12:33 AM
JLeary256

Any remedies!!!

This is dependent edema. The best way to treat this is ELEVATION and NORMAL
fluid intake (I have heard people claim that they needed to drink extra fluids
to get it out of their systems- NOT TRUE). To PREVENT THIS consider TED
stockings- put on before your trip and on NON swollen legs.
Old November 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM
K. Keeney

MSG gives me a very specific type of headache. The headache passes
quickly, but definitely lets me know I've had MSG. I've never gotten
this on a cruise, so I don't think the problem is MSG.

The highest salt item in most cuisine is soup. I avoid soup on cruises,
and don't have significant problems with swollen feet. I wear support
socks (all the time, not just when traveling). I think they help keep
the swelling under control as well.

KK

Becca wrote:

My feet have only swollen twice, both times were on NCL cruises. A
friend of mine mentioned that his feet swell from MSG in the sauces,
soups, etc.

Heat and humidity does not make my feet swell. I live on the Gulf
coast where it is hot and the humidity is 99% most of the time. The
food on the cruise was not salty, I would have noticed that. I am
suspecting he is correct, it must be the MSG.

Becca -----avoids MSG when I can...

GGC http://www.ggc2004.com/
Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

Old November 8th, 2003, 10:27 AM
S.J. Warren

I cruise on Celebrity and always requested 'no salt, no butter' meals
in the dining room as soon as i get on board. That was never a
problem.....
the trouble was when i ate in the buffet, where you have to be very
selective in order to avoid all the sodium.....it is used in large doses
in almost everything except salads. All prepared foods are loaded with
salt.

If you request a specific diet and eat only in the restaurant that
should help, but with open seating at breakfast and lunch, you would
have to request it with each meal.

susan

Old November 8th, 2003, 10:37 AM
S.J. Warren

Default Flying and crusing swollen feet----PATTY

if your feet are still swollen after a week you should call your
physician....sounds like a circulation problem you should have checked
out. the swelling usually goes down over night or a day later, at the
most. Susan

Old November 8th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Jenrose

"Marcia Brown" wrote in message
Any remedies!!!

Drink lots of water.
Don't sit in one position without moving for long periods of time
Put your feet up whenever possible
Get "the right amount" of salt and potassium--not too much, not too little
Don't wear overly tight clothing

I have a clotting disorder, so keeping circulation flowing during travel is
important to me. While flying, I get up and walk every half hour. If I'm
noticing swelling, I go find a space on the floor to sit--the stewardesses
are incredibly helpful with this--they help me find a place that will not be
in their way but will allow me to get my feet really elevated. I get a LOT
of water--I figure if I really have to pee every hour, I'm probably drinking
enough. Oh...and I take enough b-vitamins and other nutrients to help keep
everything working well--one of the worst things you can do for your body
while travelling is subsist on crappy food with too much sugar and salt and
not enough actual food content.

Jenrose

Old November 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Jenrose

"Karen Selwyn" wrote in message
EileenMcDonald wrote:

The only thing that seems to help is a daily visit to the ships sauna

and
steam room... gets rid of the fluid....'course, it DOES come back,

again,
the next day. You need to visit daily.

Another strategy is to spend some time swimming or even walking laps in
the swimming pool. Water pressure is 16 times greater than air pressure.
The water in the pool acts like support hose to drive the fluid from
your legs. Of course, like trips to the sauna and steam room, using the
pool is a daily activity.

Even if you don't swim, getting in cool or warmish (but not hot) water up to
your neck for half an hour usually produces a rapid decrease in swelling and
causes a "fluid dump" (i.e. you'll have to pee). It can also lower blood
pressure at the same time.

Jenrose