advice please

Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:00 PM
Royc

Default advice please

i am in the uk.
am going to sdydney for 3 weeks in dec, is it best to take travellers
cheques, if so what currenty

is there plenty of exchange offices there, as i have seen in populat rsorts
in spain etc.

Roy

Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Stimp

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 Royc wrote:
i am in the uk.
am going to sdydney for 3 weeks in dec, is it best to take travellers
cheques, if so what currenty

Sterling should be fine.

is there plenty of exchange offices there, as i have seen in populat rsorts
in spain etc.

yeah Sydney is pretty much exactly like London, except hotter and
women wearing less

--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"
Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Royc" wrote in message
.uk...
i am in the uk.
am going to sdydney for 3 weeks in dec, is it best to take travellers
cheques, if so what currenty

is there plenty of exchange offices there, as i have seen in populat

rsorts
in spain etc.

Roy

Don't bother with Travellers cheques. I don't even take Oz currency when I
go. Visa or Master Card are sufficient.

Gerrit - Perth

Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:39 PM
Royc

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message

"Royc" wrote in message
.uk...
i am in the uk.
am going to sdydney for 3 weeks in dec, is it best to take travellers
cheques, if so what currenty

is there plenty of exchange offices there, as i have seen in populat

rsorts
in spain etc.

Roy

Don't bother with Travellers cheques. I don't even take Oz currency when I
go. Visa or Master Card are sufficient.

Gerrit - Perth

dont it work out expensive?

roy

Old October 22nd, 2005, 04:12 PM
gilbert

Royc wrote:
"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote

Don't bother with Travellers cheques. I don't even take Oz currency
when I go. Visa or Master Card are sufficient.

dont it work out expensive?

If you can, get a Nationwide Flexaccount (Chequing AC) and/or Visa Card -
they do not charge foreign exchange commission (which is usually 2.5%). My
recent trip to Sydney was just like being in the UK - I drew cash from the
ATM when I needed it, and used my credit card for everything else, and no
fee. When I went the Post Office and Thos Cook were offering $2.20/pound
exchange. Nationwide gave me around $2.38/pound.
Cheers
Gilbert

Old October 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Scotty

"Royc" wrote in message
.uk...
i am in the uk.
am going to sdydney for 3 weeks in dec, is it best to take travellers
cheques, if so what currenty

is there plenty of exchange offices there, as i have seen in populat

rsorts
in spain etc.

Roy

Don't bother with Travellers cheques. I don't even take Oz currency when I
go. Visa or Master Card are sufficient.

Gerrit - Perth

Thats best advise so far. Visa and Master card widely accepted and money
machines a plenty around main centres. Diners and American Express both
attract an extra 3% on most purchases here in Australia.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Royc

"gilbert" wrote in message
Royc wrote:
"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote

Don't bother with Travellers cheques. I don't even take Oz currency
when I go. Visa or Master Card are sufficient.

dont it work out expensive?

If you can, get a Nationwide Flexaccount (Chequing AC) and/or Visa Card -
they do not charge foreign exchange commission (which is usually 2.5%). My
recent trip to Sydney was just like being in the UK - I drew cash from the
ATM when I needed it, and used my credit card for everything else, and no
fee. When I went the Post Office and Thos Cook were offering $2.20/pound
exchange. Nationwide gave me around $2.38/pound.
Cheers
Gilbert

that sounds good, is it any visa card thats free to use?

roy

Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
gilbert

Royc wrote:

that sounds good, is it any visa card that's free to use?

Any Nationwide card.

Lifted from the Nationwide site...
When you use your FlexAccount Debit Card or Nationwide Credit Card to
withdraw cash or make purchases abroad, Nationwide will not charge you a
currency conversion fee. Your purchases and cash withdrawals will be
converted to sterling at a rate set by VISA. Card providers have the option
of adding a percentage to that exchange rate. This is a currency conversion
fee.

It is important that you always pay for your purchases abroad in the local
currency and not sterling. This is because some shops may use higher
exchange rates and charge commission to convert your purchases into
sterling.

If you use your FlexAccount Cheque Guarantee Card to withdraw cash abroad,
you will not be charged a currency conversion fee at CIRRUS machines. Unlike
most financial organisations, Nationwide will not charge you for using your
card abroad.*

* Nationwide will not charge members for using any cash machines, but the
machine provider may make charges over which we have no control.

Cheers
Gilbert

Old October 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"Royc" wrote in message
.uk...
i am in the uk.
am going to sdydney for 3 weeks in dec, is it best to take travellers
cheques, if so what currenty

is there plenty of exchange offices there, as i have seen in populat
rsorts in spain etc.

Roy

No use a debit card and credit card and bring some cash.

--
www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php Backpacking Australia Forum.