Children on planes

Old December 21st, 2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Children on planes

Perry Lea wrote:
How about banning all children from flying. How about special routes just
for you brats.

Hear! Hear! Perry!
I am fed up with the pandering of children and parents with no control over
their twerps. I flew Ohare to Rome with my parents in 1974 and I remember
being kept quite, occupied, and polite.

Certainly some children are, but the last 60% of my - DOMESTIC - trip[s
have had a multitude of brats runnign aisles, screaming, throwing things,
rocking back and forth, crawling under the seats, banging on the tray, and
more screaming.

One kid even came up to my laptop and started touching the LCD screen with
his gooey fingers. I informed him and his mother about behavior and
etiquette.

Get your damn little runts off the plane.

Yep. It's the answer!

Old December 21st, 2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Dennis P. Harris

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:28:13 GMT in rec.travel.air, "Perry Lea"
wrote:

How about banning all children from flying.

I have a better answer, I put you in my killfile. PLONK.

If you don't want kids on a flight, charter your own bleeping
jet.

Old December 21st, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharon

In article , "Perry Lea" writes:

How about banning all children from flying. How about special routes just
for you brats.

I am fed up with the pandering of children and parents with no control over
their twerps. I flew Ohare to Rome with my parents in 1974 and I remember
being kept quite, occupied, and polite.

Certainly some children are, but the last 60% of my - DOMESTIC - trip[s
have had a multitude of brats runnign aisles, screaming, throwing things,
rocking back and forth, crawling under the seats, banging on the tray, and
more screaming.

One kid even came up to my laptop and started touching the LCD screen with
his gooey fingers. I informed him and his mother about behavior and
etiquette.

A few weeks ago on a business trip, there was a lady with a child
seated behind me in coach. The kid was around 2 or 3, and by eavesdropping I
learned that they were from South Africa, coming to Chicago to visit family
over the holidays. I was eavesdropping only because the lady had a delightful
accent. She and the kid had been flying for about 18 hours so far, and were on
their last leg. Despite both being pretty exhausted, the kid was really pretty
well-behaved and quiet, and the mom kept up a running conversation with her and
the man next to her to keep her occupied.
She would tell the kid things like "don't kick the lady's chair or
she'll get quite cross", "don't touch the lady's hair or she'll get cross". I
thought it was charming, but what impressed me even more... after being warned
like that - in a totally kind but serious tone, she never did it again.
Can you imagine an American kid being told "don't kick the lady's chair
or she'll get mad". The American kid would be like "wtf should I care?" kick
kick kick kick kick....

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.support.childfree
ant[_12_]

Perry Lea wrote:
How about banning all children from flying. How about special routes
just for you brats.

How about a special place for the kids, like in the hold. Or a kid section,
walled off from the rest of the plane. Imagine the horror of that section!

I am fed up with the pandering of children and parents with no
control over their twerps. I flew Ohare to Rome with my parents in
1974 and I remember being kept quite, occupied, and polite.

Certainly some children are, but the last 60% of my - DOMESTIC -
trip[s have had a multitude of brats runnign aisles, screaming,
throwing things, rocking back and forth, crawling under the seats,
banging on the tray, and more screaming.

Just like any public transport nowadays. the kids make a racket, and the
parents seem to encourage them. They vandalise stuff, yell and scream, pry
into other passengers stuff, and the parents seem proud!

One kid even came up to my laptop and started touching the LCD screen
with his gooey fingers. I informed him and his mother about
behavior and etiquette.

You didn't bounce him off the wall of the plane?

Get your damn little runts off the plane.
"Steve" wrote in message

Excerpts from http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet

There's a growing storm surrounding British Airways' policy against
seating children next to male strangers, even when the child's
parents are on the same flight. The policy's impetus? The perceived
threat of a man sexually abusing a child.

Recently, a nine-year-old girl on a British Airways flight was moved
from her seat next to a 76-year-old man and his wife. The male
passenger, Michael Kemp, was first asked to switch seats with his
wife, but his wife refused because of a bad leg that required the
added space of an aisle seat. The stewardess ultimately refused to
seat the girl next to Kemp or between the pair, because doing so
would violate British Airways' child-welfare regulations. Once the
flap was publicized, an airline spokesperson said, "We apologise if
Mr. Kemp was offended by our request, but we have to balance the needs
of the
child with those of the adult."

Both Air New Zealand and Qantas have adopted a similar policy
banning children from sitting next to male strangers.

The logic of these airlines' policy rests on the greater occurrence
of child sex abuse by men. Men do account for 86% of sexual abuse
cases reported against boys and 94% of cases reported against girls,
according to the US National Center for Post Traumatic Stress
Disorder. But if those statistics were the basis of public policy,
we couldn't have classrooms, sports teams, day care centers or
summer camps led by men.

The memo delivered to children by BA's policy is: Men are scary and
not to be trusted. As Wendy McElroy reasoned, "Kids may hesitate to
approach a policeman or fireman who are, after all, still men. And
how is that message being heard by the boys who will grow into men?"

Not to mention that preventing kids from being seated next to
strangers probably isn't the best way to prevent sexual assault; a
mere 10 percent of child sex-abuse cases are perpetrated by
strangers. The policy is irrational and hysterical; worse yet, it's
sexist. As McElroy writes: "One thing is clear: some airlines are
going to treat your father, husband, and son as sex offenders
simply because they are male."

--

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul.

...George Bernard Shaw

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.support.childfree
Jules W.

Cate Blanchett was on Letterman tonight, talking fondly of her two
young boys, whom she allowed to play "superhero" up and down the aisle
during a 30-hour flight. She had a stupid smile on her face as she
related this story as well.

To his credit, Letterman said, "Ouch, that's not good" or something
like that...

I guess she must have expected to be congratulated for her vigilant
un-parenting.

I like her as an actress but there would have been some serious
bitch-slapping if I'd been on that flight puttin' up with that runnin'
and yellin' when there's nowhere else to escape (besides the restroom).

Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 06:33:29 -0500, Dori wrote:

"Jules W." wrote:
Cate Blanchett was on Letterman tonight, talking fondly of her two
young boys, whom she allowed to play "superhero" up and down the aisle
during a 30-hour flight. She had a stupid smile on her face as she
related this story as well.

That whistling sound you hear is my liking of her taking a spiral
crash course. Damn.

Hi

Perhaps somebody should have suggested that they go and play
outside!!!

Regards

KGB

Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DaveM

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:25:39 +1100, "ant" wrote:

Just like any public transport nowadays. the kids make a racket, and the
parents seem to encourage them. They vandalise stuff, yell and scream, pry
into other passengers stuff, and the parents seem proud!

Still, they have to be better than adults with their head stuck so far up
their arse, it appears to be in the regular position, don't you think?

DaveM
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Jules W. wrote:
Cate Blanchett was on Letterman tonight, talking fondly of her two
young boys, whom she allowed to play "superhero" up and down the aisle
during a 30-hour flight. She had a stupid smile on her face as she
related this story as well.

A 30 hour flight. That airline must have had extra fuel tanks.
Old December 24th, 2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air
GregWA

Here here!!
I agree with most in this group, ban kids full stop. Too many times do
we have to put up with misbehaved kids not only on domestic but long
hauls also.
It's about time the parents took some control.

Cheers GregWA
Perth, West Oz

Old December 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
-L.

Sharon wrote:
snip

She would tell the kid things like "don't kick the lady's chair or
she'll get quite cross", "don't touch the lady's hair or she'll get cross". I
thought it was charming, but what impressed me even more... after being warned
like that - in a totally kind but serious tone, she never did it again.
Can you imagine an American kid being told "don't kick the lady's chair
or she'll get mad". The American kid would be like "wtf should I care?" kick
kick kick kick kick....

Depends on the kid, his age, the circumstances and parenting. Believe
or not some kids in the US do understand such concepts. My child is
much more likely to comply with a command if he thinks someone will get
hurt if he doesn't. He's almost 3.

-L.