Recent experiences: Virgin or British Airways

Old December 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Recent experiences: Virgin or British Airways

I just booked my first L.A. to London flight on British Airways and I
would greatly appreciate it if anyone out there could give me recent
and detailed experiences on BA. I am very used to traveling on Virgin,
as I usually make this trip once a year, but this time BA had a
significantly better price. Here's what I love about Virgin that I hope
I won't miss too much on BA:

Seat selection: on Virgin, you can choose right when you book; on BA,
it looks like you have to wait until 24 hours before your flight!
Entertainment: Virgin has individual seat backs and it's DVR style;
that is, you can pause, stop, start, etc.at will from the menu of
entertainment
Food: Virgin feeds (and waters/liquors) you almost constantly and the
food is usually edible
Amenity packet: Yeah, it's silly, but I look forward to it.
Again, it's silly but I love their uniforms!

Someone, if there are any advantages that you have found that BA
offers, I would LOVE to hear them.

Thanks so much,
Jennifer

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

wrote:
I just booked my first L.A. to London flight on British Airways and I
would greatly appreciate it if anyone out there could give me recent
and detailed experiences on BA. I am very used to traveling on Virgin,
as I usually make this trip once a year, but this time BA had a
significantly better price. Here's what I love about Virgin that I hope
I won't miss too much on BA:

Seat selection: on Virgin, you can choose right when you book; on BA,
it looks like you have to wait until 24 hours before your flight!

Yup. Now, of course, so did alot of other folks. And many of them
won't bother until they arrive at the airport. So if it is important
to you,
make sure to do it as soon as you can and you should find a fair
amount of seat selection available.

Entertainment: Virgin has individual seat backs and it's DVR style;
that is, you can pause, stop, start, etc.at will from the menu of
entertainment

This is aircraft dependent. Check for what aircraft you are
flying
and see if their website will tell you what is available. Last time
(2 years ago) I flew, BA had no such features. VA's were aircraft
dependent.

Food: Virgin feeds (and waters/liquors) you almost constantly and the
food is usually edible

Virgins service has slowly been improving over the years. I still
find them "streaky" in that they tend to do what they do relatively
well, but try getting a drink outside of their normals service times
and they seem confused. I will say BA tends to run out of
everything before arrival.

Amenity packet: Yeah, it's silly, but I look forward to it.

That would be better described as a "marketing packet" as
it is filled with items someone else paid them to place in it.
BA may have started that revenue stream, I'm not sure. They
hadn't 2 years agon.

Again, it's silly but I love their uniforms!

Someone, if there are any advantages that you have found that BA
offers, I would LOVE to hear them.

Not that I've ever found. Their primary advantage is they have a
larger system and if you are making connections is a bit easier.

Old December 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
js

Mike Hunt wrote:

More destinations. More lounges.. Frequent flyer partnerships
Better food than Virgin

You need to stop by Peter's Clubhouse at Heathrow....

Old December 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
One Way Ticket

My limited observation, BA has better service and Virgin better
entertainment options. No real difference in the menus.

I do not travel long flights without bringing along my own water,
usually three 750ml bottles. On most long flights you will not be
served enough fluids. Keeping yourself hydrated will help to avoid jet
lag.

Old December 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On 29 Dec 2006 04:14:03 -0800, "Riaz" wrote:

Virgin flight attendants are models prancing around (and gossiping in
the galleys) whereas BA flight attendants tend to focus on cabin
service.

Wonder how the Virgins re-act in emergency situations?
They have always struck me as not being very professional,
but maybe that is just a facade.
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Gregory Morrow[_14_]

irwell wrote:

On 29 Dec 2006 04:14:03 -0800, "Riaz" wrote:

Virgin flight attendants are models prancing around (and gossiping in
the galleys) whereas BA flight attendants tend to focus on cabin
service.

Wonder how the Virgins re-act in emergency situations?
They have always struck me as not being very professional,
but maybe that is just a facade.

Are they slags...???

--
Best
Greg

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Riaz

irwell wrote:
On 29 Dec 2006 04:14:03 -0800, "Riaz" wrote:

Virgin flight attendants are models prancing around (and gossiping in
the galleys) whereas BA flight attendants tend to focus on cabin
service.

Wonder how the Virgins re-act in emergency situations?
They have always struck me as not being very professional,
but maybe that is just a facade.

I keep hearing this from a lot of travellers. Something not right about
VA FAs in the professional department. Might have something to do with
the fact that they are paid very little when they start off with the
company (first hand from a VA FA that I happen to know).