Telphone Call at Venice Airport

Old April 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

Default Telphone Call at Venice Airport

I will arrive at the Venice airport at 6:45 pm (if my plane is on
time) one day next month. I will need to almost immediately make a
call to somebody I have to meet to let him know when we can meet.

So I need to buy a SIM card for Italian calls to put into my Samsung
T-Mobile cell phone. Can someone tell me whether there is a place to
buy one in the airport and if it's open that late?

If there is a place to buy one, where is it, and approximately how
much will the SIM card cost me?

Thanks in advance.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

Ken Blake ha scritto:

I will arrive at the Venice airport at 6:45 pm (if my plane is on
time) one day next month. I will need to almost immediately make a
call to somebody I have to meet to let him know when we can meet.

So I need to buy a SIM card for Italian calls to put into my Samsung
T-Mobile cell phone. Can someone tell me whether there is a place to
buy one in the airport and if it's open that late?

6:45 PM is absolutely not too late, for Italy, and in an airport...
I'm considering if maybe is a waste of money to buy a SIM only for few
phone calls...
Maybe a public phone or your own SIM card is better (and maybe cheaper).
All Mobile Phone companies in Italy sell SIM cards at around 10 EUR with
5 EUR of phone calls credit.
Sometime in big malls you can find also free complimentary SIM cards
with 5 EUR of phone credit.
SIM cards that you can recharge, if you finish you credit.
The diffcult is that the card is not working until the Phone company has
recorded you data (Name, Country, ecc. ecc.), normally you must wait 24
hours at least (also for free SIM cards, you MUST give your identity
data), so if you need to do an early call, is not good.

Ciao, Piero.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On 25 Apr 2009 02:25:35 GMT, ask before sending e-mail

On 2009-04-24, Ken Blake wrote:
If there is a place to buy one, where is it, and approximately how
much will the SIM card cost me?

for my recent trip to the U.K. i looked into what was needed and my
sense was that it was going to be relatively difficult for a
non-resident to procure a SIM card once in-country. not impossible, just
difficult due to the amount of paperwork. i read stories of taking up
to four hours waiting around for all the chips to fall into place. i
didn't have that kind of time to spare.

Eh?

You can buy a SIM card, and have the phone working in minutes, buying
a sim card in the UK requires no more paperwork or waiting around or
complications than buying a bottle of milk, the same supermarkets sell
them.

Jim.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

Ken Blake wrote:

I will arrive at the Venice airport at 6:45 pm (if my plane is on
time) one day next month. I will need to almost immediately make a
call to somebody I have to meet to let him know when we can meet.

So I need to buy a SIM card for Italian calls to put into my Samsung
T-Mobile cell phone. Can someone tell me whether there is a place to
buy one in the airport and if it's open that late?

If there is a place to buy one, where is it, and approximately how
much will the SIM card cost me?

Forget it. It took me two days and three hours to get an new SIM card
activated in Italy in December last year.
Use your own SIM card for this phone call.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas

Old April 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:36:30 +0200, Andreas H. Zappel
wrote:

Ken Blake wrote:

I will arrive at the Venice airport at 6:45 pm (if my plane is on
time) one day next month. I will need to almost immediately make a
call to somebody I have to meet to let him know when we can meet.

So I need to buy a SIM card for Italian calls to put into my Samsung
T-Mobile cell phone. Can someone tell me whether there is a place to
buy one in the airport and if it's open that late?

If there is a place to buy one, where is it, and approximately how
much will the SIM card cost me?

Forget it. It took me two days and three hours to get an new SIM card
activated in Italy in December last year.
Use your own SIM card for this phone call.

Thanks, but my SIM card isn't an option, because I have a prepaid
T-mobile account and I need a different SIM card to make calls outside
the USA.

But last night I ordered a very inexpensive SIM card from Amazon.com,
which should be here in a few days. I'm glad to have it before I leave
so I don't have to worry about where to find one at the airport. I
hope it works and I don't have the same problems you did, but we'll
see.