Travel pack or backpack?

Old September 15th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Default Travel pack or backpack?

Any thoughts on buying a "travel" pack.... vs using a
backpack and then carrying a cover that goes over it to
contain straps and such for when traveling by air or
train?

Im thinking Id like to buy some kind of backpack for
travel purposes..... like kicking around the US...or
even touring Europe.... but know little abt them.

If you would recommended a true travel pack..... what
brands and models are considered good units?
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:52 PM

I like this company, click http://www.toughtraveler.com/
to view.

Do you have one of these bags??
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Dan Stephenson

In article ,
wrote:

Any thoughts on buying a "travel" pack.... vs using a
backpack and then carrying a cover that goes over it to
contain straps and such for when traveling by air or
train?

Im thinking Id like to buy some kind of backpack for
travel purposes..... like kicking around the US...or
even touring Europe.... but know little abt them.

If you would recommended a true travel pack..... what
brands and models are considered good units?

I have a 'travel pack' - also called a 'conversion pack'. It doesn't
have a cover, but rather the straps tuck into pockets so you can carry
it with a handle like a suitcase. I like this option because it
doesn't seem to loose anything to a full up backpack, but I believe it
has enabled me to get away with carrying it with me onto an airplane,
whereas a big thing on my back would have been flagged and put into the
infernal luggage handling systems.

I have a Northface Gailileo. I liked it because while the daypack that
comes with it zips onto the outside of the main pack, when removed both
day and main packs looks like they are supposed to be apart. Plus the
daypack has lots of pockets/features like I appreciate.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from my 3-month European vacation:
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:16 PM

I have a 'travel pack' - also called a 'conversion pack'. It doesn't
have a cover, but rather the straps tuck into pockets so you can carry
it with a handle like a suitcase.

OK Dan.... that is what Im trying to decide... i.e.
whether to get a "conversion" pack like you have.... or
a real backpack and just carry a bag/cover to put it in
when checking it in to fly.

Right now Im leaning towards a conversion pack. Now I
just have to decide what brand and model I suppose.
Kind of hard to do as I live in a very rural area and
cant go look at any of this stuff in person very easy

Im leaning towards the Tough Traveler Tri Zip..... or
maybe the Patagonia MLC.

Does anyone know anything abt either of these packs?
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I have a Northface Gailileo.

Wow that doesn't look like something you could carry
on. Looks to big

I guess it isn't tho, right?

And you can easily get away wit carrying it on a
flight?
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Tom Welch

John:

I have the Sport D Duffel, but
your requirements maybe different.

Tom Welch
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:39 PM

I have the Sport D Duffel, but
your requirements maybe different.

No.... actually Ive thought abt a good bullet proof
duffle as well. As long as the duffel could also be
worn backpack style and had shoulder straps and a waist
belt.

Can your duffel be worn like a backpack....and does it
have shoulder straps AND a waist belt?

I actually wouldn't mind the one big open space of a
duffle..... but I definetly want to wear it backpack
style if needed...hence the question above.
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:42 PM

I have the Sport D Duffel, but
your requirements maybe different.

Tom Welch

Tom...I did a Goggle on the above but not sure if I
found it or not.

Who makes the "Sport D" duffel? Do you have a link for
it?
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Tom Welch

John: