NY JFK public transportation

Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:02 AM
Brian Wickham

On Fri, 20 May 2005 03:58:21 GMT, "spam_me_not"
wrote:

I'm visiting New York in summer and plan to fly into JFK. Is it possible to
take public transportation such as the bus line to the Port Authority? I
know there's some kind of private airport bus that goes there but it costs
$15 and with two of us, that's more than we want to spend. It seems possible
that I can take public transit via bus and subway but I'd like confirmation
from anyone who's done it. Thanks.

I've done it to try it out for visiting relatives who decided to take
the $15 bus. It isn't hard but I would avoid the public transit buses
at JFK. The rides are long.

My choice would be to take the Air Train to Jamaica at $5 per person.
From there go down the escalator, turn left on the street and walk to
the E train entrance a half block away. Take the E train all the way
to 42 Street/Port Authority (assuming that is where you want to go.)

The total cost is $7 per person assuming you are not using a weekly
Metrocard (which you can't use on the Air Train anyway).

My second choice would be the Q10 bus to Kew Gardens where it meets up
with the E & F trains. That would be one $2 fare per person for the
whole trip. You must have a Metrocard to use the subway and you must
use a Metrocard on the bus to get a free transfer to the subway. You
can get Metrocards at the Air Train stations. Be aware - the last
time I was at JFK ALL city buses stopped at the Terminal 4 Air Train
stop only. There is no other place to pick up a city bus.

Queens bus map at
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

NYC Subway map at
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Brian

Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Rog'

Rita wrote:
for those of us who like to travel as much as possible, we do
watch our $30s . . . Make sense to you?

So much that I wish I'd written it as it's precisely how I think.
I can afford just about anything I choose but don't see the point in
spending umpteen bucks for a hotel, for example, in which I'll be,
at most, ten hours a day and most of those while unconscious.

I don't have a problem with that, but sometimes there's trade-off
which makes the alternative of spending a few extra bucks
worthwhile. I guess its a matter of what you're willing to put up
with. To me, spending hours on a bus isn't worth the savings. =R=

Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:55 AM
Mark Brader

Rita writes:
Another cheapie [hotel] in Switzerland had a waterfall outside
the little balcony.

It's off-topic for the newsgroup, but what hotel was that? Or, at
least, what town was it in?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...ordinarily, a 65-pound alligator in an apartment
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Dan

Default NY JFK public transportation

Actually, the Q10 bus to the A train at Lefferts (or even the E/F line
at Union Tpke) will probably take the same amount of time as the
Airtrain to the E at Jamaica Center. If you take the Airtrain to
Jamaica Center to try to save on time, then you're better off using the
LIRR.

I think someone already posted about the Q10 - it takes about 15-20
minutes to get to the A stop on Lefferts (depending on what terminal
you are coming from), then the A train runs local until Euclid Ave and
then express into Manhattan. In all, a trip to 42nd Street would take
about an hour of travel time. If you take the Q10 further up Lefferts,
through Kew Gardens to the Union Turnpike stop, the trip will still be
about 60-75 minutes to 42nd St.

You can also take the B15 bus from JFK to the Aqueduct stop on the A
train (there is an entrance to the subway station under an overpass
that crosses Conduit) - the travel time on the bus is shorter and the
time on the train is about the same, so figure on the trip taking about
50-60 minutes total.